Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 1997
Our daughters are 6 and 10, and we have read from Russell's book for five years. Both girls seek the book out, and they enjoy listening to the stories as much as I enjoy reading them.
Having studied Roman mythology when I took Latin, I was a little worried about some of the content--let's face it, the gods and goddesses were sometimes violent, more often randy--and I wasn't sure how the girls would react to some of the goings-on. But Russell does a terrific job minimizing some of the less pleasant events without glossing over them.
And, of course, the stories and messages are truly timeless. And there's no better way that I've found to introduce children to the Odyssey, the Iliad, and other epics like them.
Our family gives Classic Myths a ringing endorsement for anyone with kids.
on 12 March 1999
Though I teach ancient history, I have kearned to include all aspects of the culture, including relevant literature. During Dr.Suess's birthday week, I read a classical myth a day. The students loved them! The reading of these myths sparked enthusiasm like I have never seen before. We explored the relevancy of these myths to today's standards. What was suppossed to take 10-15 minutes, often continued to the next class period. I have found a new and effective teaching tool.
on 27 February 2013
I use this book regularly to read to my classes of 11 - 14 year olds - they love it too so much so that some of the have bought the hard copy version!