Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2009
I haven't read all of this book yet, but it certainly has impressed me so far. As a writer Covington has that ability to communicate very well and has a evident passion for his subject. He has an academic disciplined quality to his style which is necessary for a technical subject like this (which is missing from Seip's book), but without drifting off into abstruse theoreticals. He keeps things on a down-to-earth simple-to-grasp basis which I find very refreshing given the possibilities for confusion. Diagrams are clear and informative, and cover areas I've never seen in other books - like single page diagrams showing all the camera coupling methods, lens configurations or telescope types. Equations and concepts are backed up by real examples and data. There's plenty of nice astro photos showing the results of all this hard work too.

I bought this on the strength of his original astrophotography book which was geared towards film, with a brief mention of digital imaging at the end of that.

The only regret, mentioned by another review is the lack of colour plates, but this isn't a serious concern for me, so this gets five stars from me.
on 6 September 2009
This book will be of help if you are just starting to use a DSLR. It has some great hints a tips for both Canon and Nikon cameras. However if you already know your camera really well and have had some experience taking astrophotographs then I would probably look for another book. It could also do with an update as the section on focusing does not include the latest and best method (Bahtinov mask). Having said that this book is well worth having as part of your astrophotography reference library.
on 1 September 2013
I'm new to DSLR Camera's and to Astrophotography and was expecting a book full of useful tips about how to set up my camera how take pictures of objects in the sky. There are some helpful hints and tips but not enough to satisfy this hungry novice. A lot of the book is about technical issues on the camera, lens and how the sensor works and the software available to work on your pictures once taken. I wanted more basic stuff and this book did not satisfy this need. Its more for the experienced camera user and astrophotograher in my opinion. Example from the book about focussing the camera say's its frustrating for those new to the hobby but offers very little help. The book is expensive for what it offers.

So it will now be added to my shelf of books only to come out once I've mastered my camera and to some extent had some experience of taking astro pictures.
on 1 February 2013
I have just come back to astronomy after many years and things have certainly moved on. 40 years ago astrophotography was limited to those with access to the big 'scopes and decent developing systems. The digital camera has changed it all.

I am still working my way through this book, but I have tried some of the ideas Covington discusses....and they work.

The book is well written for both beginner and advanced. The explanations are clear and precise and they review different approaches. They also review why some of the cameras have developed their various formats and technologies.

The book is written around the use of a Cannon EOS and the Nikon, but do not let that put you off. For me it is great as I use an older Cannon 400D but the ideas can be applied to any camera.

The software section is also very good. How to handle digital images to get the best out of them, again with clear explanations.

If you are interested in trying astrophotography then buy this book.
on 8 June 2013
I have another book that seemed more for the intermediate and advanced astrophotographer which has left me a little bit more confused than I thought possible.However this book is allowing me to find confidence in my attempts to catch the beauty of the night sky.
on 21 February 2012
It's only not 5 stars because it is quite expensive but the author is a true expert in this field and you're sure to learn something useful from reading this fascinating book. JP
on 10 June 2013
This was my first introduction in to the realms of Astrophotography and I found this book informative, enthralling, easy to understand and it gave me the perfect insight I needed and great encouragement to further explore this exciting aspect of Photography. It is the kind of book that you will wnat to keep with you and refer to time and time again. Brilliant and well worth the money.
on 31 October 2014
A clear and concise book, written by someone who knows the pitfalls associated with astrophotography, and guides you safely around them. From preface to index it's packed with a wealth of information. from choosing a DSLR to processing the final image. If you're new to astrophotography this book will help you no end - it did me.
on 12 November 2011
Published in 2007, Michael A. Covington's 'Digital SLR Astrophotography' is a fairly comprehensive guide that is aimed at the big CAT astronomer. I think the value of this book is determined by the readers astro equipment and their level of knowledge regarding astrophotography. The complete beginner may well benefit from first reading Covington's 'Astrophotography for the Amateur' or something similar.
I personally use a 200mm Celestron CPC with a Canon DSLR, and the text and pictures in this book are ideal. The author delivers the basics and his great knowledge and long experience in this field should enable any amateur astronomer to gain a foothold into astrophotography.
on 6 May 2012
This is a useful book which covers the main points for the technical aspects of astrophotography. The author assumes you have an equatorial mount, the setting up of which he covers in an earlier book.