5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book for electronics enthusiasts
As an electronics hobbyist, I must say that I can't rate this book highly enough.
It is a very good introduction to the fundamentals of electronics, such as how transistors behave, as well as having a large number of "cookbook" examples of good and bad circuits.
It is written in a nice, easy, informal style, without heavy emphasis on mathematics. Although it is...
Published on 15 Oct 2002 by S. Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars A once great book
Update: The long awaited 3rd edition of this text is apparently completed and being typeset, with a view to release mid 2014. You are advised not to buy this edition!

I am well aware that i am treading a dangerous line here. Many people fanatically swear by the "Bible" as it is so often called.

I'm sure that at some point, this really was the best...
Published on 9 Oct 2009 by Josh

5.0 out of 5 stars The best electronics text book in the world, probably, 22 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
It has been pointed out that this book dose not rigourously cover theory - this is true. As a student, you will need to buy another book to cover electronics theory and pass exams. After that, however, your theory books will be sitting on the shelf gathering dust, as mine are, and you will be reaching for the Art of Electronics again and again. With the informal tone and humour that typifies U.S. technical books, this book covers what you actually need to know to successfully carry out an electronics project. Quite simply,it is the best value text book I have ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars The electronics bible., 17 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
I work for a major semiconductor company. If I look around the office I can see a copy of this book on nearly everybody's desk. True, this book is not full of formulae, but this is its plus point. University courses in electronics teach you lots of hard sums, but most circuit design is actually done using rules of thumb and standard circuits. These are the things that this book gives you. Buy it, it is absolutely indispensable.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, because..., 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
The book I received is a knock-off copy (in my opinion). The cover does not match the one advertised. The usuall copyright and publication information pages are also missing. After having read a small section of the book, I found several pages printed in the wrong order. They weren't incorrectly bound, but actually printed in the wrong order. It makes me wonder what else is mis-printed. Still it's based on an original work that I wanted to read - but didn't want to pay the huge price - so it's okay. Just be aware that this may not be an original copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 12 April 2014
Oldsirhippy "The_Elsyd" (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
Read this almost from from cover to cover - except for the microprocessor section which is way out of date. Everyone I met who has a copy said that it was a great book and a classic. I now agree with them, it really is very good.
It would be nice to have it updated with current electronic technologies.

5.0 out of 5 stars As the title says: a piece of art!, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
The book gives a very solid introduction to both analog and digital electronics from a very clear and practical point of view.
The math is used with parsimony where is really needed to clarify some pivotal concepts.
In my experience to get a clear understanding of how something works, a "practical approach" is usually more useful than detailed mathematical formalisms. Using this book I understood some concepts way better than using the classical academic textbooks.

In my opinion this is totally a must have for everyone serious about electronics!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Electronics., 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
I bought the Art of Electronics as a present, which I know the recipient will love. He has wanted this book for some time and I know he will use it for reference for a very long time.
The packaging and delivery of the book was excellent. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical and useful for retired professionals and students alike., 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
Deals with most subjects in a practical, non-mathematically detailed way. A good reference book for those who have covered the subjects in their youth but who are now a bit hazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Electronics, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my nephew after looking at all the other electronics books. This book remains as the bible of electronics. I used this book when I was studing electronics. It covers all of the fundamentals that anyone should know.

5.0 out of 5 stars For real world engineering, 14 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
Some of the comments below say that this is not a great undergrads book. Well no, not for coursework (but great for your project work!). But AFTER you graduate you are quite likely to find that this is the only book you ever refer to. I threw my uni textbooks away years ago, I'm now on my third copy of this because people keep stealing it! Just wish someone would update it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best general electronics book., 15 May 2001
nmacmillan@csi.com (Northampton England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Electronics (Hardcover)
If you only ever buy one book on the subject of Electronics, H&Hs' The Art of Electronics is the one book to buy. I regularly refer to this book to refresh my memory since a lot of the theory that I learned at college has been forgotten. I'll never get bored reading this book.

The Art of Electronics
The Art of Electronics by Winfield Hill (Hardcover - 28 July 1989)
63.00