4.0 out of 5 stars A useful introduction to Complex Analysis
Published on 23 Jun 2003 by debbiemasterton18

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok to give an idea of the ideas and lacks real substance.
Published on 8 Dec 2008 by H. S. Sidhu

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok to give an idea of the ideas and lacks real substance., 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: Complex Analysis: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Plane (Paperback)
At first when I began to read from this book it felt an easy, simple to read book giving clarity rather than anchoring you down with complicated notation and language. However, the simplicity is at a payoff, later topics within chapter 7 and onwards lack enough rigour to really give you the ability to be able to use it in application (although the concepts remains clear). The book is riddled with 'typos'/'mistakes'; within proofs and exercise and derivations of formulas, so you lose time trying to understand or solve questions which will inherently lead you to the wrong conclusions relative to what the question is implying to. So it has naturally lead to frustration and doubt whether the question are worth the effort. The 'loose' definitions restrict logical growth and certain concepts are to brief to give the full weight of their importance.

They have given you the map but not the compass and a legend for the map. So while you may understand the concepts, it's beauty is left hidden in the exercises! I felt slightly robbed that they may of been a bit lazy in leaving all the work in the exercises. As a mathematician I understand the necessity of exercises but only if they lead or provide you the tools to be able to complete them; this is where I feel they went wrong (mistakes included).

Finally, the examples are basic and do not fully explore the definitions or theorems.

It is a good book for the very, very basics and if you don't read too deeply into it; so overall, disappointed, expected more from a Ian Stewart book. For a fuller grasp of the subject you will need another book; you have been warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful introduction to Complex Analysis, 23 Jun 2003
I have recently completed a third year undergraduate course in complex analysis and I found this book to be helpful to me in explaining the ideas and concepts of analysis in the complex plane. The book is set out in an easy to follow manner with many worked examples and lots of exercises at the end of each chapter to help consolidate the ideas learnt. I found it complemented my class notes with more in depth explainations. I also found it a good point of reference for exercises set by my tutor.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better texts on the subject, 5 Jan 2008
Although my course notes were fully comprehensive when I did this subject, they lacked that extra something that made the exposition limpid. I got this book after I'd finished the course, but I wish I'd had it at the time because I may have got a better result (i.e. a 1 rather than a 2).

Complex Analysis is when maths grows up and really starts becoming a useful tool - it underpins the whole of modern physics and more. It's also rumoured to be a difficult subject. Stewart and Tall give the lie to this by writing a text which is one of the clearest texts I've seen on *any* mathematical subject.

I agree with all the other reviewers. This book rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian Stewart does it again, 15 Mar 2005
Its ashame that Stewart no longer lectures and I had an awful lecturer who taught me Complex Analysis, and when I struggled throught the course, this book was my saviour. Somehow Stewart always seem able to explain complicated ideas in simplistic ways so that the ideas stick in the mind.
Also recommend Galois Theory by Stewart if you are doing a course in Galois Theory, equally complicated ideas made simple again.

5.0 out of 5 stars revealing questions help, 6 Aug 2007
ab..c (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Hi,

The way the subjects in the book have been organised shows tight control during its creation. Each explanation is crafted; each of the many questions in the chapters has been carefully selected to point something out to the reader that helps its appreciation. The deeper you read into the books topics the more rarefied the level of mathematics.

The initial chapters are straightforward bridging level. The usage of many helpfully diagrams explains the importance of `power series' using `x' as the independent variable and allows the transition in their relationships using 'Cauchy-Riemann' partial-differential equations. Then usage of trigonometrically based series with 'Z' functions is painlessly introduced and explored and into the calculus using these functions. The role of the complex logarithm is shown by how many times it's reworked to highlight points in the area.

The Calculus with 'Z' variables allows greater depth of Complex functions to be explored and the nature of the requirements in this area is made clearer. I liked especially how the `Cauchy Theorem' was interpreted via the theorem of a triangle, paths in their domains and how this allows homotopy / analytic answers to be made and again slides from Taylor series painlessly into the more applicable `Laurent' series and residues. The latter is a simplified proof reason why a triangle is the basic geometric figure to produce all other images with graphical accelerator cards.

The latter parts have greater complexity -excuse the pun- and much more real mathematical reasoning is used to firm the results. I really feel this book is a workshop to sharpen the skills in this area and it's worth every penny I paid for it. This is one of a few books I feel it's worth buying I.M.H.O

2.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with small errors from the start, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Complex Analysis (Hardcover)
This book contains very many annoying errors from the beginning it's disappointing that so many have got through to the release I expected these to have been picked up on a first proof check of the book while in draft. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this in the reviews. The book seems over priced when I purchased the book it only cost £8.95!
The annoying errors throughout caused myself some confusion until I figured what it should be I took much longer to read it than I should have due to this and I can envisage this causing problems to a reader that's unfamiliar or new to the subject.
Another thing is that I skipped all the exercises as there's no way to check whether you correctly answer them as there are no solutions. This is a pity as these would certainly aid understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheeky little monkey, 28 Aug 2012
During my second year at Warwick back in 1984, we had to complete a self-taught "reading" course, which basically involved having to buy and read this book. Ian Stewart and David Hall were both lecturers at the Uni, so it was a nice way of getting a bit of cash through forced sales from undergraduates.

Cheeky little monkeys - it would have been just as easy to ask us for a whip round LOL.

Good book though - nicely laid out as I remember it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good textbook, 13 Sep 2004
Mr. C. E. Tsui (BA History student University of London) - See all my reviews
I think every Mathematician should have this book .. Its my third year Complex analysis textbook ...Its much better than Schaum's Outlines Comlex Variable by Spiegel ..That book is for the student haven't got a brain and want to pass Complex analysis with third class degree...Don't buy that book ..there is much better book waiting for you Ian Stewart Complex Analysis .. We love you and your book

Complex Analysis: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Plane
Complex Analysis: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Plane by David Tall (Paperback - 10 Mar 1983)