Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2011
I teach English as a foreign language, and I bought this book to use with advanced students. There is some very useful material in it, but for each unit there's quite a lot to take in. For highly motivated students it would be very useful, but I would say that for the majority it's a book to dip in to now and again.
I like the way that the chapters are arranged, particularly the collocations that are in topic areas. The exercises that complement each section are also well thought out.
I also bought "English Idioms in Use" (advanced), which I feel will be more useful, and which the students seem to find more accessible. Nevertheless I will be using this book from time to time.
on 1 September 2013
well organised and really useful for students who want to prepare the CAE exam as they have many expressions as well as idioms and collocations
on 28 August 2010
It is great! I have just read and completed a couple of exercises so far but I've already learnt a lot of useful words which are used by native speakers usually and also I'm learnt that how two different words can be used correctly together.
on 21 January 2011
This book provides you with the skills to write in formal English and avoid common mistakes. It is highly recommended to anyone!
on 19 March 2015
Great book to help you sound more natural. The exercises in there are quite hard though, so not so good for intermediates. I would recommend higher level of English for effective studying.
on 26 January 2016
Excellent resource with plenty of examples and exercises. Very detailed.
on 19 June 2015
Just what I wanted & arrived in good time. Thanks, James.
on 7 October 2009
Did not know much about collocations, and this book introduces you to a large number of resources for learners/speakers of English.Definitely recommend it.
on 24 February 2015
It was the book I need very usuful
on 27 September 2014