While conceding the generalities described by other reviewers, I think it worth mentioning that the first two words I tried to look up in this dictionary — "secular" (as in "secular increase") and "exiguous" — weren't in it.

And neither is particularly difficult. I'm having a mild attack of buyer's remorse.

Update: I have now replaced my Cambridge with the Concise Oxford, with which I'm definitely happier. If English is not your native language, however, I'd say you're better off sticking with the Cambridge (see my review of the Concise for the reasons).
on 22 January 2000
As a teacher of English at a German College this book has often been a great help to me. I use a lot of dictionaries, this one is a+. Important is the inclusion of US and AUS usage, which some other dictionaries just ignore.
on 5 September 2001
this dictionary is unbelievably comprehensive - it has both words and phrases used in everyday language. it is therefore especially useful for non-native speakers who are finding it hard to get to grips with colloquialisms. this dictionary is simply the best i have every used and would recommend it to everyone and anyone.
on 12 December 2014
For me, one of the best monolingual English dictionaries, first because of its fine word explanations by providing a wonderful choice of sentences for almost all important words, thus, illuminating a word's many meanings in all its facets, just according to its various favourite mates/partners. Such an achievements is only made possible by means of modern statistical tools measuring word frequency and discovering collocations on the basis of big electronic corpora. A further advantage of this older edition compared to the newer, shorter one lies in the fact that the lexical entry of many words has not been curtailed. Go for it! The advantage of a book from the Gutenberg galaxy over a hype electronic lexical media is that you have 20.000 or more words put together under two covers, wheres an internet dictionary gives you only one single item after the other, and that takes time, and you will get an overview of a language's verbal rescources, only step by step, i.e. quite slowly. Sometimes, to browse a big dic beats picking words out of a web word machine.
on 8 July 2001
This dictionary is so comprehensive you can find everything you look for. It has got plain English to explain anything even very complicated ones. It is for from beginners to proficient and native English people. Highly recommended.
on 5 October 2000
Even though English is my first language, I have found this dictionary invaluable due to the usage examples given. I wish this dictionary had been available when I was at school. My colleagues are often asking to borrow it.