5.0 out of 5 stars A love story that transcends time. A love story for Eternity
Published on 20 Nov 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars This was better than average, more like a 7 out of 10 stars
I enjoyed Ms. Shayne's book, and as a light, quick read, its great. I found myself reading through this story very fast (maybe too fast?) and was disappointed when the end came so quickly. The basis of the story is great and I will deligently be waiting for the sequel so I can continue reading this series.
The overall concept of this series is fascinating. It is...
Published on 13 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars This was better than average, more like a 7 out of 10 stars, 13 April 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
The overall concept of this series is fascinating. It is interesting to view the witch hunts both in Salem and England in a different light. How they could have been started by a twisted soul looking for eternity. Raven and Duncan's quest and this different slant on witches is fun to read.
On the more critical side of the book...I found some of Ms. Shayne's writing to be too "new age" for my tastes. I also found the plot itself to be a bit too predictable. I liked the story, but there were very few surprises. Modern Duncan was a bit on the wishy-washy side, and after his heroic feats in his earlier life, I was disappointed in his modern character. A nice book to cuddle up with on a cold winter night, but not one of my all time favorite books (probably not even in the top 100).

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story that transcends time. A love story for Eternity, 20 Nov 1998
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
Raven, hung for witchcraft, is immortal. There is only one way to end her life. Her heart has to be cut out. Two men are after Raven's heart, a "Dark Immortal" who needs it to survive and become stronger, and Duncan, who has loved her since he first laid eyes on her. This is a powerful, magickal love story. A must read for Maggie Shayne fans, and will make fans of those who have not read this wonderful author before. This book had me "spellbound" from beginning to end. Maggie has done it again! This book rates 10 stars!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Witches, Great Romance, 19 May 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
I love books about witches, when they're well-done, and not surprisingly, Maggie Shayne's ETERNITY is just that. She did an excellent job of creating a kind of witch that can be seen as existing alongside modern-day Wiccans. This way, the special magic of her True Witches seems even more believable. I also appreciated how seriously the "reincarnation" element of her romance was handled -- occasionally, romantic authors seem to feel that as long as the heroine gets a reincarnated version of the hero, it's the same difference. Ms. Shayne put a lot more thought than that into making the continuation of the love story believable and therefore fulfilling. I'm looking forward to her next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 6. It is that great, 23 Oct 1998
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
In 1694 England, Matilda accuses her sister-in-law Lily and her niece Raven of using witchcraft to bring the plague down on the town. She specifically states that Lily murdered her own spouse (who was Matilda's brother) and Matilda's son. Lily denies the charges, but she and Raven are found guilty without a trial. At the hanging, Duncan Wallace objects, but both women are killed anyway.

However, due to a heroic deed in a previous life, Raven has become basically immortal. She survives and heads to her aunt's home in Sanctuary, Massachusetts. Duncan sees her and feels compelled to follow her. In the colonies, Raven uses her knowledge of herbs and good witchcraft to help her aunt recover from an illness. However, her aunt's miraculous recovery leaves many of the townsfolk wary about Raven. As she comes under suspicion, Duncan still seeks the woman who has stolen his soul. Will they ever find a "lifetime" of happiness together or is this relationship doomed to fail?

Marvelous Maggie Shayne is already acknowledged by most readers as one of the all time great romance writers. Her latest tale, ETERNITY, is her best novel to date and will be more than a keeper - it will be received as a classic. The story line is crisp and authentic, bringing a dangerous era to life as few short of the CRUCIBLE have been able to do. However, what makes Ms. Shayne's book one for the ages is the genuine feel of witchcraft through her brilliantly developed character, who leaves no doubt that the magic of witchcraft defying physics has to exist.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enchanting!, 10 Aug 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
I was browsing throught the book store looking for Brides of the Night by Maggie Shayne when I happened upon Eternity. I am so glad I did! Since they didn't have the book I wanted, I chose Eternity because I knew it would be great. Great was an understatement. I felt so drawn to the characters. Arianna reminded me of tv character Zena. Very head strong and fearless. I wanted to shake Duncan and make him remember. Raven was just glorious. They touched me so much that I was up reading the book all night. Finished it before I could put it down. Hardly any books have the effect on me. I have pre-ordered Infinity and cannot wait to get it. Thank you Maggie! You have touched my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of magic and romance for a long winter night, perfect, 27 Nov 1998
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
Eternity by Maggie Shayne is a book to read slow, you'll want to savor every detail and enjoy the marvelous characters, but for the most part you'll want to read slow to become part of the fantasy. This book reaches out with its magic and romance, once you start reading be prepared to read the entire book, it holds you entranced in the story until the last word, then you still want more. Maggie Shayne's story of immortality, magick, and whitchcraft will capture not only your heart but it will start you thinking about just how wonderful life is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Mar 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
I love discovering new authors and Maggie Shayne is quite a find. Eternity was the first book I read of hers and I totally loved it. I couldn't put it down! The love story between Raven and Duncan was truly unconditional. I can't wait for the sequel about Ariannna and Nic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous realism from a belief standpoint, 24 July 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. Shayne has a wonderful way of bringing her characters to clear, vivid life. I've read everything she's ever put out starting with the Wings in the Night Duo in Silhouette Shadows. Her writing just keeps improving.
In this latest book, Ms. Shayne has written a great romance story surrounded by themes that many people have never been exposed to. Her deft touch in describing the rituals of the Craft showed the basic themes concisely and without over dramatizing them. The Witch as a protaganist has been done before, but rarely with the delicate touch of such a master.
I can't wait for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time ever!, 11 Aug 1999
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
When I go to the bookstore I have a list of books I want to read, historical-romance is my favorite subject. When I saw Eternity I was fascinated from the moment I saw the pale amethyst glow of the cover, with an exquisite woman sitting on a half moon. I am so glad that I put away my list, and bought Eternity instead.
I simply could not put this book down! I became absorbed in the story right from the first paragraph, and simply loved the main characters, Raven and Duncan. The dedication to some of the people who died being accused of witchcraft was fitting, and I liked that touch of realism. I thought it got a bit too bizarre, with immortality being possible for the "dark" witches by cutting out the hearts of "light" witches, but it is fantasy after all.
I would love to see this become a movie, only if it was well done! Thanks very much Maggie for the enjoyment of Eternity. I am looking forward to reading more your books!

5.0 out of 5 stars eternity is for keeps!!!!, 30 April 2003
This review is from: Eternity (Immortal Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
i realy liked the book. in fact, i like it so much that i finish reading it in one day. the characters are so belivable and alive. the ending gave me great satisfaction and made me hunger for the sequel 'infinity'. its a book every that i will keep forever!!! :)

Eternity (Immortal Witches)
Eternity (Immortal Witches) by Maggie Shayne (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1998)
4.75