5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully-illustrated and readable compendium
This is a beautifully-illustrated and readable guide to the solar system, intended to be comprehensible to non-experts and containing a wealth of scientific information.

Published on 9 Aug 2011 by M. F. Cayley

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the printed book
I'm sure this is an excellent book in it's printed format but I would avoid the Kindle version.

Published on 4 Jun 2012 by Steve G

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully-illustrated and readable compendium, 9 Aug 2011
M. F. Cayley (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cambridge Guide to the Solar System (Hardcover)

An opening chapter gives a historical perspective to our understanding of the solar system. This is followed by chapters on spacecraft missions and on planetary atmospheres and magnetic fields. The core of the book is separate chapters on the Earth, its moon, and each of the other major planets (including their own moons), incorporating many recent discoveries. The final chapters cover asteroids, meteorites, comets, dwarf planets (among them, Pluto), the origin of the solar system, and exoplanets (planets circling other stars).

This is a very good and readable compendium. My one criticism is that the glue binding pages together does not have any reinforcement: with a fairly heavy book like this, I suspect that with frequent use the binding may start to come apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cambridge gyide to the Solar System, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Cambridge Guide to the Solar System (Hardcover)
Had 1st edition in paperback wanted this edition for many years as it is a fantastic book, could resist at this price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the printed book, 4 Jun 2012

I purchased a copy for my iPad/Kindle and found the format very unsatisfactory. I realise kindle books, brilliant as they are, are not ideally suited for casually dropping in on a random page or being read non sequentially as one might with this type of publication. However, this Kindle book seems to have a fundamental problem.

I started reading about the rotation of the Earth and not withstanding the fact the captions under the illustrative figures are the same size and style as the rest of the text which did make for some confusion on turning the pages, it proceeded to jump mid sentence into something entirely different and unrelated and then again the same thing a couple of pages later.

Also some of the tables look like they were done on a poor quality photocopier.

I am a great fan of Kindle publications but will probably stick in future to novels and biographies which are usually all text based. Obviously it's forte.

I discovered that after a Kindle book purchase it can be returned within 7 days so I have done just that.

The 1 star relates to the Kindle formating and not the book itself.

The Cambridge Guide to the Solar System
The Cambridge Guide to the Solar System by Kenneth R. Lang (Hardcover - 3 Mar 2011)