4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Introduction to Representation Theory, 11 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Representations and Characters of Groups (Paperback)
This book deals with introductory representation theory very well, introducing the often difficult-to-grasp concept of a module very well, considering. However, although the proofs are slicker, I would prefer at least a small matrix-leaning for the uninitiated. Considering they assume almost no group theory whatsoever, to introduce modules that quickly seems like a bit of lopsidedness in the prerequisites. Having said that, this is my only grumble with this book. Well planned and with a leisurely pace, this book should keep most people, at least through the first two-thirds of the book. I would recommend this book - I learned (basic) representation theory solely from this book, and it hasn't done me any harm!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable Maths Book!, 25 July 2007
Graham Gerrard (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Representations and Characters of Groups (Paperback)
I found the book easy to start with a cursory cursory read through to get an overview. I needed to re-read each chapter carefully to get to grips with the content. The contents fared well under scrutiny with neat concise proofs. Whether my linear algebra and group theory would stand the strain was always a worry, but the style of the writing kept me reassured, a compliment to the authors. The result is that I now have a fairly good idea of the subject.

An enjoyable learning experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Feb. 2015
excellent

Representations and Characters of Groups
Representations and Characters of Groups by Martin Liebeck (Paperback - 18 Oct. 2001)