5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigal Father is an important book about fatherlessnes, 26 July 1998
This review is from: Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers (Hardcover)
Mark Bryan's Prodigal Father is an important book for several reasons. First, it presents the seldom heard personal truths of men who have become separated and alienated from their children following the loss of their relationship with their children's mother. This emotional hollowness and yearning, Bryan aptly call "the haunting."
Brian gives voice to his own experience, painfully describing his separation from his then teenage wife and his loss of contact with their infant son, Scott. We hear from other men struggling to bridge this gap, and we hear from the children who stand at the other side of the gulf. These poignant tales need to enter our national consciousness if we are ever to get a fuller understanding of the devastating impact fatherlessness has on all of those involved.
Prodigal Father does not just wag a finger at the problem. Mark Bryan has developed a program that helps men along the difficult path back into their children's lives. ! For it to work, the men must be willing to do an honest self-appraisal, and they need to find a way to make amends to their children's mother. As the literature in this field shows, without the mother's acquiescence, the chances of success are greatly diminished. These are no easy remedies for the problem of fatherlessness, but the way back is building such bridges one at a time. Mark Bryan, in his Prodigal Father, walks the talk. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest & hardest soul searching trip ever., 14 July 1999
This review is from: Prodigal Father (Paperback)
I recently heard Mark Bryan speak at the NACSDC @ the Univ. Notre Dame. I cried through his entire presentation. There are too many parallels to mention. I bought two copies of his book. One I read. One I gave to my daughter who is a single mom and in reunion (without this book) with her child's father. They now have the book, each has read some of it. They are still talking. My book will remain with me. I will be buying another copy so that I can write a letter to my childrens father. Maybe then they will find thier way back to each other. I never understood until I read about the haunting. Thank you Mark!

5.0 out of 5 stars reality and inspiring, 23 Jun 1999
This review is from: Prodigal Father (Paperback)
After reading this book I finnaly took the first steps to becoming a responsible father after 3 yrs of not seeing my son. This is a terrifying and not always easy thing to do and Mark Bryan has given me the courage and guidence to progress towards a meaningful relationship with my 17 yr old son. Only time will tell!!! And to all of you fathers out there, PLEASE GET A COPY OF THIS BOOK AND READ IT, NOT ONCE, BUT SEVERAL TIMES!!!!! it will change your life

5.0 out of 5 stars This has been the most important book I have read in 13 year, 8 Nov 1998
This review is from: Prodigal Father (Paperback)
This book has been the most difficult and important book I have read in 13 years..since my son was born. I am the mother of a son whose father walked out on both of us...I really don't know if he ever thinks about his son. This book makes me think he does and if he is experiencing the pain that the book describes absent dads as feeling...I really feel bad for him. He has missed out on all the joy, pain and love of raising his child.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope to apply its principles, 30 Aug 1999
This review is from: Prodigal Father (Paperback)
I first saw this book in the parenting section of the children's section of the library. The title intrigued me so I decided to skim through it. Besides his own testimony of reuniting with a son after 14 years and of helping others fathers to reunite, I realized this wasn't another book written by someone who wants you easily to do what they've never had to do.
I even skimmed through the section for mothers because I'm the single mother of a 3 year old. I didn't have my usual "Yeah, right" bitter reaction and actually felt like crying and calling my daughter's father right away to start the process.
Without the testimonials in this book, I would have accepted that her father being in her life was not only improbable, but impossible and would have lived my life accordingly. After just reading a few chapters, I really wanted to do all that I could to start a relationship between my daughter and her father. I really began to believe it could happen. After I get the book from the library, I hope to apply its principles. I'm glad all the other reviewers enjoyed it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, evocative and practical, 30 Jun 1997
This review is from: Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers (Hardcover)
So many sons and fathers are separated, many to remain so for a lifetime just because they don't know how to go about getting together. Mark Bryan's personal story and his direct and clear advice gives a road-map to fathers and sons. It is a map through the pain, the regret, the anger, and the destination the reader reaches is recovery of one of our most important relationships. Mark Bryan helped me to see my mistakes, my good decisions, and ultimately, my way through. There is no family that cannot benefit from this story, and this guidance, for even those lucky enough to have never lost contact with a father or son are affected by that sad reality somewhere in their family history. Good job, Mr Bryan! And thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 13 April 1999
This review is from: Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers (Hardcover)
This book speaks for many fathers you are not allowed to be in their childrens life. my own husband is going through this same thing. His pain is the same as Mr. Bryans in this book. Mark Bryan is the voice of many fathers who need to be heard. I pray the mothers of these children listen to their crys. The child is the one who suffers the most. It is time these former wifes understand this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigal Father: Forum Page?, 30 Nov 1997
This review is from: Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my husband who hasn't seen his 3 boys for 12 years. Following your guidelines, he has recently written a letter. He never could have done this without the help and especially encouragement of this book. Is there a forum page where others who have read this book share their stories?

Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers
Prodigal Father: Reuniting Fathers by Mark Bryan (Hardcover - Jun 1997)
Used & New from: £0.75