Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2009
I'm researching this as part of a wider project on early and progressive Roman culture. I found the book easy to read, helpfully supported with images and structured simply to give immediate access to given topics.

I found this book a perfect stepping tone, posing some thoughtful questions and with a great bibliography for further reading.

I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the area and looking for a quick read to get started.
on 20 February 2012
I bought this book for two students studying at school in Scotland for Higher Classical Studies. It is an excellent introduction to the subject with plenty of passages from source materials and illustrations which help to bring the subject to life.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2012
I was looking for a basic overview of Roman religion and I found it in this book. The positive points are that its relatively short, each chapter covers a different area for example; Religion and War, Religion and the State, Calendars, Festivals and Games, its filled with lots of black and white photos but best of all there are many original quotes from our fore-bearers in Rome - so rather than the author telling us what they thought we hear it from them.

Now on the downside its not cheap, its short so there is limited explanation, there is a focus on the upper classes and not the masses, so it's a good introduction for those who already have a knowledge of roman history but it left me with many unanswered questions.
on 16 June 2012
The writer has done a great job in explaining Roman religion, it's myths and meaning to the general reader. Of particular interest are the parts where the influence on Roman life and Christianity are dealt with. In addition I would recommend The Religion of Numa: And Other Essays on the Religion of Ancient Rome as it gives a different perspective and insight.