5.0 out of 5 stars The distillation of great tutorials
Having been taught by Jeremy at Oxford, I was eagerly anticipating the release of his revision of the classic 'Wenham' textbook.
I wasn't disappointed. The same clarity of thinking, logical presentation, and clear and clever explanations permeate the book as much as they did the classroom.
This is the book form of numerous handouts, scribbled examples, and the...
Published on 24 April 2005 by Steve Nelson

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthy challenge
This is an honest attempt to present New Testament Greek to the learner without frightening him/her off within the first few pages. If one is prepared to concentrate, spend time and do the exercises then slowly but surely the excitement grows and one really does begin to understand the glorious truths of the New Testament in their original tongue. This is the third...
Published on 11 Feb. 2013 by MR DAVID HOPKINS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The distillation of great tutorials, 24 April 2005
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
This is the book form of numerous handouts, scribbled examples, and the result of feedback from many students - both those who struggled and thrived as they tackled the task of learning Greek - and it shows.
It features extra material, such as an excellent parsing guide, and numerous excercises which test and stretch the student.
If you are looking for a textbook written by an experienced teacher, a textbook whose genesis was in the tuition of real students, and written by a scholar for whom New Testament Greek is not only an essential daily tool, but something which can help illuminate the understanding of the bible in the faith community, look no further.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Aug. 2005
F. Merritt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
This book is by far the clearest introduction to N.T. Greek I have seen, especially for home study without access to a tutor. By contrast, I found Mounce utterly impenetrable.
It assumes no prior knowledge at all, and takes you right from first principles (alphabet etc), explaining grammatical terms as they arise.
The only slight point which bothers me is that the book does not give stress marks, so if you are studying at home you have no guidance as to how words sound. I find this a drawback, becuase it is easier to learn vocabulary if you can hear the words in your mind.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 28 Mar. 2009
C. Parkinson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
In the introduction, Jeremy Duff says that the aim of the book is 'to help you learn enough Greek to read the New Testament'.

I bought this book about 10 months ago, and from knowing nothing more than the alphabet, I have now worked my way through the whole book and am now slowly reading through the New Testament.

The style is excellent, with clear explanations that almost invariably seemed to clarify the points I found most confusing. And given I was learning by myself, it was a remarkably unfrustrating book to use - it genuinely is a self-contained course, and it was very rare that I wished for a human teacher to help clear things up.

One of the most useful things is the number of appendices, including grammar reference tables, answers, dictionaries and a subject index. Apart from a New Testament, the only other book I have needed so far is a dictionary (since the dictionary in the Elements only covers the 600 or so words taught in the book).

I haven't looked at any other introductory Greek books, so I can't say that this is the best textbook out there, but I can say that it worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Addition to the Student of Greek's Library, 1 Feb. 2008
Shane Slade (Sevenoaks, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I have been studying Classical Greek for eight months and have been alternating between Peter Jones's book and that of John Taylor, both available on Amazon.

However I have also found this volume to be an extremely valuable tool for a number of reasons. Firstly the text is packed with apt tests and practices throughout for which the answers are provided. As I am not in a class nor have a teacher I find that this is extremely useful aid.

Also as I have a Roman Catholic upbringing the biblical phrases given as grammatical examples have the added effect of driving home the point.

The grammar is taught in a logical and helpful manner and a real sense of progress is experienced. The layout and print used is pleasing on the eye which is important when one is likely to spend some hours gazing over the text.

It is a pleasure finally to hear the spoken Greek in the CD but I was slightly disappointed that this was spoken in an American accent given the English University background to the book. Also I have some issues with the pronunciation. I think I prefer Peter Jones's tape to this CD. You can buy the book independent of the CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy (and improved) successor to the original, 26 April 2013
D. Coplowe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I bought the second edition (not realising that there was a 3rd Durh!) in order to pick up enough Greek to understand the points made by biblical commentators. I had tried several different books before and found them all far to obtuse and difficult.
This book definitely does what it says on the tin! The 3rd edition is a big improvement in layout and style but still keeps to the intent of the original (and the 2nd edition).
Having revisited reading Latin at the OU (having had a dreadful Latin master at school who put me right off the subject) I found the approach and the language fairly simple and certainly easier than Latin (although is that because I have studied Latin first?)
Only 1 minor gripe so far - the answers to the exercises are only there for the "A" ones - as a remote student I do wish I could find the answers to the "B" exercises somewhere to check mine.
As an introduction to Greek I have found no better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book from which to teach yourself New Testament Greek, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book too highly. Jeremy Duff has produced a brilliant textbook. The book is extremely clear, concise and well laid out. Key learning points are emphasised, the grammar tables are helpful, and vocabulary lists are well organised - with useful mnemonics given at the bottom. After working my way through this book I felt confident to start reading the New Testament in Greek - with a dictionary at hand. I had learned all the key grammar and gained a working vocabulary of 600 words in just a few months.

I wish you well in your studies of New Testament Greek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you know your grammar, 28 Feb. 2014
Neil J (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
If you've done some grammar before this is probably the best book I've seen to get into koine Greek. While it is vaguely based on Wenham, I think it is much more clearly presented and therefore easier to assimilate. While reading the NT I often use this book to clarify what tense/mood is actually being used. If you struggle with grammar then this will be a very steep learning curve at least to start with. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Useful, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I am struggling through a NT Greek course which uses a different textbook and I wish we had gone for this book instead as it seems to be far more logically presented and usefully laid out. Vocab is given in order of occurrence and tables are given as well as top tips. Buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars you want to learn Greek - this is a must have!, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
there are many different ways of learning Greek, which i have had the challenge of recently.
this book by Wenham, however, i believe offers the most appropriate guide through learning Greek.
take it at your own pace - there are superb examples to demonstrate and assist learning - great tests at specific points through the book and a superb glossary to look up but Greek and English words for their translation!

it offers good print also and teaches vocab and grammar in a very succinct way

its a fantastic book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Elements of New Testament Greek (Paperback)
I needed it for my university course I'm just about to start and so far it's been great! Easy to work through, well written, good order for learning, etc. Exactly what it should be!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Elements of New Testament Greek
The Elements of New Testament Greek by Canon Dr Jeremy Duff (Paperback - 14 April 2005)