5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH EVERY PENNY, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home (Hardcover)
I have resisted buying this book for ages because of the expense but, in a weak moment, I treated myself. I am a big fan of Martha Stewart's practical approach to just about anything. I wish that I hadn't waited so long. This is a very useful book. The sort of manual that you buy once and refer to over a period of years whenever you are stumped about how to deal with something. It is like having your granny on the bookshelf or a modern-day enquire within. I would highly recommend this book and think it is brilliant value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 May 2010
I totally love this book. In an age when we are deluged with interior decorating books, there are very few books which focus on the mechanics of what makes a house a home - rather than its external appearance. The book deals with everything related to managing a house and making it a comfortable, inviting, well-run place. It deals with almost any question you might have about your home, from fixing leaks to how to choose the bed linen. A mine of information and a great reference manual for all who yearn after the lost art of housekeeping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Bulky but Informative, 19 Jan 2008
Alia K L (London, England) - See all my reviews
I personally loved the book, I was expecting it to be a little different (as in smaller) but was in no way dissapointed. It's very bulky so you are getting value for money. I had to read it with a cushion on my lap :)

The photographs are in black and white (keep printing costs down I suppose) but it would have been nice to have colour shots in there.

The books content page reads like this:

Chapter 1: Introduction: a guide to how to use the book as well as a mini course on cleaning products
Chapter 2: Room by Room: listing all the possible rooms of the house and how to clean/manage them
Chapter 3: Throughout the House: advice on routine cleaning and periodic maintenance
Chapter 4: Comfort and Safety: with topics ranging from air quality and lighting to living with pets and pest control
Chapter 5: Moving: a guide to moving home or just moving things around
Chapter 6: Materials Guide: ranging from cast iron to gold to lace, how to deal and look after a range of A-Z materials
Chapter 7: Reference

This books is ideal for the man or woman wanting to add a touch of class to the way he/she organises their home. I would reccomend it if housekeeping is something you enjoy and of course have time for...

I didn't give it a 5 star because (a) its very heavy and not a book you can just pick up and read which might seem a silly reason not to give it a 5 stars but a book like this should be easily accessible - you can't just pick it up and have a read it needs more attention than that...

Otherwise excellent, go ahead and buy if you love your home and want to keep it in tip top condition...

4.0 out of 5 stars Its almost an Encyclopaedia, 5 Oct 2013
This is a huge book, luckily, I was guided by previous reviews.
I cannot think of anything that I need that is not in the book
t has massive information that should last a lifetime.

I wish the demonstrations were in colour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for your home, 25 Aug 2009
Mrs M. (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I wish I had had this book years ago. Concise and practical detail is given to each type of surface, fabric etc, enabling me treat each item correctly, saving time and money. I am currently renovating my kitchen and the advise and useful tips given for this procedure has been invaluable. Thank you Martha!

4.0 out of 5 stars Homekeeping Handbook, 29 Jan 2007
H. Kingsbury (Fareham, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This book has so many tips on how to clean and organise your home. I would call it a modern day Mrs Beeton. Something that I know I will and have already referred to a number of times. Not your classical Martha Stewart book

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 27 Feb 2014
Great book, full of lots of information in a easy to reference style , makes a great present for the new home maker or to refer to for the older home maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for housekeeping, 20 Jan 2013
I like reference books with pictures and although I would have liked colour pictures, the detail in the pictures is still very good despite the black and white photos. As I have just moved into a new house, it is providing useful information on how to set up my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 15 July 2012
Amazing book. Great quality print, and great tips. Haven't read it all, because frankly I think it's the kind of book you read from when you have a question, but so far I found it very informing.

It also has a great plastic cover on top that protects it. I have to admit the size makes it a bit difficult to hold while reading, but I guess it gives you a bit of a workout while reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough homekeeping book, 18 Feb 2014
The only reason why I gave this book 5 stars is because I don't believe Martha Stewart wrote any of this- apart from a few personal words before each chapter. This book is written by professionals within specific industries linked to homekeeping and is therefore very detailed and specific- to the point I felt a little bored. With soo much information- I finished the book without remembering much- I felt a little overwhelmed by the sheer facts and instructions.
As someone who (don't laugh) enjoys homekeeping books I would definitely recommend, this is a book I would use as a homekeeping reference/ encyclopedia. I would not buy if your after a quick read on how to improve ones homekeeping.