on 16 April 2010
Anyone with 'A' level mathematics going on to a higher level in a physical science subject will not find a better mathematics text than this. In thiry one chapters, each dedicated to a topic ranging from preliminary algebra, through partial differential equations to probability, you will find clearly explained all of the mathematics you are likely to encounter up to graduate level. Written by three Cambridge graduates, the book is a standard text for science undergraduates at Cambridge.
In earlier editions it was excellent. The third edition is now further improved by a Student Solutions Manual (second volume). But be warned, at 1333 pages and 534 pages you will not want to carry the two volumes far!
I wish it had been available when I was a student.
on 16 January 2014
I bought this for my son who is doing his MSc in physics and mathematics at uni and the comments I am giving are his! If anyone is intending to go to uni to study physics or mathematics, buy this before hand and it will be very useful. This book will cover your first year in maths, it's very detailed and extremely helpful. Don't wait until you go to uni to purchase it get it early instead of playing on your xbox all day and you will be better prepared.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 December 2009
Contents are:

Title: Student Solution Manual for Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering Third Edition
Binding: Paperback
ISBN: 0521679737

and

Title: Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide
Binding: Paperback
ISBN: 0521679710

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide
on 28 August 2010
Having been accepted at the University of Cambridge to study Physical Natural Sciences, I emailed the admissions staff to recommend me some pre-university reading material. I was advised to purchase a copy of this book, (one of the authors being my Director of Studies for the next 3-4 years; M. Hobson) to touch up on my mathematics, ready for the start of term.
The book takes you through almost every element of the Further Mathematics A Level course in its first 7 or 8 chapters, making it accessible to anyone who has studied Maths to at least AS/A Level. The later chapters swiftly become an advanced level of mathematics, but the pre-grounding given by the early chapters enable the reader to have acquired the correct tools to approach these harder sections.
I have so far managed to work through the first few chapters, (and it seems to be sticking in my head...) guided thoroughly by the authors. Each chapter has a decent-sized sub-chapter filled with questions related to its material for students to work on, with the Solutions book giving very detailed answers/methods to complete the question.
My only criticism would be that the student solutions are only given for odd-numbered questions, so half of my answers are left unmarked... (I may be able to ask M. Hobson himself to include the even-numbered question solutions in a fourth edition when I get to meet him...)
Overall I would highly recommend this book to anyone wishing to study the Further Maths A Level, or as the book specifies for University students of Physical Sciences and Engineering.
on 25 December 2014
Jesus christ! Give me the solution already. Warning... if you're not a genius you'll struggle through this book.
on 24 December 2012
I had hoped to find this text much more useful than it turned out. I disliked the style in which the text was written, though that is purely down to personal preference. I also found the explanations of the material were significantly less lucid than they could have been. Often I used this book after I had consulted with other texts and had gained a degree of familiarity and competence in the techniques. I now only use the book for reference rather than to learn from; I still find I turn to Stroud long before this.
on 27 January 2015
good book
on 5 June 2011
Comes with the solutions book for a very good price. Depends what you are studying but it does what it says on the title:p