5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Dr Spock
Published on 26 Oct. 2008 by Anastasia Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Get an earlier edition
Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care is a great book, but this applies only to the versions written by Dr Spock himself.

Published 15 months ago by Cyril Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Dr Spock, 26 Oct. 2008
Good old Dr Spock. He is the best. He knows that at heart we all want to raise civil, friendly, happy, confident children, and he shows us how to steer things so we get one. His descriptions of children at different ages and stages - in all their individuality and difference - is spot on. He is so SENSIBLE, and yet he understands the worries of mothers better than any other writer about baby and child care. (Yes! I know he's dead.) It's just that common sense and kindness and generosity of spirit live on in new editions. Don't try to raise a child without a copy. That is my advice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get an earlier edition, 9 Feb. 2014

Sadly, since he died in 1998 the publishers have used his name as a brand for many books that were not written by him. You might think that this book would be different, seen as Benjamin Spock is listed as its author, but it isn't. The book has been extensively rewritten in such a way that almost everything good about the old versions has been lost.

The beauty of Dr Spock's own version of the book is that speaks sensitively and helpfully about both the emotional and the practical aspects of being a parent. It integrates the two, which is a rare thing. What has happened since is that the book has been rewritten by medical doctors who lack Spock's psychological training. As a result, the later editions focus far too much on giving factual advice. They are crammed full of facts and information (this edition is more than twice the length of the earlier ones), and have been stripped of the wonderfully thoughtful passages that made the original great.

My advice is to get a used copy of the book published before 1998 (when Spock died) - I bought the 7th edition. Later editions do not live up to the book's reputation, but the earlier ones really do and are worth 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Commonsense advise in your bookshelf!, 20 Jan. 2010
To read a book how to raise a child is not the same thing as learning to drive a car, but it's time well spent! Dr Spock gives commonsense advise that you at 04 o'clock in the morning may not think of when your child is crying his eyes out for "no reason". For us it was like having mum, mother in-law and Grandma in the bookshelf, ready to give us advise when we needed it most. No question is too small for Dr Spock, and the answers are not condescending, patronising nor make you feel like a useless parent.

Unlike many other books we have looked at, Dr Spock's old (fashion?) device are still very much up to date. There are not "You have to do it EXCACTLY like this or..." or telling you how to stick to a regime "so that you don't spoil your child", bar from maybe understand the important of routines. But questions from how to cut nails, no poo nappies for some time/to too many poo nappies to the Big Issue: Baby don't sleep through the night are all there.

With Dr Spock you are armed with confidence and you can concentrate on just enjoying your child and deal with what may come -if it ever happens!

/P&O

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it ever was, 19 Mar. 2010
I bought this book, which was my bible many years ago, for my daughter-in-law who says it is so full of common sense and wisdom that she cannot envisage life without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care, 2 Mar. 2012
Having brought up our two children using the guidance offered by Dr Spock, I purchased the updated version to help with our new grandchild. I'm sure the content will be of great benefit to readers but I was very disappointed with the quality and clarity of the new, much more cheaply produced edition. The paper quality, the construction of the book and particularly the small format make it a challenge to read and I suspect it will fall to pieces very quickly if used with any frequency.

Spend more money and get a better, more quality edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care, 26 Feb. 2010
Mrs. P. M. Gidney (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
My grandson put it on my account by mistake - I'm past needing such books! Though I did find it very helpful about sixty years ago! His baby is due soon - needing this book seems to be a generation thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars History repeats Itself, 14 Feb. 2011
46 years ago, I purchased my first Dr. Spock, and it was the bible to us young things of the time, on how to care for children. Today, it has resumed it's place on the bookshelves, and is once again being widely consulted. What you get here are the answers to the questions in a truthful, honest and down-to-earth way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real help for new parents, 4 Nov. 2008
A Passer By "Book Lover" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It is a brilliant book. I bought it when I was pregnant and read it all. I had so many questions regarding pregnancy, delivery and baby care and this book was of an incredible help and use for me. I am really happy to have it read. I would really recommend it for new moms and dads . I think it could be suitable for nannies and childminders as well. This book has everything one needs to know about children and about themselves when they are with children.
The thing which I liked most about this book is that it is very positive, modern, liberal and open-minded.
For example, Dr. Spock introduces hospital delivery and home delivery, breastfeeding and bottle feeding, disposable nappies and cloth...Later on in the book there are chapters about spoiling, feeding, diet, school, learning, allergies, nutrition, bullying, disabilities, domestic violence, adoption, sleep, cultural differences, sexuality, babysitters, grandparents, games, religious beliefs, death, colic, divorce, depression, tantrums, stepfamilies, single-parent and gay/lesbian families.
This book covers childcare from prebirth to adolescence, has loads of advice and help for parents (with contact numbers and websites), also it is answering a lot of questions about toddler's, children's and teen's behaviour and how can an adult successfuly and maturely manage it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really generous book, 7 Feb. 2011
A true life saver! Is there anything that dr Spock has not included in this book? I Doubt it... It really helped after the birth of my daughter. I totally recomend it to all parents and parents - to be. The instructions manual we've all been looking for. Thank you dr Spock...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Spock's Baby and Childcare, 9 Sept. 2010
This is the classic and it still works. It has a sensible and understanding air and gives ressurance for those difficult moments. Like an affable uncle, Dr Spock cheers you up as he gives advice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care
Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care by Stephen Parker (Hardcover - 1 July 1998)
Used & New from: £3.75