1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Ant Farm 1968 - 1978, 30 Jan. 2009
E. Ward "'emmagleb'" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ant Farm 1968 - 1978: Timeline by Ant Farm (Paperback)
This is an exceptionally random books. I'd not heard of Ant Farm until I was asked to write an essay on one of their works last year, but on buying this book I soon wished I had!

As more-designers-than-architects, they explore the realms of more edgy design, ranging from inflatables to time capsules to a one-off house (House of the Century - erotic, inprising and heart-wrenching all at the same time). The cover picture of the half buried cadillacs is one of their more well known projects, but only scrapes the surface of this team's capabilities and skills. Most of their projects are covered in this book (but with varying degrees of detail) and it gives a fantastic insight into their work. A lot of their designs were destroyed in a studio fire in 1978, so this book is perhaps the most comprehensive and most detailed record in existance.

I'v found their work inspiring and useful as pecedence for my own work. Cultural ties with the work and 1960's America are also evident, and I found that this further adds to the significance and time-stamping of the designs. Some of them reinforce the American Dream, others gently mock it.

For more information of House of the Century, type 'Mojo Relic' into youtube for a fantastic video filmed just after completion. This also leads to videos covering the construction.

I highly recommend this book - esspecially if you like Archigram, amongst others.

Ant Farm 1968 - 1978: Timeline by Ant Farm
Ant Farm 1968 - 1978: Timeline by Ant Farm by Steve Seid (Paperback - 5 Mar. 2004)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available