4.0 out of 5 stars Different but gripping
Published on 28 Jan 2007 by Wendy Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars A Woman I sure don't want in my life!
This is the second Mallory book and if I thought she was a cold hearted witch in her first book, I lack words to describe her in this one. Completely lacking in compassion, she bulldozes her way through an investigation of a woman's murder without regard to how she's messing up their lives. This complete lack of feeling extends to animals including the murder victim's...
Published on 9 Oct 2003 by Neal Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but gripping, 28 Jan 2007
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewer who finds Mallory, the "Heroine", one cool character. However, this is the "quirk" which O'Connell has chosen to define her sleuth. Haven't all sleuths got one? Although Mallory is cold, I found that there were some endearing traits, and I found her warming to the cat. I like the way she lets nothing get in her way, and the book does explain her background, which I have wondered about through several novels. I suppose if I had read them in sequence, I would have found this out quite early on! What of the story and the plot itself. I found the book to be gripping and the storyline moved at a good pace. I did not in any way guess the ending, and was stunned, to be truthfull. It is well written, and I like the way all the other characters respond to Mallory. I will certainly be reading more of O'Connellls books, and would like to think others would read and enjoy them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallory and Malice go hand in hand., 3 Nov 1997
By A Customer
This book has been branded as one of my favorite books of all times. Mallory is an original to say the least. I liked this second book more than the first of the series. Mallory is such an interesting character and so is her sometimes partner Charles. The plot of this book is unique though not original. The way she carries out her investigation (how she uses modern technology to haunt her suspects) is Mallory and malice.
There were some interesting twists to this story; Justin, the part of her past that is revealed to Charles and what he would do for Mallorys' sake. Mallory has a heart of stone but I hope it thaws a little where Charles is concerned.

This book has a touch of humor along with the murder and mayhem. I hope they keep on coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting, compelling, thoroughly satisfying, 28 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I've read all of O'Connell's Mallory books. While they're a rock-solid series, any one of them can stand alone. This one doesn't fail to grab the reader by the throat and grip you until the last page. Charles really shines in this book, and Carol O'Connell has brought back the rest of her ensemble cast to spar with Mallory as she proves her devious, heinous brilliance yet again. The killer is approprately vicious and nearly a match for the fearsome cop. I fear, though, that Carol O'Connell's books are just too bright and she's going to get burned out before my craving for more Mallory is satisfied. Ms. O'Connell, if you, unlike Mallory, have a compassionate heart, then heed this: Knuckle down, unplug the phone, and write, write, write. I live in fear that Stone Angel was the end of the line in Mallory's journey of self-discovery. Say it ain't so. If you haven't read this book, turn off the computer and RUN TO THE NEAREST BOOKSTORE!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Man who lied to Women, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
Again with Carol she has ensured that you are kept enthralled to the end. This is a must read book. mallory goes through the paces of who the killer is and i was mystified right to the end as always their seems to be a twist . you think you know who it is, then something else you read will change your mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and pleasing, 28 Mar 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really like the macabre, showmanship of O'Connell's work. I would say it is very much a modern gothic in the tradition of Flannery O'Connor, only more toned down for public consumption. I like the dark aspects of Mallory's personality and how O'Connell makes her into an almost anti-heroine, only just hanging on to this side of the law. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, cutting edge; Mallory's world is a masterpiece!, 2 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Caroll O'Connell's writings are works of art! Beautifully rendered characters complete with physical descriptions, pasts, futures, and real personalities make the stories come to life. The lethal beauty of Mallory, the chivalrous genius Charles, gruff, slobby Riker, stressed out Coffey, maternal Helen, and Markowitz the dancing fool all enhance this book's power. Detouring from the beaten track, Carol O'Connell writes mystery like no one else! READ THIS BOOK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mallory's Oracle is a hard act to follow., 10 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Mallory's Oracle was the first book in the series and although this is not as good, it is still a good read in its own right

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard-edged, entrancing heroine, 9 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Oh, how I love Kathleen Mallory. I may not like her much, and she certainly has her own set of ethics, but I love her nonetheless. O'Connell's heroine is a perfect blend of street cop and hoodlum, with some very human weaknesses. The story moves well, with good plot and great characterization.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
excellent author

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Sep 2014
Good

The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory Novels)
The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory Novels) by Carol O'Connell (Mass Market Paperback - July 1996)