4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful futuristic dystopia
Condie writes in a way that draws the reader in, her characters are relatable and the Society she has created is something that can be understood but not liked. Cassia, Ky and Xander are wonderful characters with a depth that develops throughout the trilogy.
Published 15 months ago by BekahCat

Published 20 months ago by Daniel

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful futuristic dystopia, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Matched Trilogy Box Set: Matched/Crossed/Reached (Hardcover)
The Matched Trilogy is full of twists that keep you on your toes, you have to keep thinking and wondering what might happen next.
She builds tension well and you can feel the strain Cassia feels at times. You can also feel the love she has for her friends and family and the disdain she begins to feel towards the Officials.
I also love how Condie was able to tie in the beautiful poetry from Dylan Thomas and other wonderful poets.
It was a story I just couldn't put down.

Reading Matched I struggled to have any feelings for Xander but as his character develops through the books I was able to sympathise with how he felt. All of Condie's characters develop well through this trilogy. Some of this trilogy seemed somewhat slow paced but that was easily made up in the faster paced, tension fuelled scenes.

Condie's writing flows well throughout the books, it has a very poetic feel to it, I found this series gripping and exciting.
I love her design of this dystopian future. We don't know what happened to the world to create this Society but that doesn't matter. The people in the Society aren't outright oppressed or in danger, they honestly don't know any better, but as readers we know that it is not as perfect a world as the Society would have its citizens believe. We can see that Condie's Society is not one of progression it is stagnant and unmoving; as though the Officials are scared of development and change. Humanity cannot live this long without creativity or change.

Read more of this review at: bekahcat(dot)wordpress(dot)com

3.0 out of 5 stars High expectations, sloppy romance that made me want to move on., 28 July 2013
Hearing great reviews about these books from friends I was highly encouraged to read this series. Loving the whole dystopian genre, I plunged straight into the idea of having your life controlled for you from birth. The Matched trilogy focuses on the main character of Cassia who lives in a "perfect" world where everything is decided by the Society. Even when she reaches the age to be matched, the many factorials are carefully sorted for optimal results. When a glitch in the seemingly perfect system appears, it leaves Cassia to wonder if the Society really is all it has been built up to be. She meets Ky, an outcast aberration, whom she has confusing and romantic feelings for, even though she has been matched with her childhood best friend, Xander. She soon decides she wants to make her own choices for what she can and can't do. Being a novel focused mainly on romance I was skeptical at first but I was assured by friends that there was the subtle undertone of the love triangle. I'm not afraid of romance type books but this one really pushed it a bit far for me. The character of Cassia seemed to really get on my nerves after a while and it seemed that every other thing she did in the story line was predictable after the first book. The ending of 'Reached' for me was not really adequate for me and I would have liked something a bit more substantial. HOWEVER, it may seem as if I'm slandering off this series but don't fret. I do have good things to say about this trilogy. The idea was played very well in these novels and the world building was spectacular and really reflects Ally Condie's writing style which is really good. Overall this serious was really good but definitely overplayed the romantic vibes, but perhaps that's just me being a guy.

Matched Trilogy Box Set: Matched/Crossed/Reached
Matched Trilogy Box Set: Matched/Crossed/Reache
d
by Ally Condie (Hardcover - 13 Nov. 2012)