5.0 out of 5 stars The long-awaited 3rd book in the Trilogy!!!, 15 May 2007
This review is from: Deep-Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures (Hardcover)
I had this one on pre-order with Amazon for over a year. Twice the publication date was put back it seems - but the wait was well worth it.

The third, longest, and heaviest book in the Stephen James O'Meara trilogy now sits proudly on my astronomy bookshelf.

With 584 high-quality pages you need to pick up this tome with both hands. Again we have an Index (thank you Stephen) that was suprisingly absent in "The Messier Objects" and made its first appearance in "The Caldwell Objects".

Similar format to the other two books with a nice B&W image plus a sketch of the object as seen by O'Meara through a small refractor - and an addition! This time we also get a small star map of the region the object is located in for reference - very useful - and a very welcome addition. Also once again the highly informative prose accompanies each object, and I really like the way O'Meara writes, so for me it adds a great deal to the enjoyment of the book.

A number of well-known and expected entries such as the Pac Man nebula, Kemble's Cascade, and the Flame nebula - but a much larger number of nebulae, star clusters planetary nebulae and galaxies that I'd not heard of before. None of the 109 "Hidden Treasures" are included in the Messier or Caldwell catalogues of course!

As a deep-sky imager this book has provided me with dozens of new exciting targets.

You simply must buy this book to complete the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book works for me and for binculars, 9 Jan 2011
I bought this to find uncommon things in the night sky with my binculars. It tell all the background info and how find the objects in the night sky. I looked to Kemble`s Casscade up and tells me how to find in the night sky with a good sketch of what to look for (looks good on kindle and detail enough for bincular use) with info on its discovery. I used it instructions on how find it and guss what? It worked. Tip: Use a sky atlas or star chart to help you with this book and as a reference of what near the objects for easy of finding it. FORGET IT`s A PART OF THE SERIES/ TRILOGY OF BOOKS. WORKS AS A STAND ALONE BOOK. Well worth the price tag. Good for keen amateur astronomer. Not good for newcomers of astronomy but will likely want this book later on in the hobby.

Deep-Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures
Deep-Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures by Stephen James O'Meara (Hardcover - 12 April 2007)
31.96