Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2010
Has always been the key text for a How To guide of behavioural studies. Has all the principles of observation schedules answering questions such as how does instantaneous sampling compare with continuous (dull but important!), a straightforward description of appropriate statistics (including interobserver stuff) and other essential stuff that is not easy to find elsewhere.

This edition is more streamlined and is cut down a lot from the previous one (the extra is still available online) and provides a complete guide to designing proper behavioural studies. Every behaviour should read this, learn it and use it! (A Lecturer talking...)
on 4 December 2002
This was a brilliantly written book, it gives clear and concise information on the various methods behind measuring animal behaviour. I am an animal science student and used this book to plan and write my thesis. I would advise it as a must buy or anyone starting out in the study of animal behaviour, or merely has an interest in the subject as the book is not too long and tells you what you need to know without baffling you with scientific "lingo".
on 4 April 2011
I needed this book in order to write an essay. I could not source it from local library or college library. I was nearing the end of my assignment when the book arrived, although the seller had despatched it very quickly. Suddenly everything became very clear, if only I had read this book first. Very useful diagrams which explain things clearly. I will be using this book again for revision and for another course which I will be studying - Research methods.
on 8 December 2012
CONTENTS

Overview of the behaviour sciences
Pre-study decisions
Sampling and recording methods (e.g. ad libitum, one-zero, etc.)
Testing measure reliability and validity
Assessing research design
Statistical analysis
Specific aspects (e.g. bout length, sequences, dyadic exchanges, etc.)
Interpreting and presenting findings

REVIEW

A must-have if you are contemplating a scientific career on dog behaviour. Otherwise, leave it well alone: the target audience is firmly academic.

If you're studying ethology, it's likely a compulsory read for your college. And rightly so! What the book lacks in depth (it's just 170 pages), it makes up in breadth: taking you through a wide sweep at all essential topics for measuring behaviour.

Unless you're a first year Psych/Ethology student, you'll be familiar with most of the concepts, but it serves as a wonderful, concise, refresher of the fundamentals. A couple of paragraphs gave me the clearest explanations I'd ever read: e.g. four questions of ethology, sampling vs. recording methods, the interrelated behaviour sciences, etc. The list of annotated references also offers a great tool if you wanted to dig deeper.

I do have an ax to grind though: every topic in the statistics section was soooo superficial. It barely covered some topics at conceptual level. I also found the chapter on findings presentation so superficial as to make the inclusion/exclusion of particular points look haphazard. I would have done away with that chapter altogether, as it doesn't gel tightly with the book's core objective anyway.

So, verdict time: I love that it is succinct, I hate that it is succinct... A classic all the same.
on 25 July 2013
A must have for anyone who is studying behaviour; especially if you are planning on doing data collection and behavioural studies. Covers everything you need to know, where to start and offers solutions to problems you may occur. This has been highly recommended to be by my lectures and I am very happy I have bought it for my dissertation behaviour studies at zoological parks
on 1 May 2013
Good for any beginners wanting to know the basics of measuring behaviour. Explains most concepts and methods clearly and efficiently, but if you already have a basic grasp of the subject I would recommend something a little more in depth.
on 10 July 2015
Very useful for learning about observation and data collection. Nicely written, easy to read and understandable. Finishing off my master's project at the moment and I'm fairly confident about my methods, thanks to this book among others. Doesn't really go into statistics much but that's stated by the authors as not being their focus so it's fine by me.
on 28 November 2012
For Degree work, I used this a lot,
A great book to learn from - for measuring horses behaviour, some graph work, and some maths to go with it.
Easy to understand..A must for Horse Science in Behavoiur
on 16 November 2011
This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in animal behaviour studies. Recommended read by 'Animal Behaviour and Welfare' Lecturer at Harper Adams University College, Shropshire.
on 21 May 2016
Very useful reference book for my studies and also a good book to just sit and read to improve knowledge of animal behaviour.