Published on 10 Mar. 2012 by Mike Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid
For my purposes the de Jong commentary is much more informative. It is not much help with difficulties of translation
Published 14 months ago by Terence Bird

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a great help to the general reader of the Greek text, 10 Mar. 2012
As a general reader who wanted to tackle the Iliad in Greek and wanted a modern commentary to help, I found this very useful in conjunction with electronic aids like the Perseus Project (e.g. making LSJ and Leaf's classic commentary available) and products like Lexiphanes and Logos Bible Software which make those Perseus content available in a convenient form on the iPad.

I certainly needed its support when ploughing through Book 2 (Catalogue of Ships). The commentary is very strong on rhythm though I'm not sure that even now I'd be able to spot a rising threefolder unaided! I found that Kirk was mostly quite good at explaining the difficult bits of Greek, though he does seem to be going AWOL occasionally when I need him as I read the start of Book 4. I also enjoy his willingness (rarer in 19th century commentaries) to say when he thinks a passage is particularly brilliant.

Overall I think it's a good commentary but sometimes a bit pedestrian and too concerned with rhythmical aspects and with the opinions of Zenodotus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 8 Jan. 2014
Terence Bird (Ipswich UK) - See all my reviews

The Iliad: A Commentary: Volume 5, Books 17-20: Books 17-20 v. 5
The Iliad: A Commentary: Volume 5, Books 17-20: Books 17-20 v. 5 by Mark W. Edwards (Paperback - 25 Oct. 1991)