5.0 out of 5 stars this is a brilliant book
all kinds of activities involved in this book:pictures, games, roleplay etc....but your students need to have at least an intermediate level or certain activities will be very boring for the teacher if your pupils don't have enough vocabulary
Published on 8 Dec 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for.
I teach ESL to children, many don't even write in their mother tongue. So it isn't quite as usful as I had hoped.
But I do teach some older children and I have used some of the activities and they were good.
I was looking for quick activites that got the children moving, which I don't think this book does.
I think it will be a book that I will dip into...
Published on 12 Jan 2010 by R. M. Strang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a brilliant book, 8 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Five-Minute Activities: A Resource Book of Short Activities (Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful tool book, 30 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book is a huge resource of ideas for class activities, for one student or a full class. These are all easily adaptable to suit individual requirements and level of competence. As a relatively new tutor of English to ESOL students, I am finding this a real treasure. All of the activities have examples and hints to extend the scope of the ideas. For the experienced teacher or for the newcomer, this is the sort of book one would refer to over and over again. I especially like the fact that I can adapt the ideas to suit my own style and the requirements of my widely disparate students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for English teachers., 3 April 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is great for any time of the year but more so when you need a quick start to a lesson or a change during a lesson. I use it sometimes as a pre-starter for the times when pupils aren't arriving all at the same time (after break or lunch). I also use it when I announce to the class "let's have a change as you are working extremely hard" little do they know I planned this and have already identified the activity!

I have taught English in a 'good' school, a school where some pupils are very weak and more recently in a special school for EBD. It gets used in all of them!

A fab resource not just for English teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful resource book for language teachers around., 3 April 1999
By A Customer
Everybody wants to borrow this book from me and not return it! It is the most useful collection of short activities for language teachers available...you can practically open it anywhere, walk into the class and do it...and be sure of success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, 15 Mar 2009
This is an excellent resource for teachers of English as a foreign language, containing tens upon tens of interesting and fun ideas for language activities. They would, however require more than five minutes to do with a class, the average time would be, I'd say, around 10-15 minutes, more if you want. (Maybe the five minutes were refering to the time the teacher needs to prepare them?)

Underneath the title of each activity, there is a short description of what language issue it is aimed at. After the activity is explained, one or more variations of it are provided (which, in turn, can inspire you to more variations). After some of the activities, "boxes" are provided, with samples of contents that could be used for that particular activity. At the end of the book, the index lists activities according to their aims, making it easier to zero in on what you need at any given moment.

You can, of course, adapt the exercises in all kinds of creative ways (changing the aim of an activity, but keeping its pattern, changing the pattern, but keeping the aim, etc.), but, should you not be in the mood to make changes, the book as it is provides a wealth of resources offering variety, entertainment, and an "outside-the-box" approach to learning the language. I will keep it as a valuable resource for as long as I teach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential when you need to fill gaps or change pace, 7 Feb 2009
As a new TEFL teacher, I bought this to alleviate the panic of facing a class without enough ideas to keep the lesson moving. This little book is a real life-saver, offering as it does a simple yet effective range of activities for those moments when you want to change gear, add some variety or plug a time-gap. A really useful resource, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for., 12 Jan 2010
R. M. Strang (Adliswil Switzerland) - See all my reviews
I think it will be a book that I will dip into every now and again - so it isn't a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any ESL teacher, 10 April 2009
I can't say enough good things about this book, it's just full of great ideas which take almost no preparation. As an ESL teacher I struggle with two things, one is boredom, teaching the same material over and over, and trying to find new ways to re-enforce what I just taught. This book wins on both counts, first it has so many simple no prep ideas that I'm never bored, secondly it has some great exercises to help re-enforce that grammar point you just taught.

Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Maria's review, 1 Mar 2009
5 minutes fun for your students. Apart from (stupid) jokes, this book is really useful for short activities in the classroom. I already know what this book was about because I had seen a copy of it and it was recommended to me by other teachers. In my Teacher Training Course we even tried out some of the activities suggested; they work and are good fun too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little green book, 17 Feb 2009
This little book is well worth the money. Easy to dip into during lessons, most activities require no preparation. Also it has a useful index where you can search by language outcome or game title.

I use it loads!