Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 May 2002
This year I taught a second-year undergraduate course in Stellar Astrophysics using this book as the recommended text. The explanations are clear and concise, and the treatment of stellar structure and evolution in terms of the temperature and pressure at various points inside the star ties the whole book together in one simple diagram. The first half of the book leads up to this diagram, and the second half expands upon the features predicted by it. This is certainly the clearest and most intellectually satisfying treatment of stellar astrophysics I have found at this level, presenting a coherent picture with enough mathematical detail to be comprehensible. The worked examples are useful and full solutions are presented. All in all- highly recommended.
on 2 September 2003
As an astrophysicist, I have read dozens of complex, obscure and formulae-laden books on the topic, therefore I know how difficult is to find a clear, yet thorough, book on stellar evolution. This is that book. Prialnik does an excellent job introducing the subject, since it is easy to read and full of clear and concise explanations. Probably the best book for an undergraduate introductory course on stellar evolution I have ever come across. It's also the best quick-reference book I have in my library.
Congratulations, Dina!
on 13 April 2001
The underlying physical principles behind the mathematics are explained with such clarity that it is hard to believe this is a physics text. Ideal as an introduction to the subject at degree level - but equally useful to read alongside more advanced texts where amplification of assumptions is required. Dina Prialnik must be a superb teacher.
on 26 January 2013
I bought this to remind myself of stuff I learnt 30+ years ago at university. It's well written, very clear. It would make a good undergraduate text I think. Lots of exercises and their solutions.
on 14 May 2012
Very good quality both outside and inside. The price was amazingly cheap compared with previous editions. Highly recommended for people looking for an introduction in the stellar evolution topic.
on 23 July 2013
On first skim read covers what I hope I'll need for the QMUL course. I'll revise my views after the lectures and exam.

This one helped me achieve 98%, nuff said.
on 10 April 2014
It's a very good book about stellar structure and evolution, it's perfect for students of physic. I really like it.
on 6 January 2016
Very informative book. It is a challenging read. Highly recommended.
on 31 July 2015
The exposure of the different contents is easy to understand although some times a single addition of more clear description should be mentioned. The solutions to all the exercises are a very good support to get a stronger understanding of the total description of the book. I found this book, second edition, very professionally written and also very clear in the English expression. I will recommend this book to any one who has interest in learning the exciting aspect of our universe.