5.0 out of 5 stars Chosen by Cambridge University's Physics lecturer
Published on 20 Sept. 2000

Not a book for the "faint hearted." A good grounding in math is needed to fully engage with this text.
Published on 14 Mar. 2013 by Nickabit

5.0 out of 5 stars Chosen by Cambridge University's Physics lecturer, 20 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Analytical Mechanics (Paperback)
I teach 2nd year dynamics in Cambridge and I looked at several textbooks for my course. I chose Hand and Finch because, unlike so many books which simply present the same material as other textbooks in the same standard way, they have come up with a fresh perspective. The book came out of an interactive course at Cornell where the students and teachers participated in detailed discussion, and the excitement rubs off in the book. Lots of interesting examples pop up and the book is a fun read. The level is pretty advanced, going up to graduate standard. The only topic that I think is poorly presented is fictitious forces in rotating frames - this is done in a thorough and correct manner which I find clumsy and probably inaccessible to students. Definitely my favourite dynamics book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough going, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Analytical Mechanics (Paperback)
This book assumes that you are familiar with classical mechanics, and I thought that I was, but soon found that I needed a much more solid grounding in Newtonian methods.

I did manage to get to the end of the first chapter, and answer many of the problems. Lots of worked examples would have helped a great deal, if only to help drive home the important points. I felt like I was being led somewhere, without having been told the destination, so I had no way to tell what was vitally important and what was merely incidental.

The only worked example was right at the end of the chapter. Unfortunately, it was not posed as a question, so there was no way I could try to answer it myself first. Again, the feeling of being led somewhere, without knowing where.

I eventually stopped reading this book, for the time being, having decided to backtrack to something more basic. I would prefer Lagrangian mechanics to appear well into a book, rather than thrust upon me on the third page.

So I am now working on "Classical Mechanics" by Kibble and Berkshire. No Lagrangian mechanics until chapter 10, and I hope that after studying this chapter I will feel ready to return to Hand and Finch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good text that must be bolstered by a very good grounding in math., 14 Mar. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars not for a first approach to classical mechanics., 1 May 2008
This review is from: Analytical Mechanics (Paperback)
If you are looking for a book suitable to an examination pass,i'd better recommend other authors ,as Goldstein,Morin,Taylor,Greiner ,or for more mathematically inclined, Scheck.
Hand and Finch might be more troublesome.

Analytical Mechanics
Analytical Mechanics by Janet D. Finch (Paperback - 13 Nov. 1998)