5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!
After 20 years of teaching EFL I have to say, this is probably the best grammar book for intermediate students. Clear, concise, yet comprehensive, it doesn't leave anything to chance, giving and explaining alternative answers - and you can be completely confident that you're teaching the 'correct' grammar - which sadly isn't so for all grammar books.
Published on 21 July 2006 by Patience

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book to learn grammar from.
I bought this book with the hope to improve my grammar after reading the reviews here. Perhaps others may have found this book extremely useful, however I personally have not found it beneficial. The other day I wanted to find out about the first conditonal and found that it only has 2 lines on it, which does not make it any clearer.
It definitely has a lot of...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Phil S.B

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good series, 3 Mar 2013
Mr. Leonard F. Clark "Len CLark" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar in Use with Answers and CD-ROM: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Learners of English (Paperback)
We already had an older version of this book and I wanted an up-to-date version for lessons I'm giving a French friend. This covers Intermediate level at an excellent pace, provides suitable examples for an older student and lots of exercises. The Answers is important (because I'm too lazy to work them out for myself and I can give him self-test exercises) and the CD is vital. (If you hunt through the CD you can find *half* of each section in pdf format, which is great for printing sheets for the student to take away.)

5.0 out of 5 stars English grammae review, 5 Sep 2010
This is a very well written book which explains in great detail the grammar of the English language. Each point is illustrated by numerous examples. The book is simple enough for students studying English to use on their own but is also sufficiently sophisticated for use by teachers in classrooms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for self-study for intermediate grammar learners, 22 July 2014
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent home study grammar book. It provides nice, clear explanations and examples of key grammar points and provides useful practice exercises that test understanding. Aimed at Intermediate level, the coverage is generally interesting enough to keep even older users interested. Answers are supplied for self-correction. The CD includes additional material. A great text book for EFL students in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best grammar books I ever had., 21 Sep 2004
Dr. Pedro L. Moran-Raschio "pedroluis" (Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
Having aproximately 30 books of English Grammar, this is on of the best, I learned English on this one. After seen this brillian new version in colour and CDROM, I bought it and it is better than ever. This is one of the starts in my collection, simple, practical , with theory and exercises what else can we ask? Covers all the basic aspects of English grammar in different chapters, well presented, organized and simple to understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usefull and good problem with the quality of the paper, 1 Sep 2008
C. MacIejasz "Caro Pi" (Kraków, PL) - See all my reviews
I buy this book based in the advise of a friend that is an english teacher and the reviews that I read from amazon uk and amozon US. the book is very usefull for me. I never learn english from Class I learn english from HBO and Cinemax. Because of this I have a lot of problems with my grammar, I have quite a good vocabulary and my pronuntiation is pretty well, bt when I am writing... The problems appear this book help me a lot with that the study guide make me realize witch are my major mistakes and the cd is also pretty good. I recomend this book to all the people that think that they know enough english to not take classes again or for those who already take it but need an extra help in grammar, easy to follow and very clear. The only but is the quality of the paper... Is not bad, quite the opposite, too good, so if you are doing the book by your own ou will find almost imposible to erase in the pages, be carfull on that, from the rest... you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite effective., 9 April 2009
This is a Ronseal(tm) book. Contains what it says on the tin, to borrow and adapt a phrase.

Personally, I would like a slightly more contemporary approach; but my wife (for whom english is a second language) tells me the approach this book uses is just fine and is more useful than most of it's peers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 15 April 2013
Great book, as are all the others. I had thought that the CD contained the exercises in the book, whereas it actually contains some extra exercises which I probably won't use. If this is the case for you, save yourself some money and buy the book on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, easy to use and good value., 4 Nov 2011
I am not a teacher- I bought this book for my Romanian housemate and friend after it was recommended by the local college. I agree with another reviewer that more exercises which develop a single theme, or 'story', may have made it a little easier for students to use, but there are numerous exercises and nothing is 'left to chance' here. A major problem for students from abroad is the remarkable fluidity of English- it simply refuses to follow its own 'rules'! English picks up bits from many other languages and finds ways to adapt and incorporate them. As a result it is a 'fluid' and ever- developing language that provides many different ways of saying much the same thing. It is this non- prescriptive quality that helps to make English the 'world language', but that is not always helpful to students! On top of that- do, does, don't, did, didn't, will do...how do you slot in words like these, in the correct tense, single or plural? This book does help the reader fathom (there's a perplexing word!) all that out, and then practise it. It is a weighty tome, logically organized and good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful book, 3 July 2010
I would recommend this book to people who already have some knowledge of the English grammar, but want to expand that knowledge. It is very good for self study, as there are both explanations of grammar rules as well as exercises with answers. The book's layout is very clear and the explanations are not too complicated. It can also be used by teachers as an additional source of grammar exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for students and teachers alike, 7 Feb 2009
Romesh G. Kapuge "TheOneWayRoad" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the best grammar books I've ever seen. Teaches you intermediate level grammar in an easier to understand way with use of diagrams. Students can clear doubts about grammatical points using this book. Highly recommended for English students and English teachers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›