5.0 out of 5 stars Evocatively written, sweeping in its grandeur
Most of us have a short list of classic novels that we mean to read but which never get to the top of the pile.

Published on 15 May 2012 by Feast

2.0 out of 5 stars work, not pleasure
Published 15 months ago by A. J. McGowan

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocatively written, sweeping in its grandeur, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Three Kingdoms: Pt. 1: A Historical Novel: Complete and Unabridged v. 1 (Paperback)

Fortunately, I eventually got round to reading The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It is a beautiful novel; grand in scope, majestic in delivery and effortlessly blending mythology with history. Despite a cast seeming to number in the thousands, the reader still remains connected to the main characters and the overarching story almost always remains in focus. Not being fluent in Chinese, I cannot speak for the accuracy of the translation, but the English is vibrant, evocative and engaging. It also feels surprisingly modern in tone (especially when political or military strategy is discussed) but whether that is because of the timeless themes of the original text or ingenuity of the translation, I am not sure.

If you've been meaning to read Three Kingdoms but haven't found the time, I hope this review is the final nudge to just do it.

2.0 out of 5 stars work, not pleasure, 15 April 2013
A. J. McGowan (London) - See all my reviews
I'm afraid I just couldn't get on with this. I found the writing rather odd, and the whole thing read very much like a translation - I know that's what is is, but with all great translations you forget that and lose yourself in the text, but here that just didn't happen. Characters said things; battles were fought; friendships were forged and broken, but for me none of it really mattered. By all means try it, but for me this just felt like work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unmitigated pleasure, 8 May 2012
This is a gorgeous two volume set, that will transport the reader to a wonderful world. This novel, along with "Outlaws of the Marsh", "Dream of the Red Chamber" and "Journey to the West" completes the best that China's historic writers have to offer. If readers enjoy this novel a fraction as much as I did, their in for a terrific time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course one of the best storys ever written helps too of course, 2 July 2014
Mr. R. Hine "Amuro" (UK) - See all my reviews
Since I played the games and watched film's based on this before reading. I bought another version of this and the names of the charters were different to the games and films, so was very hard to follow. But this version has the names translated in the same way that the dynasty warrior games do, finding it alot easier to follow. Of course one of the best storys ever written helps too of course.

Three Kingdoms: Pt. 1: A Historical Novel: Complete and Unabridged v. 1