From Teacher to Manager: Managing Language Teaching Organizations
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£30.60+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 March 2013
I am the owner of a private language school with between 100 to 150 students and 8 to 12 teachers.
The best decription I can give about this book is that it has a lot of fat and not much meat from my perspective and possition.
There's a lot of information here that isn't relevant to my situation and generally the points that are, are written in such an accademic way that I have not idea of what they are talking about (not really aimed at the layman - you need several degrees in different subjects to understand it).

It is nicely layed out though.

Another big problem with this book that I found was that it tells you what you need to do in great detail (which is good) just not how to do it in great detail (which is not good). One of the basic teaching principles is to tell the student's what they need to do and then tell them how to do it - this book fails in that principle in my view.

The cover's nice though.

I would also say that there is a lot of information that you can't use or is of no value to anyone in several of the chapters such as statistics charts of various things. This tells me that the book is aimed at an audience that is far too broad and therefore I feel that one is paying for a lot of information that is not needed. Again, it fails in a basic business principle...

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

For a book like this to work and be of benifit, it should be pulled apart and separated into the relavent language sectors that way the readers would save time and money sifting thought all of the irrelevant fat and get to the meat and potatoes of it.

I like the ideas of the tasks though (most [not all] are interesting to do).

Overall, the book looks good on my shelf and there are a few things in it that gave me some ideas to think about, just not very much.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 1 March 2013
The best description I can give about this book is that it has a lot of fat and not much meat from my perspective and position.
There's a lot of information here that isn't relevant to my situation and generally the points that are, are written in such an academic way that I have no idea of what they are talking about (not really aimed at the layman - you need several degrees in different subjects to understand it).

It is nicely laid out though.

The cover's nice though.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

For a book like this to work and be of benefit, it should be pulled apart and separated into the relevant language sectors that way the readers would save time and money sifting thought all of the irrelevant fat and get to the meat and potatoes of it.

I like the ideas of the tasks though (most [not all] are interesting to do)

0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again