5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous volume on a history so underrated, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Explorers of the Southern Sky: A History of Australian Astronomy (Paperback)
I first read this book in 1997 shortly after publication and really understood the principles underpinning the astronomy of the Southern Sky. Having read a history of astronomy in South Africa by Patrick Moore a few years before that, and having spent some of my childhood under the Southern Skies in Australia, I had no excuse but to read. I was not disappointed nor am I disappointed that the book has reappeared in paperback. At a much reduced price, I recommend this book to all astronomers and astronomical historians. If you missed out on the 1996 hardback edition, which was reproduced on dire worthless paper, go with this reproduced Cambridge paperback. I assure you a good story and excellent signposting throughout. The authors of course, need no introduction to astronomers and astronomical historians - they are all leaders in their fields of astronomical research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Print quality, 8 Mar 2009
RTFishall "terry5680" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
A book worthy of a place in any astronomical library. However at 100 (UK), I would have hoped that Cambridge University Press could have arranged to print it on better quality paper. Unfortunately, not a book that will stand the test of regular reference.

Explorers of the Southern Sky: A History of Australian Astronomy
Explorers of the Southern Sky: A History of Australian Astronomy by Richard McGee (Paperback - 26 Aug 2010)
33.09