Published on 11 Feb 2010 by Roroblu's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars I Lurve Lora - but only 3 and a half stars this time!
Published on 17 Dec 2010 by Imani

5.0 out of 5 stars Great return to form for Lora Leigh - the hottest (action!!) yet..., 11 Feb 2010
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nauti Deceptions (Paperback)
I've just finished reading and reviewing Lora Leigh's latest in the Bound Hearts series, and for the first time posted a less than stellar review and I was starting to wonder if she was just turning into a book-churning machine, putting shoddy works out to satisfy a publisher's demands...then I read this book. All I can say is thank you Lora Leigh for writing what is the hottest (in terms of bed action!) Nauti books, and for opening up the series to more novels/novellas.

Caitlin Walker, known as Rogue,owns and runs a bar in Pulaski County, home to the Nauti boys, though she is a trained teacher. A few years ago, some fabricated incriminating ménage-sex pictures of her surfaced and she was forced to leave teaching, though she refused to leave the town, as evil incestuous Nadine and Dayle Mackay (see prev books, they are now dead) had planned. She's spent five years trying to seduce the sheriff, Zeke Mayes, to no avail, as unknown to her, Zeke has a hidden agenda and can't and won't allow himself to go public with any woman in order to protect them. He sleeps with women, though, making it clear there will never be a relationship, and though he likes Rogue and has never believed the rumours about her and the pictures, he has never allowed himself to get close to her. His mother died due to an unsavoury part of his childhood and his wife was killed due to an investigation he was involved in in LA, which is why he returned to Kentucky, and he has a teenage son to protect.

The corrupt organisation that has been the core of all the Nauti books so far is still present, and when Rogue's twin male cousins are found dead, Zeke knows there is more than meets the eye, and his investigation proves that their `suicide' is in fact a killing linked to a young girl they were about to share, and when another of Rogue's relations is killed, Zeke has to convince her she needs protection, and he'll do anything to get her to agree. Even though he loves her, he doesn't let her know, though they start a relationship...which leads to heartache when Rogue thinks she realises why he finally agreed to be with her.

The story never waned, and I was pleased to see the organisation come to its end, but again, IMO, I do think that Zeke and Rogue could have and should have gotten together a lot quicker. Whilst he delay meant quite a few snatches of hot lovin' between the two (including Zeke's teenage son, Shayne, catching them in the act!), it was a bit typical of Lora Leigh's `will-they-won't-they' stuff and we were about two thirds of the way through the book before the leads actually slept together, but when they did, boy was it hot. In most of the Nauti books, there's some `all mouth, no trousers' elements of bed gymnastics, but in this one they went for it!!

Shayne appears to take after his father in terms of his `needs', but he is only 19 (the ages are a bit askew in this book, as if either Lora Leigh or her editors can't count?), so whilst I think he will get his own Nauti tale, it won't be til he's a bit older. However, we do also get introduced to Calvin Walker Jnr, Rogue's big brother, known as John, who I am sure will at least get a novella, and it did have me wondering if this might be rather soon, as shortly the author has an antho coming out (with Jaci Burton, Nauti & Wild), which is being advertised as being a brand new Nauti novella.

It was good to see the original Nauti boys too, and to learn in the epilogue that each of them has had a daughter, and to see people mentioning that in about 20 years or so, the town will be talking about the Nauti Girls and the fun their fathers will have trying to keep them away from guys. Bring it on!

Editing as usual is a bit touch-and-go, which made me laugh a few times, especially at the end, where Zeke's jeans, underwear and `shocks' fell to the floor just before he jumped Rogue! Ooh er! Anyway, a really good book, and long may the Nauti series continue, with the girls' tales being highly anticipated.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Lurve Lora - but only 3 and a half stars this time!, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Nauti Deceptions (Paperback)
I've now read all the Nauti books. I've read the Seals series, the August series and some of her short stories. I usually love her stuff. It's raucous and raunchy. The men are totally alpha and the girls are feisty (but give in in the end). The sex is fantastic! But Lora, PLEASE stop telling us who people are related to ALL THE TIME during the book. AND using first and surnames ALL THE TIME! As if we won't know - by the FIFTEENTH REFERENCE in one chapter. I exaggerate but good lord, woman, we're not stupid! It's so irritating! Christine Feehan did it in her Carpathian 'Dark' series and that was irritating. Even if you haven't read the previous Nauti offerings, which, don't get me wrong, are great, for me, this plot was sidelined by the constant reference to the relationships between the characters, which only needed mentioning two or three times AT THE MOST per character (just to embed it in our memories) at the most! We would have gotten it!

Let me illustrate: the plot is set in a close-knit community in Somerset, Kentucky. Everyone knows everyone else. The lead characters involved are the 'Nauti Boys' - hence the series, cousins Rowdy, Dawg and Natches Mackay and they've each had their own story. There's Alex Jansen and his sister, Crista. The boy's evil aunt Nadine Grace Mackay and her brother Dale Mackay. In this book, which centres on the simmering relationship between 'Sheriff Zeke Mayes and Caitlin 'Rogue' Walker Lora would write a dialogue between two people within the community, saying things like: "Crista Jansen Mackay's brother, Alex Jansen", and: "Nadine Grace Mackay's brother, Dale Mackay", when she's already mentioned it 4 or 5 times previously. WHY??? Who, within a close-knit community would talk like that? There's only so much belief the read can suspend. There was even a scene where a character named Cally Walker was murdered (it's not a spoiler, so don't worry) and she was constantly referred to as the 'grandmother Cally Walker', as if no one would know who she was if she was just called 'Cally'. The thing is, although this is a work of fiction, we should be immersed in the plot. We should expect a only a brief reminder of who's who but this is more than ridiculous. I hate to say this, but I honestly feel that I don't want to buy any more of her books if this is the standard I'm to expect. Sorry Lora, but I'm disappointed. You can do so much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved zete and rogue story. what can i say you just have to read them all., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nauti Deceptions (Kindle Edition)
you need to read all the nauti boys to get the story but that is no hardship you get hook from book one enjoy i did

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho Hot, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nauti Deceptions (Paperback)
Good read, liked the story and the characters, will be reading the next book in the series. Would recommend this book.

Nauti Deceptions (Nauti Novel)
Nauti Deceptions (Nauti Novel) by Lora Leigh (Mass Market Paperback - 19 April 2012)