5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Useful
I'm teaching English abroad and this has helped massively with learning about the grammar rules. English is complicated and most things we just know doesn't sound right but don't know why. This book explains it and has examples and is easy to read. It came quickly and it's extremely useful. Definitely recommend it.
Published 7 months ago by Kwai-Lin Li

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn`t recommend
This is the most useless book on English grammar I`ve ever had. It might be useful for teachers who are not native speakers but it doesn`t actually help with the language if you want to improve your English. It just describes how the things are but lacks any logical explanations so all you can do is to memorize thousands of rules. This really isn`t my way of learning.
Published on 6 Jun 2009 by Kathy

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Useful, 13 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Best you can buy, 21 Nov 2012
Possibly the best and most authoritative grammar book today available. Just go for it if you are serious about learning how English grammar works. I reccommend it to anyone studying at an upper-intermediate/advanced level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cambridge Grammar of English, 17 Oct 2009
Canon C. R. Evans "Canon C. R. Evans" (Dawlish Devon UK) - See all my reviews
About as comprehensive as a grammar could be, yet readily accessible for checking particular points of usage. Appears equally useful to a teacher of Engish as a foreign language.

Its terminology is not the one older people learned at school - but none the less useful for that.

Hard to fault - unless there is just too much information overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for the CD-ROM?, 19 Mar 2013
C. X. Linton-Willoughby "flyinghyphen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
ISBN: 0521581664 is not intended to contain a CD-ROM.

ISBN: 0521674395 offers a Paperback with CD-ROM.

Cambridge Grammar of English Paperback with CD-ROM: A Comprehensive Guide

Or alternatively ISBN: 0521857678 is a Hardback with CD-ROM.

Cambridge Grammar of English Hardback with CD-ROM: A Comprehensive Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Ratel, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Cambridge Grammar of English Paperback with CD-ROM: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
It's really good book for people who learn English.
I had been quite confused about which tense I should use and when.
This book explained me everything.
I'm satisfied in a 100%.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am satisfied with the purchase, 11 July 2010
It is the kind of thing I was looking for to support and progress in my studies.
It is a good item for a good price, full of data, information and ideas about the
language of English, as I already said, perfect for the work and studies I am doing
at present. Excellent!!! I would buy another one if I needed it. Sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Advanced grammar, 19 Jun 2008
Ms. A. L. Squires (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is extremely detailed with many examples. It is really for teachers who already have a good basic knowledge of English grammar. The grammar of "spoken" English is also included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Sep 2013
Very fast arrival from initial payment and in excellent condition, I only wish I didn't have up read the whole thing but I suppose that's life. Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, comprehensible, perfect..., 17 Oct 2012
This is much more than the traditional grammars for learners of English were which used to enumerate rules without explaining the reason behind. It contains none of those long long lists that only make the learning more difficult without throwing any light on the problems.
If I had time I would read it like a novel from the beginning to the end, it's such an exciting journey into Enlish language.
The terminology was not new to me, I've learned it at university, moreover it's more helpful than the old one was.
Thank you!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, just a fraction less than superb., 11 July 2009
M. Winter "Tony" (London) - See all my reviews
This is excellent, a very good substitute for the more expensive CGEL at 100+
It has a few errors that may escape attention, if read below the limen of logical awareness. Otherwise superb. Error for example the word - AS - given a word arity of 3 where it has more namely - causal - has apodosis and protasis, , and the three examples 19b showing comparative, temporal, causal aren't thought through, they are all causal. ie not passing the simple - sufficient - test for a cause. Suggest replace example for temporal, AS the sun was setting, John was driving home. (smashed means - implies, impact of two items with some force, and has to be causal, where the temporal aspect is a mere coincidence, AND it is deictically displaced.)

ARRAY(0x11070744)