Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2000
I like all of Nora Robert's books. She has a fine eye for detail and I like the mix of romance and suspense. I enjoyed this book very much and the other two books, you can tell that she visited Ireland. Unfortunately, still viewed in a misty, dreamy way and not like it really is, but then I'm from Ireland. If you're not, then romantic image that so many Americans have of Ireland won't interfere with your enjoyment of this book.
VINE VOICEon 1 July 2011
I loved this story. There is all the elements of a typical love story. The feisty heroine who refuses to marry the arrogant hero who is madly in love with her. Add to that the world of glass blowing and the exhibition circuit and it becomes a unique love story. All the characters were great and I so wanted Maggie and Rogan to get together. I enjoyed the journey to Paris but what I would really like is to stay in Brie's bed and breakfast and visit O Malley's pub with Murphy. Maggie's cottage would I think be too basic. I know it is unlikely that rich and poor should get together so easily but nevertheless I really enjoyed it. It is part of a trilogy and the other two books are beckoning. Escapism at its best. Do try it. It is Nora Roberts at her best.
on 2 August 1999
this is the first of the "Born In" stories and the one I enjoyed most. The fire and creativity of the heroine was wonderfully believable. Her interaction with her sister and mother was very realistic. Her love story was funny and wonderful. After reading this book, I had to buy the other two, which I also enjoyed tremendously. I have read these books several times and enjoy them equally each time.
on 25 July 2012
This is book one in the Concannon series and Maggie is my favourite of the three sisters, she has fire in her blood and I love some of her comments through out the book. this has a great story and that takes first place rather than the romance dont get me wrong the romance and h.e.a is here but its the story that shines through, especialy the relationship between the two sisters and the shrew of a mother they have, I have read all three books and I never got to like the mother or feel sorry for her in any of the other books as she is just such a bitch!I felt so sorry for Maggie and the way she is treated by her mum and the way she tries to show it doesnt bother her when it clearly does, great series start here and keep going till book three!

Maggie and Brianna Concannon are two very different sisters. Brainna is very calm and gentle and both sisters suffer constant criticism from their cold-hearted mother. Maggie is an artist who works with glass she has a vile temper and likes to do as she pleases, neither sister know why their mum is so bitter and hateful towards both them and their father and when he dies their mother continues to be cold and mean.
It's Maggie's glass blowing that makes Rogan Sweeney, the international gallery owner, track her down (as she refuses to answer his calls and letters about her art)to her small cottage in County Clare. His interest in her at first is all professional, until they are alone for 5 minutes and their personalities clash and sparks begin to fly. Maggie's art is a hit and she finally starts to get paid and make a easier life for her and Bri and find a way to deal with their horrible mum! but Maggies has to face her feelings for Rogan and to decide if to take a leap of faith in their relationship, she has sworn to never get married due to being around her mum and dad and they way they were towards each other. will she trust Rogan or will she run scared?
on 6 February 1997
Nora Roberts introduces this "Born in..." trilogy with the story of Maggie Concannon, a newly discovered Irish artist. The exploration of Maggie's relationships with her parents and sister are so true-to-life and gripping that one feels as if they really know the Concannon family. Maggie's blossoming romance with Rogan Feeny is both humorous and touching, as Ms. Roberts explores the pair's very different personalities - and their overwhelming attraction for each other! A great read that left me anxious for more about Maggie and her family!
on 3 June 1998
Roberts brings the culture and atmosphere of Ireland to life with her vivid descriptions of settings and the portrayal of her Irish characters in the novel. For me, however, the fierce pride and sharp tongue of Maggie, the character of focus in this novel, made her a bit difficult to identify with. I couldn't relate to some of her loyalties or her refusals to compromise in many aspects of her life. However, it is easy to like Maggie, and reading about her adventures provided much pleasure and entertainment.
on 31 March 1999
I had read the "Dream" trilogy by Nora Roberts and taught that she could never do better than that, but when I read the "Born in" trilogy I stood corrected. Born in Fire is the best of the trilogy. I loved Maggie's tough exterior and also how Rogan made the exterior melt. I loved it and it has become one of my favorites.
on 30 April 1998
I thought that this was the beginning of a wonderful trilogy. After reading this one I couldn't wait to read the remaining two. I would recommend it to anyone even if they aren't Irish. It has emotion and it's a real page turner. One of the best reads I have ever picked up and let me tell you, I could not put it down and neither will you!!
on 2 August 1996
I loved it! It was hilarious, romantic, with its mysterious twists!! I laughed out loud! Ms. Roberts does a wonderful job of making Maggie come alive! I bought and read the trilogy and this book was definitely the best of the three, though I very much enjoyed all of them!! I would recommend it to anyone!! I love all her books!
on 23 November 2010
a pretty good book Maggie's father dies right at the beginning, and the foreshadowing is as noticeable as a neon sign. That turned me off a bit. But once you get into it, you get what you're looking for in a Nora Roberts tale: strong characters in a beautiful setting. Rogan comes off as the more likeable character, but you do warm up to Maggie over time, especially when you realize what her childhood must have been like. The details about the glass blowing are interesting at first, but do get a little repetitive. Regardless, I'm looking forward to continuing the trilogy with Briana's story.