5.0 out of 5 stars A great story
Published on 8 Jun 2004 by Kurt A. Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars I Surrendered!
Published on 31 Aug 2007 by Bobbewig

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 8 Jun 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retreat, Hell! (Corps) (Hardcover)
This book is an epic, in the grand style, set during the Korean War of 1950-53. Following the Inchon landings, the North Korean Army is on the run. But, even as they follow, the leadership of the American army is locked in internecine war of its own, even as General MacArthur plunges ahead taking advice only from those who tell him what he wants to hear. But, this is not just a story of generals. This is also the story of a downed Marine fighter pilot who begins to learn humility, and an intelligence team whose hard-earned information is not wanted.
OK, I must admit that this is the first W.E.B. Griffin book that I have read, so I cannot compare it to any others. But, what I read impressed the heck out of me. This is a great story, less about wars than about the men who fight them; their loves and hates, their sense of duty and their overweening pride. I really enjoyed this book, and highly recommend it to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the Corps series, 20 May 2004
Roz Wyatt-Millington (West Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retreat, Hell! (Corps) (Hardcover)
I have to admit to being a Griffin enthusiast - I have read ll his books, and enjoyed most of them. This book picks up right where Book 9 left off - and follows the activities of McCoy in Korea - along with Pickering senior back in Tokyo. There are plenty of twists (as ever) in the tale but on the whole I really enjoyed it. He resolves some questions from Book 9, but then opens others so I just hope he plans to write more books in the series.
When I first read this book I could not put it down till I finished it - I got drawn into the book, and in some ways it is better than some of his other recent books. There are less inconsistencies than in Special Operations (in Brotherhood of War series) for instance. I would however say that you do need to read some of the earlier books in the series - particularly Book 9 before reading this one. I would recommend the entire series to anyone interested in WWII/Korean War as it gives a look at the wars from various angles with the USMC, mainly intelligence based, but also some from fighter pilots. I have to admit Books 9 & 10 are more focussed than some of the others - as we are basically concerned with Ken McCoy who has been the protanganist of the series from the beginning. However given where Book 8 was left hanging part way through WWII (late 1943 from memory), I would still love to know what happened to some of the other people we meet during the series - Weston, Galloway, Stecker (Jack & Richard) etc. They do not appear in the Korean books - and I would really like to know what has happened to them.
All in all a good read - but do at least read Book 9 (Under Fire) first otherwise this book will not make much sense at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... friend who could not get it elsewhere and she loved, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Retreat, Hell! (Corps) (Mass Market Paperback)
Purchased for a friend who could not get it elsewhere and she loved it

4.0 out of 5 stars Well placed in the series, 14 Mar 2010
D. ONeil "David O'Neil." (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retreat, Hell! (Corps) (Mass Market Paperback)
In WEB Griffins Corps series this book fits well in the US version of of Military History. Its a rousing flag waving tale of the Korean War. It does not even attempt to include the other allied forces involved, except in ancilliary roles. His semi documentary style gives authenticity to the story especially in the references to historic figures. The charactors central to the story are well written and once started it is difficult to put down.I have read every book written by this author covering the entire range of his books, I am currently reading his latest. I recognise that as a Brit I do sometimes resent the omission of the allies at times but I do find reading the books addictive, and I eagerly follow the careers of Maj. Lowell and his friends

2.0 out of 5 stars I Surrendered!, 31 Aug 2007
Bobbewig (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Retreat, Hell! (Corps) (Hardcover)
Having struggled through about half of Retreat, Hell, I surrendered to the boring plot, weak character development and lack of action and gave up reading it. The jacket cover made me feel that I was going to be in for a real treat. However, I was misled and can sum my feelings up about this book in one acronym...NATO... no action, talk only. Rather than providing a good mix of action and military history, Retreat, Hell is so filled with minutiae that it overwhelms any of the very few and far between parts that are (at best) moderately exciting. Do yourself a favor and sjip this book.

Retreat, Hell! (Corps)
Retreat, Hell! (Corps) by W. E. B. Griffin (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Jan 2005)
5.35