5.0 out of 5 stars A truly classic book about a man and a towel
let me say two words… BUY IT! Okay, hopefully you’re still with me so I’ll continue. The Hitchhiker’s Guide consists of five stories plus a very short story which isn’t really worth the paper it’s written on (no loss however, there’s another 800 pages in the book to be entertained by).
The theme throughout the stories is the...
Published on 10 Dec. 2003 by Darren Simons

I wanted this discontinued copy because it looked nice and its quality seemed decent if not very good.
Published on 21 Jan. 2013 by D. Kastaniotis

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Engaging, But Overrated, 27 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
It's rather difficult to review this book without ruining it for the rest of you, and I certainly don't want to do that, so forgive me if I'm vague on some points...
Anyway, Book #1 of the series is GREAT but ONLY once you get used to it. Adams has an odd style of writing -- but once you realize that this is meant to be humorous, not philosophical, it is absolutely hilarious. Book #2 is also wonderful, perhaps even better than the original.
However, it's a bit downhill from there. Books #3 and #4, while still OK, just aren't that great. Don't get me wrong, I normally would have been happy to read anything of that caliber - but coming after the first two books, they were rather 'empty'.
Finally, book #5, Mostly Harmless. Although this one was (in my opinion) much funnier than #3 and #4, it was also as at least as confusing as anything my economics textbook has to offer. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what happenned at the end. Still, it was pretty good (as long as you don't mind re-reading passages every now and again).
So, as a whole, I would recommend "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide" to any fan of humor or science fiction. However, please realize that, though the novels are hilarious, they don't have much of a plot and they aren't exaclty thought-provoking. It's still a good read -- just not as great as its reputation.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 31 Dec. 2007
This review is from: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide: Five Complete Novels and One Story (Literary Classics - Gramercy Books) (Leather Bound)
Seriously, never has british humor ever gone to such heights as this. The storyline is incredibly intriguing, with all sorts of dry humor, stupidly funny overtones, and a serious underlying message, though I've yet to see anyone (myself included) figure out what that message is. If you like british humor, buy it. If not, buy it. If you want a fancy looking book to put on the mantle, buy it. All in all, this book must be purchased by everyone, and even the illiterate should be graced by the story contained within. Buy the book, or Vogons will kill you with bad Poetry!!! I'd also recommend reading Tino Georgiou's bestselling novel--The Fates--if you missed it

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you mean you haven't read it yet ?!?, 9 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This trilogy in five parts is a must read. Now updated with the addition of the fifth book "Mostly Harmless" where DNA ties up every loose end so that there would not be any possible way to be made to write another sequel. (Well he certainly got his revenge with his "last book" titled "The Salmon of Doubt" which includes the third installment of the Dirk Gently series. This is a book that he never managed to finish and obviously leaves tremendous loose ends)The Hitchhikers Series of books are undoubtably some of the finest and bizarrest stories of our time.Chas

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Lost in the Translation..., 6 May 2003
Nick Watson (Huntingdon, Cambs England) - See all my reviews
If you're a Hitchhiker fan but you haven't read the books, then you must. The various versions (TV, radio, books etc.) are far from being carbon-copies of each other, in fact the plots are at times totally inconsistent. Which is no bad thing, honest.
The only problem with this collection is that it's an American edition, containing altered spellings and even different words in some instances from DNA's original. So if you're a purist looking for something definitive, this may not be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Hitchhikers possible, 12 Sept. 2008
When this book arrived I was shocked at its size and weight.
This reminds me of a heavy built Bible.
What I mean is, the quality is fantastic, excellent medium sized print, very sturdy bindings and the gold guilt paper makes it feel like a tome.

I have never read anything from this series or similar and after reading The Dark Tower I thought this would be a lighter comical read.
Adams' ability to entrance you in well thought out conversations and settings is astounding.

Fantastic read and amazing quality book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, brilliant but a very sad end to it all..., 6 Nov. 2002
I really enjoyed this book and think that if you want to read the hitchhiker series why not buy them all in this one edition, one thing i must say though, did anyone see the point of the bonus story "Yound Zaphod plays it safe"? What was that all about? But dont get me wrond this is a book you have to read in your life time otherwise you will have been deprived of one of the greatest book of all time.
It is hilarious, heart warming and i must say very very strange. If you are a Terry Pratchett fan then you should read this straight away as it is written in a similar manner to his books which acquires a certain taste.
The best book out of them all i think is of course the first, i think the fouth was the weakest as the storyline had almost nothing to do with the other books but it was good all the same with a generous dose of humour and i think that the last book was the saddest as it was the end of it all. No more books to follow sadly as the writer sadly died a couple of years ago and by the end of the book you have a distinct feeling that your life will never be the same again. I felt sad that it was all over when i finished after getting to know the charachters so well but then thats what makes a good book.
This may not appeal to everybody as it needs a certain sense of humour but i think what ever books you are in to you cant help loving this book, it has something for everyone. This book is easily worth many more than just 5 stars, it is a real gem, its not often you find a book of such brilliance, if you dont read it you will miss out on all the fun and humour and never find out the importance of the number 42!

3.0 out of 5 stars Get only if you can find it in a decent price. Seriously bad quality, 21 Jan. 2013
Unfortunately when you open the book you are in for a dissapointment. The paper is very thin and the text while big and clear seems to not be very nicely alligned on the pages. The spaces around it seem small and it gives you a weird feeling that you are holding something really cheap that was not created with care. Especially for the price...
That feeling reminded me some cheap romance books that my mother used to read about 20 years ago (Arlekin and Bell series here in Greece).
Anyway, I do not regret buying it since it seems that it is becoming a rarity, but I will probably get the newer edition from B&N as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be read in public..., 20 May 2004
... for this is an extremely funny book that you won't be able to put down, once started. Not only is Douglas Adams making fun of everything you can imagine (starting at society, English poets, music, prejudices, basically everything!) but he is also showing us our universe in a totally crazy way with characters both lovable and nuts.
A little advice for those of you who plan to purchase this book now (which is good!!!) - go ahead and buy the second and third part as well, so you won't have to wait for them after you finished this one. And while you're reading part two... just buy number four and five.
Alright. Now have fun reading this and never forget your towel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boldly Expand Your Mind Where It has Never Gone....., 6 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Without hyperbole, this is simply the most fun I have ever experienced reading. Douglas Adams took me on a journey of redefining how I view our world, our universe, and our place within the totality of it all. In taking me on this wondrous trip, he caused me to laugh out loud at the absurdity of human comprehension, and our way of placing ourselves as the definitive pinnacle of evolution. I mean, the part where the mice are revealed as the masterminds of human evolution ("By simply turning one way or another in a maze, we changed your theories of behaviour) was not only hilarious, but shocking when you consider that it is not that far off from the truth. Or the dolphins trying to warn us of the impending doom to the Earth, and the humans shrugging off their antics as "tricks", when in reality they are far more intelligent than humanity. Here is a prime example of us assuming we are the most evolved species, and Adams uses this bit to poke some fun at our egotism and at our assumptions. Adams' displays an amazing wit and extraordinary perception in his writing, and blends social commentary with laugh out loud silliness. This is a rare gift, and he does it seemingly without effort. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and I thank Douglas Adams for the pleasure he provided in reading it. If only more books were like this one, I believe I would never stop reading! This book changed the way I view life and my place in it, in a positive way, and this is the highest compliment I can give to the author. WELL DONE, Mr. ADAMS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freeeeeeeeeeoooooowwwww!!!!!!, 14 Feb. 2001
"6*9=42?"
"I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe."
This is the tale of what to do in the off chance that the Earth will be demolished ostensibly to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. Well, it isn't. But what does it matter? It's about what Arthur Dent does when the Earth is demolished ostensibly to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.
It's also a story about life, the universe and everything, the origin of mattresses, Marvin the Paranoid Android, and some guy with two heads, three arms, and a fashion sense that would force anyone to smash their brains out with a rather large, gold brick - or try a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster, or even enter the Total-Perspective Vortex, if you spend too much time with him.
Find out why we are so upset because of small, green pieces of paper - which is odd, because, on the whole, it isn't these small, green pieces of paper that are unhappy. Maybe, what the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is. Maybe, oddly enough, you may decide to listen to a Vogon's poetry. Perhaps even that of an Azgoth of Kria - but never of Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge, Essex. Perhaps you'll die and go to Southend. Who knows. After all, "in an infinite universe, anything, even the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is possible."

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›