5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of A Trillian Books
Cassia lives in a future world where everything is controlled by Society. People where different colour uniforms depending on their status, meals - all nutritionally tailored for the individual - are supplied. Even death is controlled.

Published on 2 Dec 2010 by Tasha

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Logan's run mixed with Equilibrium
Published on 27 April 2011 by Travis

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of A Trillian Books, 2 Dec 2010
Tasha (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)

The story starts with Cassia about to attend the ceremony where she gets to find out who she is to be Matched with,.ie. who she'll marry when she's older. For most people this is usually someone they've never met before but Cassia's match ends up being her best friend, Xander. The matchees are given data cards with information about their match, obviously pointless to Xander and Cassia, they grew ip together after all but Cassia decides to take a look anyway, only to have a picture of another boy flash up on the screen briefly. Cassia wonders if there has been some mistake. Could it be that this boy is actually her match. It's strange because Society doesn't make mistakes and even stranger because she also knows the other boy, Ky.

In lots of ways, Matched is very typical of dystopian fiction. An 'ideal' world where everything is controlled to the extreme, supposedly for the good of the people and a protagonist who starts to doubt the rules. It's a very well written and interesting story. There's probably not enough depth to some of the characters but I think that will come with future books in the series. It would have been too overwhelming to go too much into this as well as setting up and explaining the storyworld. Saying that however, I adored both the relationship between Cassia and Xander and that which grew between Cassia and Ky.

Throughout, the book was really enjoyable and was one that I could have quite easily read through in one go if I'd had the time to be able to do that. The only part I was slightly disappointed in was the ending as there didn't really seem to be one. However, having now seen that it is the first of a planned trilogy, it wasn't such a bad way to finish up; especially as it's left me wanting the next book right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Matched, 29 Nov 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
Matched is without a doubt one of my favourite books of 2010. I loved every single page, and could have quite easily read the sequel straight away. Unfortunately there's a bit of a wait for that so, as always, I'll have to be patient. I started Matched at about 1am in the morning, and read right through to 7am. I didn't sleep at all that day, and spent my day trip to London (to meet John Green) looking like a zombie out of one of Carrie Ryan's books. It was so worth it though, because there's no way I could have slept without knowing how the first part of Cassia's story ended.

The first thing that struck me about Matched was Ally Condie's writing. I know some people will probably disagree with me, but I thought it was brilliant. Certain passages were so beautifully written that they almost read like poetry, and I couldn't tear my eyes away. It's such a strong start to the series, and you wouldn't guess it was Condie's first dystopian novel. It's SO GOOD

Condie's world building was also fantastic. The society was mysterious and suffocating, and the idea that choice and free will no longer exists was a scary thought. I think I speak for everyone when I say that a world where you couldn't choose who to marry or how many children to have would be a nightmare. Not to mention the fact that, in Cassia's world, even your death is preordained. Nothing is left to chance, and to me that's the worst thing that could ever happen to individuals in a society. It would lead to mundane existences and a neverending routine filled with rules and regulations. No thanks. I have no idea how Cassia coped with it, though when it's all you've ever known, I guess it's easy to.

At first, I thought Cassia was quite a bland, nondescript character. She didn't seem to have any stand out qualities or memorable traits, though that was before she fell in love with a boy who wasn't her match. I was happy with Cassia's best friend Xander as her match -- they were compatible, they fit well and they knew each other inside out. It wasn't until Ky first appeared that I thought there could be any other person for Cassia. Wow, was I wrong! Matched uses a dangerous, epic love triangle to emphasise the society's role in Cassia's life, and it's beyond anything I was expecting. I couldn't have predicted some of the plot twists if I'd tried, and instead they hit me like a fork of lightning.

Cassia had some ridiculously hard choices to make in Matched; had I been in her shoes I would have crumbled under the pressure and emotional weight of it all. There's no way I could have lived like that and been afraid for my life at the same time. She deals with everything thrown at her, which shows incredible strength of character. By the end of the book I absolutely loved her, as well as the boys and her lovely family. I haven't read a book with such a well-rounded, diverse set of characters for a long time, but in Matched there was no-one I didn't like.

Well, I think that's just about enough gushing from me. Go and get yourself a copy of this as soon as possible if you haven't already. Hopefully you'll love it, and won't forfeit a night's sleep like I did. Until then, here's a tip for you: don't start Matched late at night. You'll thank me in the morning, I promise!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Good, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book, it won't be making it's way into my favourites collection, but it will be staying on my shelf. Matched is almost dangerously good, you fall in love with the protagonist Cassia almost instantly: she's just so nave and clueless. Cassia believes that anything that the Officials do is right. The Officials know best. Being a teenage reader I was immediately scornful of those officials. How could they possibly be that perfect? And the answer is they aren't. As the reader digs deeper into the novel, and as Cassia digs deeper into her life, Cassia's whole perspective on the society changes, and she ends up putting her familys life in danger. This is a really good teenage girls read, and if you've read Finding Sky by Joss Stirling, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver then you'll love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not amazing, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
As everyone knows this book has a lot of attention surrounding it, a big percentage of bloggers have read it and a lot loved it so when my library got this in l reserved it and went and got it as soon as l could, very excited to read it!
When l first started to read this, it was clear Ally is a great writer. She writes in a lovely way where the story flows really well and nothing in the book, e.g. emotions & actions, feel forced. What l did feel is lack of 'excitement' which l usually feel around books which keep me wanting to read the next page, l didn't think it was a great page turner and until the last 70 pages l felt l could easily put the book down and not care about how it ends. This is a big thing for me and can be because of different reasons. I felt this time l just didn't connect strongly with the main characters, although l liked them it felt like a circle of the same thing happening over and over and not a lot actually happened in the first 200ish pages when you compare it from the beginning of the book.
Matched has often been compared to other books like Delirium and while l think there is a comparison to be made l do feel Matched stands out on it's own and has lots to offer by itself. Ally has created a world which feels very real but l felt it gives you a lot of unanswered questions. For example (as it says in the blurb) the government chooses who they are matched with and will marry. While this is explained in some ways, for me it didn't explain it deep enough and l felt it could of made the book feel much more real if things were explained more.
For me, the ending made this book go up from a 3 star rating to a 4. It really improves in the end l can see the second book will be much better now the characters are introduced. l just hope that more of the world around them is explained a bit better and why some rules are in place.
Overall this is a good read, l did enjoy it but it won't be in my top reads like l thought and hoped it would be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Logan's run mixed with Equilibrium, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
The concept is good. The world which is created is really interesting and raises a lot of questions. However the book is really slow and nothing much happens for most of it. Once you get about the way through it picks up and leaves you wanting more. If you'd asked me half way through i didn't really care what was happening to the characters however once the officials get involved the story becomes interesting, hinting and scandal and cover ups. I am looking forward to the next book and what it will be discovered. My advice is stick at it...

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't compare to The Hunger Games, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Matched (Kindle Edition)
I recently devoured the entire Hunger Games series. I then decided to try and find some more teenage dystopian fiction (to put this into context I am in my mid-twenties, an English Lit graduate, and tend to read books aimed at adults!). I came across Matched and it had mostly positive reviews, so I purchased it. I was extremely disappointed.

The premise for Matched could be promising. It's an interesting idea for a future society - one where everything is measured and predicted completely objectively - statistics and rationale determine things like how many calories you get to eat, or who you marry. You have very little choice - you wear the same clothes as everyone else, you get to pick lesiure activities from a slim list of options.

However, the author never managed to delve any deeper into the society and why it's set up the way it is, or what its harms may be. She focuses entirely on its personal effect on the heroine - who is a little bland - and her romantic life. Romance can be thrilling. It wasn't here. The boys Casia likes have no depth. There's Xander - he's perfect. Good looking, ethical, intelligent - he really can do no wrong. Then there's Kye, who is the indie version. A little more mysterious, rebellious, long haired. That's about it.

I kept hoping that this book would improve and it didn't. It's a teen romancem, but a bad one. I read much better teen books when I was a teen. Avoid.

4.0 out of 5 stars A frighteningly realistic portrayal of the future, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Matched (Kindle Edition)
Every dystopia has a different "cure" for today's problems. Whether it's teenagers fighting to their death in an arena to pay for society's historic crimes against the government; dividing society into factions depending on the different virtues people exhibit, at the expense of all other virtues; or eradicating love and calling it a disease, every dystopian society has based itself on one ideal in particular to make the "perfect" society. In Matched, the main idea is control. If the government makes all life's big decisions for its people (who you marry, where you live, what job you do, how many children you have, even when you die), there will be no more crime and everyone can live in harmony. When the government even controls what information you have access to (choose from the 100 Songs or the 100 Poems or the 100 Stories or the 100 Paintings etc. but you won't be able to get your hands on anything else, and forget about being taught how to write - creativity is discouraged), how can you ever know not to trust them? How can you ever know that once society was very different and that it wasn't so bad? That's the situation our heroine Cassia is in until the day she is Matched - the day she finds out who she will spend the rest of her life with. On that day, everything changes. Why? Because not only has she been matched with her best friend from childhood Xander, but another face also flickers on the screen as her Match: the face of Ky, an Aberration who is permitted to live in society but without privileges, such as being Matched. So if Ky is not supposed to be Matched, why did Cassia see his face?

This "glitch" changes everything for Cassia. It doesn't matter how much Society tells her that she should not have seen Ky's face, the fact that she saw it causes her to wonder about Ky. Is he her perfect Match after all? And if he is, does that mean that Society's system has failed because he's an Aberration or does it mean that it works because it Matched her with someone she now finds herself drawn to? Now the more Cassia sees Ky, the more she is intrigued by him and the more he draws her into a world she barely knew existed. He teaches her how to write and he teaches her that there was once more to life than what Society would have people believe. At the heart of it all is poetry, and some beautiful poetry is included here, so treasured by Cassia because not only is it a gift from Ky, but because society completely outlaws it. Matched chronicles Cassia's journey as she wakes up from the controlled slumber everyone in the Society is under and begins to question what is going on around her for the first time.

The reason Matched works so well is because most of us live in a society where freedom is one of our most precious commodities. For many of us, to live in society that controls our every thought and action Nineteen Eighty-Four-style is the worst society imaginable. For dictators, the best way to crush rebellion is to prevent original thought and to limit what information your subjects have and as there are societies in the world today similar to this, it's not hard to conceive of the Society of Matched really existing. Likewise, it's easy to see how a teenager who sees a flaw in a perfect society might begin to rebel. For me, that was the best part of Matched because it felt so real in that sense.

The problem it does have is characterization. Honestly it's the same flaw a lot of YA novels have, but I found the characters to be almost a little bland. Cassia definitely has her moments, though, and you have to admire her courage to rebel the way she does and her desire to seek freedom. I can't say the lack of real depth in the characters stopped me from enjoying Matched, and while the story isn't full of action, Condie's writing is detailed and descriptive making it a pleasure to read.

The trilogy is now available for the whole of Matched and I wholly encourage everyone to read the series, though Matched is without a doubt the best of the three. It's thought-provoking and an interesting take on the YA dystopia; a must-read for lovers of dystopia!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but done before, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Matched (Kindle Edition)
It was good but if you read the more well known delirium, it's very similar to that and I found it had nearly the same idea except with love and not without

2.0 out of 5 stars matched, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Matched (Kindle Edition)
chose this book because it sounded different to my usuall romantic si-fi i read, found it interesting at the start then it seems to drag on with not much happening, slow paced only read it to the end to see if got more interesting but unfortunatly it didn,t won,t be reading any follow ups in this series

4.0 out of 5 stars ..., 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
Who would I recommend it to? Those who like dystopia novels with less action.

Review; Ally Condie makes you ask questions. "Why does this happen? Why does this person act this way? What's going on here?" To me this is what makes a good book or series. Having questions that need to be answered, it keeps people reading.
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't rate it five stars. Maybe it was the way it was written. I'm not sure I like the style too much, though I can handle it.
Cassia - I like the name - her character was okay, but there was something missing. Xander, I would have liked to see more of him. There wasn't enough moments with Xander in, it stopped him from being a main part of the story as he should have been. Ky, I like his character. He is aware. He is smart. He is complex because of his past. I would like to get to know Ky better.
The main thing that threw me was her match. I thought she would get matched with a stranger and then fall for Xander, but boy was I proved wrong! I'm glad I was though.
Whilst nothing else made me slap my hand to my mouth there were a few unexpected moments. Things that kept me on the edge of my seat.
This may not be one of my favourites, but I still think it is worth a read. Matched is quite light compared to a lot of other dystopia books out there, but it is still not "fluffy." I think it is worth the read and it is a book I could reread in the future.

ARRAY(0xa476fdc8)

Matched (Matched Trilogy)
Matched (Matched Trilogy) by Ally Condie (Hardcover - 30 Nov 2010)
Used & New from: 1.01