5.0 out of 5 stars The distillation of great tutorials
Having been taught by Jeremy at Oxford, I was eagerly anticipating the release of his revision of the classic 'Wenham' textbook.
I wasn't disappointed. The same clarity of thinking, logical presentation, and clear and clever explanations permeate the book as much as they did the classroom.
This is the book form of numerous handouts, scribbled examples, and the...
Published on 24 April 2005 by Steve Nelson

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthy challenge
This is an honest attempt to present New Testament Greek to the learner without frightening him/her off within the first few pages. If one is prepared to concentrate, spend time and do the exercises then slowly but surely the excitement grows and one really does begin to understand the glorious truths of the New Testament in their original tongue. This is the third...
Published 19 months ago by MR DAVID HOPKINS

5.0 out of 5 stars The distillation of great tutorials, 24 April 2005
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
This is the book form of numerous handouts, scribbled examples, and the result of feedback from many students - both those who struggled and thrived as they tackled the task of learning Greek - and it shows.
It features extra material, such as an excellent parsing guide, and numerous excercises which test and stretch the student.
If you are looking for a textbook written by an experienced teacher, a textbook whose genesis was in the tuition of real students, and written by a scholar for whom New Testament Greek is not only an essential daily tool, but something which can help illuminate the understanding of the bible in the faith community, look no further.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Aug 2005
F. Merritt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
This book is by far the clearest introduction to N.T. Greek I have seen, especially for home study without access to a tutor. By contrast, I found Mounce utterly impenetrable.
It assumes no prior knowledge at all, and takes you right from first principles (alphabet etc), explaining grammatical terms as they arise.
The only slight point which bothers me is that the book does not give stress marks, so if you are studying at home you have no guidance as to how words sound. I find this a drawback, becuase it is easier to learn vocabulary if you can hear the words in your mind.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 28 Mar 2009
C. Parkinson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
In the introduction, Jeremy Duff says that the aim of the book is 'to help you learn enough Greek to read the New Testament'.

I bought this book about 10 months ago, and from knowing nothing more than the alphabet, I have now worked my way through the whole book and am now slowly reading through the New Testament.

The style is excellent, with clear explanations that almost invariably seemed to clarify the points I found most confusing. And given I was learning by myself, it was a remarkably unfrustrating book to use - it genuinely is a self-contained course, and it was very rare that I wished for a human teacher to help clear things up.

One of the most useful things is the number of appendices, including grammar reference tables, answers, dictionaries and a subject index. Apart from a New Testament, the only other book I have needed so far is a dictionary (since the dictionary in the Elements only covers the 600 or so words taught in the book).

I haven't looked at any other introductory Greek books, so I can't say that this is the best textbook out there, but I can say that it worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Addition to the Student of Greek's Library, 1 Feb 2008
Shane Slade (Sevenoaks, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I have been studying Classical Greek for eight months and have been alternating between Peter Jones's book and that of John Taylor, both available on Amazon.

However I have also found this volume to be an extremely valuable tool for a number of reasons. Firstly the text is packed with apt tests and practices throughout for which the answers are provided. As I am not in a class nor have a teacher I find that this is extremely useful aid.

Also as I have a Roman Catholic upbringing the biblical phrases given as grammatical examples have the added effect of driving home the point.

The grammar is taught in a logical and helpful manner and a real sense of progress is experienced. The layout and print used is pleasing on the eye which is important when one is likely to spend some hours gazing over the text.

It is a pleasure finally to hear the spoken Greek in the CD but I was slightly disappointed that this was spoken in an American accent given the English University background to the book. Also I have some issues with the pronunciation. I think I prefer Peter Jones's tape to this CD. You can buy the book independent of the CD

5.0 out of 5 stars you want to learn Greek - this is a must have!, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
there are many different ways of learning Greek, which i have had the challenge of recently.
this book by Wenham, however, i believe offers the most appropriate guide through learning Greek.
take it at your own pace - there are superb examples to demonstrate and assist learning - great tests at specific points through the book and a superb glossary to look up but Greek and English words for their translation!

it offers good print also and teaches vocab and grammar in a very succinct way

its a fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The CD is not useful but the textbook is probably the best out there ..., 10 July 2014
The CD is not useful but the textbook is probably the best out there and I have just about all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I have tried, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I have a number of books for learning Greek, this is the best one I have tried so far. It is the standard book for theological college but if you are attempting to teach yourself be prepared that you will have to work hard over a long period of time

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you know your grammar, 28 Feb 2014
N. Jefferies (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
If you've done some grammar before this is probably the best book I've seen to get into koine Greek. While it is vaguely based on Wenham, I think it is much more clearly presented and therefore easier to assimilate. While reading the NT I often use this book to clarify what tense/mood is actually being used. If you struggle with grammar then this will be a very steep learning curve at least to start with. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
Great improvement from previous version. Interaction with the text of Scripture makes a big difference. Well worth the money if you want to learn biblical greek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I needed it for my university course I'm just about to start and so far it's been great! Easy to work through, well written, good order for learning, etc. Exactly what it should be!

The Elements of New Testament Greek
The Elements of New Testament Greek by Canon Dr Jeremy Duff (Paperback - 14 April 2005)
18.89