5.0 out of 5 stars well-written and engaging, 5 April 2010
This review is from: The Cambridge Companion to Brahms (Cambridge Companions to Music) (Paperback)
I am writing this on behalf of my partner, a Brahms scholar, but have read the book from cover to cover as well. It's wonderfully engaging and has changed the way I listen to this great Romantic composer, also the way I view his friendships with other composers like Schumann, and his legacy in general, which is immense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cambridge Companion to Brahms, 5 July 2010
D. Brooks - See all my reviews
This book is edited by Michael Musgrave who has chosen knowledgable scholars to write 12 chapters covering the life and works of Brahms with musical analysis of many of his compositions. It is a really interesting and informative book, not dry as dust like some musical analysis can be, but keeping ones attention all the time, and I find myself not wanting to put it down. It is also an excellent book of reference as it has not only a general index which is in itself comprehensive but also gives a complete list of the works of Brahms giving the page numbers where these references can be found. I love this book and have found it indispensible in a very short time, and I can recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the music and life of Brahms and wants a fairly short summary of his life. If you want a more detailed analysis of his life and works I would recommend the biography by Jan Swafford which I also own. This is now out of print but second hand copies are available.

The Cambridge Companion to Brahms (Cambridge Companions to Music)
The Cambridge Companion to Brahms (Cambridge Companions to Music) by Michael Musgrave (Paperback - 27 May 1999)
23.99