3.0 out of 5 stars Good and helpful, but too few chapters are directly useful for me, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Cambridge Companion to Plato (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy) (Paperback)
My 3 star rating reflects how useful I found this book. Individually the essays are good, but not all of them were particularly relevant to me. The first three essays are really about history and interpretation of Plato - rather than philosophy and were less relevant for me. Several of the essays are no doubt great thinking, but were on some of the less common aspects of Plato's writing. There are several very good pieces in here and undoubtedly my understanding of Plato has improved significantly from reading this. If my interests were different, then I might have graded the book higher.

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful guide, 15 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This book has proved very useful for my degree course in Philosophy. However, it is a very dense read and can take a long time to piece it apart to make real sense of it. That said, once you have done that it really is a thorough tool and sheds some interesting ideas on Platos works.

3.0 out of 5 stars It would seem so, Socrates, 15 May 2011
I find it richly ironic that there is no Cambridge companion to the Cambridge Platonists.

How come? You never become prophet in your hometown, I suppose...

The Cambridge Companion to Plato (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy)
27.54