5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST effective study process book in the genre!
Of all the books I have read about the effective study process, this is the BEST!
Published on 4 Nov. 2001 by Lee Say Keng

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointing but worth a second look
Published on 21 Nov. 2007 by "Lucky Jim"

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST effective study process book in the genre!, 4 Nov. 2001
Lee Say Keng "KNOWLEDGE ADVENTURER/TECHNOLOGY... (Ho Chi Minh City/Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. (Paperback)
The core value of this book lies in the twelve powerful 'Cyberlearning Questions' which have been skillfully crafted by the author. These well-constructed questions will help you to think through and navigate the information overload in your text materials. The author gives a lot of specific study/reading examples to guide the reader.
Most students treat study/reading as a regurgitating process. In essence, study/reading is a thinking - and reflective - process. Questions help you to think and reflect better. Not only that, they help you to retain and recall the learned information better and faster. Think about it: A 'question mark' when inverted looks exactly like a 'fish hook.' It hooks into your memory banks. The 'Cyberlearning Questions' have been designed specifically for this purpose.
For any student who wants to master his life in school and in college (or even in the university), and if you can just learn and then master these twelve questions, your life will be a breeze. Guaranteed!
In fact, I would strongly recommend all teachers to read this book if they really want to help their students to excel in school. The twelve questions will greatly enhance their repertoire of teaching tools.
As a matter of fact, I have incorporated (with some adaptations) all the twelve questions in my own training programs with teachers and school kids across all levels. For working professionals who want to read faster, these twelve questions can be easily adapted to cater to their reading needs. I have proven them in my own workshops with entrepreneurs, professionals and managers.
In other words, this great book is also suitable for all working professionals, especially those taking evening MBA programs.
Nevertheless, I would still recommend young readers to read this book jointly with Sean Covey's Seven Habits for Highly Effective Teens. This is my reason: The first three habits, namely, Be Proactive, Having the End in Mind, and First Things First, as outlined in the book, must come first for any student who wants to achieve personal success in school life.
To put into perspective, once you exercise personal initiative, take consistent and prioritised action - and with a specific purpose in your mind, the strategy of using the twelve questions will easily fall into place.
In the case of working adults, read Stephen Covey (the author's father)'s book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical study techniques based on liberal education., 10 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This is the first book I've read which has the practical advise on thinking skills which are based on principles of liberal education. It teaches you how to think, and not simply how to study. The techniques taught, therefore, apply to ones profession, to ones life, and not just to exams. The few details I do not like about the book are the references to the school as being the "wrong" place of learning. Although the educational system really needs a lot of improvements, his generalizations are, I think, quite unfair.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book that every student should have, 18 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
I only bought this book a few days ago and I almost finished it. I'm very please I bought it because I have found it extremely helpful and inspiring. I wish a had a book like this when I was much younger, but I suppose is never too late to start learning how to learn.

The author gives lots of suggestions and tips on how to significantly improve our learming abilities. As he states in his book is not about being less or more intelligent, but it's about being smart and apply simple techniques to enhance learning, being able to process the learning and then being able to retrive the information when needed, especially during an exam. Everybody can do this just by using the techniques.

I immediatly started to apply his suggestions and I'm already noticing how my understandng of the topics I'm studying is much better and because I fully understand it I'm more likely to remember what I'm studying.

I would also advice to read Tony Buzan books on mind map. I have found mind maps very useful as well especially for revision.
I think that combining mind maps with Adam Robinson's techniques any average student can become a first class student.

Parents please buy this book for your children as this book will really help to improve their grades and it will equip them with great learning tools for the rest of their lives.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must have for any student!, 26 July 1998
By A Customer
I've always considered my self a "smart student". Until I read this book, I didn't realize how much study time I've wasted.It gives extremely helpful tips on how to write an 'A'paper,take careful notes,take tests,and streamline study time.It is written with humor rather than a condescending tone, making it more enjoyable than the average study guide.This book can help any student get on track.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointing but worth a second look, 21 Nov. 2007
Bought this after reading the great reviews, but not my idea of a great book, but see the last paragraph below. I found the style not to my liking far too American. Not enough emphasis on persistence and failure and how to cope as an adult or mature student. I think this book is more for schoolkids but if it works for you then go ahead and read it, it could be the one for you. Not one of the best tools in my toolkit but I would lend it to a friend if I thought it would help them.

The book that works for me and the one I would particulary recommend on this subject is Make Exams Easy by Mike Evans.

After writing this review I took the opportunity to reread this book and would say that perhaps the style just put me off, as its a little like the "principles" in the mould of Stephen Covey, which comes across rather dogmatic, hence my feeling rather patronised. But really there is a lot of interesting as well as useful stuff here, particularly about active learning rather than just letting information wash over you and not assimilating it properly. Its certainly worth a second look!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for high school students, 11 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
I just finished a first reading of this book. Of course, I know I wouldn't benefit without putting the principles into practice, but the principles themselves are very good. Education is not fundamentally about grades, but about good learning that will be later useful, and this book drives home that point but insists on maximizing your grades in the process. I liked this book very much and look forward to putting its principles into practice. Adam Robinson has done a very good job with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-HAVE for any student., 13 Dec. 1996
By A Customer
This book contains many techniques that will help any student from eigth grade to graduate school. Skills absolutely necessary to every student, like how to really take notes, how to determine what the instructor wants in a paper, how to decipher what's useful in the text and how to anticipate what will be on the exams, and MORE! I wish I had this book back in High School; I wouldn't have had to work so hard! I'm in graduate school now, and it's uncanny how applying the techniques from this book has exponentially increased my ability to understand the material and even better, to demonstrate to the professor's satisfaction my comprehension of the material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice along the right lines, 7 Dec. 2011
I really like the fact that the author has "been there and done that", and there's a lot of good practical advice in this book. I love the fact that he's so keen on working efficiently, and recognises that not every piece of work you're asked to do is of equal importance - far from it (you need to be selective and to target your efforts). But I felt that the advice was slightly complicated in parts and it's quite a long book, at 288 pages - and they're big pages!

4.0 out of 5 stars A smart must read, 16 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
Robinson hits on a key essential point in the learning process: questions. He intelligently guides us to forming them and answering them the best we can.
I've read many books of this nature and I'd say this is definitely one of the best. In one word this book is EMPOWERING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, the best on this topic., 24 July 2014
I'd quote: "Nobody can teach you as well as you can teach yourself" Once you realise this, you'll realise your potential power. This book helps you to do so and guides you how to proceed.

Extremely well organized, though delivered as a personal conversation.

Just try and see it for yourself.

Warning: It does require your endeavor (perhaps much greater than your present one), but from now on you could be sure it'll be a fruitful effort.

Good luck.

What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time.