Format: PaperbackChange

on 4 August 2005
This book is by far the clearest introduction to N.T. Greek I have seen, especially for home study without access to a tutor. By contrast, I found Mounce utterly impenetrable.
It assumes no prior knowledge at all, and takes you right from first principles (alphabet etc), explaining grammatical terms as they arise.
The only slight point which bothers me is that the book does not give stress marks, so if you are studying at home you have no guidance as to how words sound. I find this a drawback, becuase it is easier to learn vocabulary if you can hear the words in your mind.
Very highly recommended.
0Comment42 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2009
In the introduction, Jeremy Duff says that the aim of the book is 'to help you learn enough Greek to read the New Testament'.

I bought this book about 10 months ago, and from knowing nothing more than the alphabet, I have now worked my way through the whole book and am now slowly reading through the New Testament.

The style is excellent, with clear explanations that almost invariably seemed to clarify the points I found most confusing. And given I was learning by myself, it was a remarkably unfrustrating book to use - it genuinely is a self-contained course, and it was very rare that I wished for a human teacher to help clear things up.

One of the most useful things is the number of appendices, including grammar reference tables, answers, dictionaries and a subject index. Apart from a New Testament, the only other book I have needed so far is a dictionary (since the dictionary in the Elements only covers the 600 or so words taught in the book).

I haven't looked at any other introductory Greek books, so I can't say that this is the best textbook out there, but I can say that it worked for me.
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2005
Having been taught by Jeremy at Oxford, I was eagerly anticipating the release of his revision of the classic 'Wenham' textbook.
I wasn't disappointed. The same clarity of thinking, logical presentation, and clear and clever explanations permeate the book as much as they did the classroom.
This is the book form of numerous handouts, scribbled examples, and the result of feedback from many students - both those who struggled and thrived as they tackled the task of learning Greek - and it shows.
It features extra material, such as an excellent parsing guide, and numerous excercises which test and stretch the student.
If you are looking for a textbook written by an experienced teacher, a textbook whose genesis was in the tuition of real students, and written by a scholar for whom New Testament Greek is not only an essential daily tool, but something which can help illuminate the understanding of the bible in the faith community, look no further.
Very highly recommended.
0Comment60 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2008
I have been studying Classical Greek for eight months and have been alternating between Peter Jones's book and that of John Taylor, both available on Amazon.

However I have also found this volume to be an extremely valuable tool for a number of reasons. Firstly the text is packed with apt tests and practices throughout for which the answers are provided. As I am not in a class nor have a teacher I find that this is extremely useful aid.

Also as I have a Roman Catholic upbringing the biblical phrases given as grammatical examples have the added effect of driving home the point.

The grammar is taught in a logical and helpful manner and a real sense of progress is experienced. The layout and print used is pleasing on the eye which is important when one is likely to spend some hours gazing over the text.

It is a pleasure finally to hear the spoken Greek in the CD but I was slightly disappointed that this was spoken in an American accent given the English University background to the book. Also I have some issues with the pronunciation. I think I prefer Peter Jones's tape to this CD. You can buy the book independent of the CD
on 16 August 2012
I can't recommend this book too highly. Jeremy Duff has produced a brilliant textbook. The book is extremely clear, concise and well laid out. Key learning points are emphasised, the grammar tables are helpful, and vocabulary lists are well organised - with useful mnemonics given at the bottom. After working my way through this book I felt confident to start reading the New Testament in Greek - with a dictionary at hand. I had learned all the key grammar and gained a working vocabulary of 600 words in just a few months.

I wish you well in your studies of New Testament Greek.
on 26 April 2013
I bought the second edition (not realising that there was a 3rd Durh!) in order to pick up enough Greek to understand the points made by biblical commentators. I had tried several different books before and found them all far to obtuse and difficult.
This book definitely does what it says on the tin! The 3rd edition is a big improvement in layout and style but still keeps to the intent of the original (and the 2nd edition).
Having revisited reading Latin at the OU (having had a dreadful Latin master at school who put me right off the subject) I found the approach and the language fairly simple and certainly easier than Latin (although is that because I have studied Latin first?)
Only 1 minor gripe so far - the answers to the exercises are only there for the "A" ones - as a remote student I do wish I could find the answers to the "B" exercises somewhere to check mine.
As an introduction to Greek I have found no better.
on 28 February 2014
If you've done some grammar before this is probably the best book I've seen to get into koine Greek. While it is vaguely based on Wenham, I think it is much more clearly presented and therefore easier to assimilate. While reading the NT I often use this book to clarify what tense/mood is actually being used. If you struggle with grammar then this will be a very steep learning curve at least to start with. Recommended
on 15 December 2012
I am struggling through a NT Greek course which uses a different textbook and I wish we had gone for this book instead as it seems to be far more logically presented and usefully laid out. Vocab is given in order of occurrence and tables are given as well as top tips. Buy this one!
on 11 February 2013
This is an honest attempt to present New Testament Greek to the learner without frightening him/her off within the first few pages. If one is prepared to concentrate, spend time and do the exercises then slowly but surely the excitement grows and one really does begin to understand the glorious truths of the New Testament in their original tongue. This is the third edition but there is still room for improvement. Those who were taught Greek early in life usually accepted the fact of having to grind their way through the multitudinous Greek conjugations and declensions; indeed as youngsters under the rule of their master or mistress they had no choice. However, as an adult coming to greek for the first time (and as a modern languages teacher for over 40 years) at times I was irritated by the rushed approach. For example: practice exercises are often given where the necessary vocabulary has not yet been presented (one constantly has to refer to the end of the chapter to find the new words. A short glossary before the exercise would solve this irritation). One meets this situation as early as Practices 2.1; 2.2; 2.3.3
In chapter 3, Cases and Gender, the feminine and neuter nouns are clumped together. There should be a short
separate exercise on the feminine; then the neuter could be presented.
Overall the declension grids are clearly set out but at times it can be dizzying to have so many on a double page (for example pp.36 - 37. And, by the way, the page numbers are too faint - white on light grey!)
I wondered if the timing of the presentation of the variant feminine noun forms were essential but on reflection they are necessary at that point as long as one takes a deep breath (doxa IS a glorious word!).
p. 39 section 3.6 is introduced too soon. An exercise needs to precede it practising masculine, feminine and neuter nouns.
p.44 the diagram helps the learner to remember the basic prepositions. No doubt if one were in a classroom there would be a lot of movement and miming but the solitary learner such as myself needs all the help he can get.
p.46 The grids of prepositions here are a massive and daunting overdose. This is a genuine threat to progress. They need to be broken down into bitesize chunks, preferibly with memorable NT phrases that will stick in the mind, or even illustrations ( I drew my own).
I could go on but I'm sure you get the points. To be fair, the explanations of the grammar try to break down or warn of the problems and irregularities. Sometimes they come too thick and fast, e.g. p.56 top but the author means business and he means us to mean it too.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2014
there are many different ways of learning Greek, which i have had the challenge of recently.
this book by Wenham, however, i believe offers the most appropriate guide through learning Greek.
take it at your own pace - there are superb examples to demonstrate and assist learning - great tests at specific points through the book and a superb glossary to look up but Greek and English words for their translation!

it offers good print also and teaches vocab and grammar in a very succinct way

its a fantastic book!