5.0 out of 5 stars mathematics for economists
Published on 14 May 2005 by mikkip

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatl book, a few answers are incorrect
I am currently studying Economics at Cambridge and this book is on the reading list. I am now roughly half-way through working through it. The basic structure and layout of each chapter is excellent. The worked examples are extremely useful along with the example's within each chapter's main text.

That said I have been disappointed to find several mistakes in...
Published on 5 Sep 2010 by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars mathematics for economists, 14 May 2005
This review is from: Mathematics for Economics and Finance: Methods and Modelling (Paperback)
This is currently the book used for the foundation part of LSE's Economics degree. I did A-level maths 10 years ago and I was rather worried that my maths was not up to scratch. I worked through this book alone (it took me about 2 months at a slow pace) and found nearly all of the explanations comprehensible. I recommend having an A-Level text book alongside to fill in the gaps and drill your technique. As maths books go this is, for me, one of the best ones written as it does not assume knowledge that you do not have and it does not do that common thing of starting at a really basic level and then suddenly jumping into something much more complex without careful step-by-step explanations. My only criticism would be even more explanations for some things: but that is a personal thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 13 Feb 2006
MisterKeith (Southgate, London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm a mature student who hasn't studied maths in (mumble mumble) years. I'm doing a distance-learning degree in Maths and Economics, so need all the help I can get.
This is an excellent book - easy to understand text, clear examples which walk you through what is being done, straight-forward explanations. Despite all that, it doesn't over-simplify or patronise.
I'm finding this indispensible - of the books I've bought, this is the best purchase I've made by far. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 Jun 2007
I am a computer scientist with maths background (it's been a while since I graduated) who was looking to move into finance. I was therefore searching for an intermediate book but at the same time well-written and able to introduce both financial concepts and the underlying mathematics.

This book does exactly that! Starts from basics, both in terms of maths and economics/finance and gradually introduces new concepts and mathematical formulas together with "how" they are deduced, does not simply come up as if by magic with it. There is a number of worked examples as well to reinforce and practice what one has learnt plus problems with hints/solutions in the end of the book.

All in all, very well written, clear, concise, excellent introduction but also reference for those who want to fill in gaps.

Although I'm not an expert (yet ;-)) in the field I think that you should complement this book with one more advanced if you are a very experienced analyst/economist and looking for something more than a good introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class, 23 May 2007
There is no other book that purports to do what this book does that is better. If you have been away from maths for a while or never got that far with maths in the first place, and are entering into the study of economics or finance where you think you will need some maths, then this book is for you. There is nothing better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatl book, a few answers are incorrect, 5 Sep 2010

That said I have been disappointed to find several mistakes in the answers so far. I have consulted others to check it wasn't just me making mistakes and found that everyone agrees with my answers to some of the questions whilst the answers in the back don't match up.

Its a great and very useful book that i would recommend however if you get stuck and cannot get the same answer as in the back of the book don't panic! There are a couple of mistakes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Concise, Examples!, 20 Oct 2009
A really good book I think. Very concise yet very readable. It's difficult to get lost on any topic and the examples included are just as tough as the exercises so you can go back and check where you went wrong. Every so often there's a big jump in complexity without enough explanation (e.g. explaining integration techniques; homogenous functions) but thankfully these episodes are few. The authors can be very frank (e.g. the redundancy of learning matrix determinants and Cramer's rule when simpler techniques abound) which helps to avoid time-wasting. I would suggest you need a second book with even more examples plus a more detailed section on integration to go along with this e.g. Schaum's Calculus for Business, Economics and The Social Sciences.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little book, but assumes a bit from the student, 15 Dec 2011
J. C. JONES "Joel CJ" (England) - See all my reviews
This book is a good and fairly clear guide to mathematical applications in Economics and Finance. Plenty of explanations and worked examples in order to help the student solve problems. However, this is not a text for people who are completely unfamiliar with algebra, trigonometry and precalculus. If you are a complete mathematical noob (as I was), it is best to use this text in conjunction with books like Booth's 'Foundation Mathematics' or Bradley's 'Essential Mathematics for Economics and Business' in order to explore the basics better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 Jan 2014
Yulun Wang - See all my reviews
As a high school student who wanted to study Economics in university, I was curious to know what maths is useful for economics study. Then I found this book and bought it. Honestly, this book is slightly beyond my level, but I can promise that it is a very good book. I would recommend anyone who want to buy this book to use it jointly with some other pure mathematics books to further improve their understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 3 April 2003
By A Customer
While the book is very accessible its somewhat tiresome.
Since it is a textbook, it would be good to have at the beginning a flowchart that shows the chapters to be read depending on the interest (more mathematical or more practical).
Also I believe it lacks a little bit on linear algebra (each more used by economists).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and quick, 16 Jun 2012
I was a bit worried when placed the order as I do need the book in a very short time. However, my worries were proved unnecessary. The book arrived within a few days in very good conditions. Such a bargain. It arrived even earlier than my purchase at amazon itself. Very good indeed.

Mathematics for Economics and Finance: Methods and Modelling
Mathematics for Economics and Finance: Methods and Modelling by Norman Biggs (Paperback - 13 July 1996)