5.0 out of 5 stars You get what it says on the can...., 30 Jun. 2007
C. M. BYATT (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Handbook of Dates: For Students of British History (Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks) (Paperback)
As a non-historian beginning some researches into local history, I have found this small volume invaluable. Grappling with Gregorian and Julian dates, never mind 'regnal years' dating, has never been my favourite pastime, but this resource cuts straight through to the chase. I don't use it every day, but I certainly feel satisfied that were I have to a problem with understanding a historical date, I'd have a 99% chance of solving it with this. Obviously, unlike the previous reviewer, my needs are not highly demanding or academic, but I think a professional would know where to go to get their questions answered. I would be surprised if enthusiastic amateur local/family historians weren't fully satisfied by Cheney - at worst, I would have thought there should be one copy per local history society!

Although this is a reference book rather than a reading book, it's also fun dipping in and finding out arcane factoids to amaze and delight your friends and family!

5.0 out of 5 stars vital for historians, 12 Mar. 2014
A vital resource for historians and history students. Acts of parliament are referred to by reginal year and this book makes translating that to calendar year easy. Knowing when saints days were in specific years is also very handy.

The introduction and notes are a clear explanation of changes in calendars and dates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing book. Just what I need for archive work ..., 1 Aug. 2014
Smashing book. Just what I need for archive work to work out reigns of sovereigns and also dates of Saints Days. Invaluable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dates through history., 10 Jan. 2013
Has provided answers to all the questions I have asked of it so far, as I progress with my research in Local History.