5.0 out of 5 stars About the beautiful cosmic reality behind the everyday.
Published on 7 Mar. 2000 by curry_john@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars It's good - but it was the other times also...!
Published on 3 May 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars About the beautiful cosmic reality behind the everyday., 7 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
At first glance this book appears to be off the wall, maybe psychotic maybe a hippy trip...designed to lead people out of the workplace and into the poppyfields. I read it while sufferring clinical depression. I thought first part, Ram Dass' biography was unbelievable and the middle part describing the inner journey to God/enlightenment was over the top nonsense. But I liked the cookbook...the very clear "how to" suggestions for spiritual life. Since then I've got out of the asylum (!) and back to work, always gaining strength from mantra meditation...even some joy from it. The crazier sections of this book...I now see them as descriptions of very real spiritual processes which are I hope nascent in my own spirit. What I got from it is that spiritual growth is not a flight of imagination..its a process of grounding oneself in the real...becoming more aware of the here and now until you are ready and open enough to feel the eternity and joy of the spirit in the present moment. The book is very compassionate and I think truthful. I reckon it would be helpful for anyone with an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Embrace the 10,000 Beautiful Visions", 1 April 2012
Michael Cunningham (Melbourne, Victoria (AUS)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
Be Here Now is a classic text on Hindu spirituality that bloomed open like a lotus flower in the wake of the hippie movement. The seed for this book was planted in the mind of Harvard psychiatrist turned Indian mystic, Ram Dass, and was written - with the blessings of his guru - for a Western audience who were for the most part materially rich but spiritually poor. Be Here Now offered it's readers and followers a drug free alternative for attaining higher states of consciousness, while its simple message to live in the present encouraged the pursuit and cultivation of inner peace.

The book is split into four sections; it begins with a fascinating personal account of Richard Alpert's transformation from Harvard psychology professor, to LSD spokesperson, and finally to holy man Ram Dass. The second part of the book contains a glimpse at the wisdom Ram Dass accumulated on his journey in India, and the text is accompanied by beautifully hand drawn illustrations, all of which are printed on a visually pleasing brown paper. This section is what the book is known for, and not surprisingly either considering it's strange presentation and mind melting insights. If you haven't seen it yet, then I can safely assume you haven't witnessed anything like it before; even if you hate the book, it will still stay with you. The core book, titled 'From Bindu to Ojas', reads like a secret manuscript that cryptically speaks of a truth found from a far away land. It's pages encourage those on the spiritual journey to abandon their socially constructed ego and to instead dwell in the warmth of the soul, a process only achieved through the centuries old method of yoga and transcendental meditation. Even though the vehicle Ram Dass prefers is Hinduism, he writes of all religions equally and uses Christ, Allah, and the Buddha interchangeably to make his message more potent. This message, in a nut shell, is to feel unbending love and compassion for others, develop constant awareness, and to be present at all times.

Since it's original publication in 1971 the book has sold more than 2 million copies and has had an enormous influence on the Western world's awareness of Eastern philosophy and spirituality. I can't speak for everybody, but my copy of Be Here Now is one of my most treasured possessions; for me, it blew open the door to spiritual discovery like a fierce wind, and awoke in me a desire to walk through it. The third section, titled 'Cookbook For A Sacred Life', goes into great detail in explaining the necessary ingredients and various methods for preparing your mind, body and soul for a spiritual transformation. This section asserts that you don't need to go to India in order to taste spiritual fruits, as the fruit tree grows inside you. Finally, the book ends with a section of recommended books for further reading, which are humorously separated in sections with titles such as 'Books to Hang Out With' and 'Books It's Useful to Have Met'. To this day, Be Here Now's teachings shine like the sun and penetrate even the darkest spaces. I recommend it with all my heart to those with an open mind, and a thirst for self discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Now, 8 Nov. 1998
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
A friend lent me this book years ago. It sat on my shelf for years (I was intrigued enough not to give it back, but not enough to actually read it). Then one day, seeking answers, I picked it up. The first section is interesting, the third section useful, but the middle section changed my life. Midway through it I stepped into the void quite unexpectedly (so surprising it left me in tears) and my life has never been the same. It's terminology may be dated, yes, but it's message is timeless. Look past your prejudices. Read it with an open mind, and you, too, may be reborn

5.0 out of 5 stars Baba Ram Dass gives us his wisdom, wonder & humor, 14 Jun. 1997
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
Why would anyone run away from a fast-track, high-status career to study meditation on a mountaintop? Read this book and you might be tempted to book your own passage to India. With astonishing honesty and humor, Baba Ram Dass describes his bumpy journey from anxious academic to psychedellic evangelist to spiritual teacher --- and shows us ways to find our own paths. I've travelled around the world, moved from east to west and back again, and held on to this gentle guide for 16 years. A lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The craziest guidebook to life and spirit ever., 29 July 1997
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
My spiritual father, who was then my father-in-law, introduced me to Be Here Now. I thought he was crazy and the book even crazier.The next time we visited I picked up the book and took a closer look, ahhh, maybe it wasn't so crazy after all, but not for me. Each time I visited I was drawn to read a bit more of this "far out" book. Over a year later I finished reading it. And then I read it all over again. How wise my father-in-law had been to set me on this path. I am eternally grateful to him and to Ram Dass for their love and guidance. Ram Dass' words ring true. Any one looking for answers would do well to start with Be Here Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guiding light for an entire generation.., 12 Dec. 2014
Hanuman Dass (London, England) - See all my reviews
Be Here Now was first published in the 1960′s and spoke to hearts of a whole generation. It is difficult to quantify its impact on the modern American mind. The book was one of the very few books Steve Jobs kept it on his Ipad.

Ram Dass is my spiritual teacher and this book more than any other convinced me that Hindu Philosophy has a profound and important role to play in the world.

The book is divided into four unique sections, the first being his personal transformation from Harvard Professor Dr.Richard Alpert to Baba Ram Dass. It is a fascinating story and perhaps a spiritual transformation that we will all make eventually.

The second section is full of free form imagery inspiring spiritual thoughts. Here is one of them:

'Here we all are' from section two.of Be here now

The third section is a manual for a spiritual life. It describes how you can live as a Yogi in the world. Some of the difficulties you will encounter, what kind of diet you should have, how to make your home into a mandir, performing puja, and so much more. The way Ram Dass brings ancient Hindu practises into modern understanding is unparalleled.

Here are some nice quotes from the book:

“It’s only when caterpillarness is done that one becomes a butterfly. That again is part of this paradox. You cannot rip away caterpillarness. The whole trip occurs in an unfolding process of which we have no control.”

“Just because you are seeing divine light, experiencing waves of bliss, or conversing with Gods and Goddesses is no reason to not know your zip code.”

“If you think you’re free, there’s no escape possible.”

The fourth section, titled Painted Cakes is about books. It is divided into three parts: Books to hang out with, books to visit now and again, and books nice to have met. I have nearly purchased every book that he recommends in this section, there are some rare ones on the list that you may find difficult to source.

I initially wanted to divide my book reviews category into similar sections and perhaps this is something I may do in the future, This book definitely goes into the section ‘Books to hang out with’. Keep it close to you, read it often, and Be Here Now.

राम राम

Hanuman Dass

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most profound spiritual books I have read., 19 Jan. 2014
Hanuman Dass (London, England) - See all my reviews
Be Here Now by Baba Ram Dass

The second section is full of free form imagery inspiring spiritual thoughts, if you search Be here now you can get an Idea of the images.

Here are some nice quotes from the book:

"It's only when caterpillarness is done that one becomes a butterfly. That again is part of this paradox. You cannot rip away caterpillarness. The whole trip occurs in an unfolding process of which we have no control."

"Just because you are seeing divine light, experiencing waves of bliss, or conversing with Gods and Goddesses is no reason to not know your zip code."

"If you think you're free, there's no escape possible."

Keep it close to you, read it often, and Be Here Now.

राम राम

Hanuman Dass
[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars It's good - but it was the other times also...!, 3 May 2000
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
As an admirer of Ram Dass I was disappointed to open my mail order copy of "Be Here Now" to discover I had heard most of it before - on his "Experiments In Truth" tape collection - and I had read much of his Indian exploits in "The Only Dance There Is". This is not the fault of Amazon, who only retail the book, and it is probably not the fault of Ram Dass, who only speaks the words and leaves it to his acolytes to transcribe, edit and market. But the latter have a responsibility to uphold his good name and I feel short-changed by paying three times for the same knowledge. Yes, the final section of "Be Here Now" is worth having, but the large dollop of hippie-type drawings and slogans in between are a bit of an embarrassment to all concerned. If you don't have any Ram Dass tapes or books, this is a good introduction to his fine work, but such publications should carry a warning that they have already been pubished in other formats. After all, very few of us are psychics...! Melanie

5.0 out of 5 stars The only way to be...., 5 Oct. 2008
Adrian Sales - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
When I first came across this book in the 1970's it became one of my favourite books of the period.The flip page middle section just seemed to cut to the chase and sum "everything" up.Sure it is of its time,but recently taking the book off the shelf to have a browse once again, I was struck by just how truthful and eternal it's message is.Infact over the years I have periodically dipped into it for a re-tune!The title says it all really.A classic!

Be Here Now
Be Here Now by R. Dass (Paperback - 1 Jun. 1971)
Used & New from: £5.94