5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Outstanding

Published on 22 Nov 2009 by Trotty

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Outstanding, 20 Aug 2009
S. Hunter (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
This is one of the very best computer science books I have ever read, and one that I find myself amazed by every time I pick it up. Better yet, he includes code for all his data structures in (almost) standard ML and (in an appendix) in haskell. He presents the (often arcane) material well and the gradual revelation of the concepts means that reading it I was continually amazed by the new dimensions he could add to familiar datastructures such as lists and trees.

Very deep and highly recommended for the serious functional programmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy for any serious programmer, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
If you are a programmer, you do not need this for your daily job.
But if you like learning new and explore more - then this book will surely open your eyes on functional programming.
It assumes that you already have some working knowledge of FP - so it won't serve you as a tutorial. But once you started doing some functional programming and want to creat larger apps, you would need to incorporate some data structures and this is the moment where you will find out that there is only one book on functional data structures... It is this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes no prisoners, 30 Jan 2012
Dr. Edward Austin "booboo" (Somewhere dark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
I found that this exposition of data structures nothing short of masterful. Their is no superfluity in this book. Some parts require reading and rereading (sometimes for a few hours or more) so it unlikely to be a short read for most people, but a most rewarding one certainly.

A quantitative background is almost a pre-requisite here, and fluency in elementary data structures mandatory. But there again this is this books audience.

It has no competition but a second edition would be great (and ditch the SML).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but rather frustrating, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
"This book is a superb introduction to the subject of purely functional data structures" says one reviewer. Don't be mislead, I would not characterise this book as any kind of introduction. It is a detailed, expansive treatise on the subject, that on academic grounds alone undoubtedly warrants the five stars accorded it by the other reviewers to date. It is easy to follow, is well arranged and does at least list code for the structures as presented. My chief gripe with it is that all the optimisations which I was looking to this book to provide are left to the exercises, of which there are many, and yet there is no key. I contacted Dr. Okasaki to find out if such a key existed and, although he was courteous enough to reply, informed me that I could make use of the online discussion groups and forums to examine the challenges of the exercises in more detail. I am not an academic but a very busy practitioner in finance and do not have time for this. A great text book therefore, but in some respects raises more questions than it answers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 Jan 2009
J. D. Harrop "Jon Harrop" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
This book is a superb introduction to the subject of purely functional data structures. Many different data structures and implementations of them are described and each is walked through in detail with a thorough description of the advantages and disadvantages. More importantly, this book contains pragmatic advice based upon existing implementations which is invaluable for real programmers.

The only downsides are that some good advice is buried deep in the book and not presented in an overview or executive summary, and the book uses SML rather than OCaml or F#. However, Markus Mottl has translated the code into OCaml.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought to complement my knowledge of F#, Erlang and Javascript, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Purely Functional Data Structures (Paperback)
I'm not sure what i got from this book. It would be excellent for a Computer Science undergrad. Previously, I've bought similar books on C# and Java data structures and they helped my programming immensely. Perhaps because it's Haskell focused or that I need to re-read it a further two or three times to really get it. I found it difficult to be engaged by this book.

It is exceptionally well written and authoritative, but because my understanding of Haskell is scant I wouldn't be best placed to judge if it should go up a star to two.

Purely Functional Data Structures
Purely Functional Data Structures by Chris Okasaki (Paperback - 13 Jun 1999)