TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 November 2009
Hinds is a Classics professor and though this is a short book, it is a very stimulating, thoughtful and dense one which definitely repays re-reading. While accepting that all literature in intertextual by necessity, he still has interesting things to say about the self-conscious construction of poetry in the classical Latin tradition.

Not really aimed at the casual reader, this is useful for older undergraduates and graduates, particularly of Classics but also for anyone interested in reception, intertextuality and literary theory.
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2007
This is probably my favourite book in a very good CUP series, and (although I teach English rather than Classics) it is one of the critical books I most often find myself recommending to students. Hinds's analyses are consistently subtle and illuminating and he offers a particularly helpful intervention into debates about the relationship between allusion and intertexuality.