5.0 out of 5 stars The First Book in the Sister Frevisse Series
Published on 27 May 2008 by J. Chippindale

3.0 out of 5 stars The movie's tale
The read was a bit hard going but I got into it after a while and enjoyed it. Good content.
Published 17 months ago by pauline

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Book in the Sister Frevisse Series, 27 May 2008
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Novice's Tale (Hardcover)
This is only the second book that I have read by Margaret Frazer but I was so impressed by the attention to historical detail that I will now be on the lookout for any others that I can lay my hands on. It is very refreshing at a time when a lot of the historical novels being churned out at the moment are mediocre in the extreme to find an author who loves her subject and is prepared to take the time to research it. Many authors think that the time taken to research their subject matter is better employed churning out another book. Some reader's may say that there is too much historical detail but I thought that it added more credence to the story.

The novel takes place in 1431 and has as the leading character Sister Frevisse who is soon called to hone her skills as a solver of mysteries. The arrivalo of the lusty blaspheming dowager lady Ermentrude is a shock to the system of most of the inhabitants of St. Frideswide convent, but before she can get what she came to the convent to retrieve, her niece, the novice Thomasine, the calm and tranquility of the convent is even more disrupted when she is found murdered.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 25 Feb 2013
Bubbles "bubbles" (southampton, hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love reading medieval mysteries and,I am always looking for new authors. I wasn't disappointed I couldn't put this,book down, from the first page it was gripping. I can't wait to read more of this authors books. Very original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sister Frevisse's Mysteries, 22 Feb 2013
I was pleasantly surprised . I enjoyed the Sister Frevisse Mysteries very much . I gives an insight as how life was like , even if it was a Nunnery . a Medieval Mrs Maple .

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 12 Feb 2013
Once i started reading i was gripped. Set in history a true crime story solved by nuns. The information about herbs and medicine of the day were fascinating and a grim but realistic view of the people with money of that era. Looking forward to reading more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twists and turns, 2 Feb 2013
A well written novel. Characters introduced when they first appear and are all believable. A fast paced and interesting read with an interesting twist as to who the culprits were

4.0 out of 5 stars 15thc country house murder, 4 May 2014
I had never heard of the author but at 77p why not try another writer of historical crime fiction? Set in a convent in 1431 the story rattles along with good historical detail and feel. My problem was that I didn't like the novice, Thomasine, of the title. I would really have preferred she die and Lady Ermantrude live, a nastier but more human charácter than the milksop Thomasine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very unusual mystery, 10 Mar 2014
I enjoyed this book very much, it is set in a Convent in the time of Henry V1. A very good mystery, i was kept guessing to the last chapter.

4.0 out of 5 stars of two minds, 8 Mar 2014
Found character Thomasine at times irritating. Would have enjoyed feeling the force of Frevisse sooner. Loved the character Domina like my lovely sister in law... Long gone sadly. The ending was interesting... Made the book worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Medieval mystery, 1 Feb 2014
R. Watson (Tattingstone, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good pacey read. Accurate observations of the people and the times. Interesting and believable characters. A few red herrings to keep you guessing.
The only thing that detracted from the feel of the time and the, otherwise credible, language, was the use of Americanisms such as "look out the window" "go get" etc.
However, I enjoyed it and will read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start., 28 Jan 2014
First time I've read a book by this author, I'm sure it won't be the last. Nice easy read nicely written.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Novice's Tale
The Novice's Tale by Margaret Frazer (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01