TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2005
Dela and her brother Max are part of Dirk and Steele, a "detective agency" formed by their Grandparents. Their international agency specialises in the impossible; their motto; "help those in need, no matter how difficult, and no matter what, keep the secret safe". No member of Dirk & Steele can truly be regarded as "normal" and Dela herself displays not only a strange affinity to metal, creating both works of art and deadly weaponry with a skill no one else can match, but also has limited powers of clairvoyance. Despite her own psychic abilities and her knowledge of others, Dela has difficulty believing in magic; until during a trip to China she witnesses a beautiful man emerge from an ancient wooden box she purchased.

Cursed over 2000 years ago by a powerful Magi, Hari is under the full control of his owner, the person who purchases the small exquisite box he lives in. Betrayed following the death of his sister, he no longer has the ability to shape shift into his tiger form; and after encountering many cruel masters in his long past, he has difficulty believing that Dela really intends to release him from his curse and not command him for her own purposes. As with his previous masters, Hari is bound to Dela until her death and in no way anticipates discovering his new owner is his mate.

Dela herself is a fantastic character. Strong but vulnerable, she in no way overpowers or emasculates the equally strong men in her life, instead she stands firm to her beliefs, confident in both her own abilities and the strange skills of those around her. When she finds herself caught up in escalating events, not all of which are connected to Hari, she obtains the assistance of some very unusual friends. Not only is the Magi who cursed Hari still alive, he wants Hari back for sinister purposes and to accomplish his plan he needs Dela dead. Unfortunately he is not the only one who plans her death; Dela also faces lethal threats from the Chinese Mafia when she returns to America.

I have been left berating myself for not purchasing this book several months ago when it was first recommended to me. I have to add that although there is nothing new with the story line in "Tiger Eye", in fact Sherrilyn Kenyon and Gena Showalter have both written extremely similar good books ("Fantasy Lover" and "The Pleasure Slave"); however neither SK nor GS included such a red hot shape shifter in their respective stories - Hari is one major hottie!! Marjorie Liu has created something unique even amid a not so unique plot, weaving together modern day psychic powers, ancient magics, shape shifters of various forms and deadly revenge to create a wonderful romance. This is a great book containing at least another 4 or 5 vividly drawn characters who seriously deserve their own stories (strong hint to M. Liu) and I am delighted that one of these characters, the Russian ex-mafia gangster Artur is due his own story next year. He has a fantastic ability which I am sure MML will explore further in "Shadow Touch", due for publication in Feb 06 - a very long wait for a new fan!
on 18 March 2005
This is one of the best first novels I have read in ages, and I eagerly await her next book. There is no doubt that Miss Liu has a glittering career ahead of her as a writer of quality paranormal romance.

Tiger eye tells the story of Hari, a shapeshifter imprisoned in a box and at the mercy of the commands of the owner of the box for two thousand years. He has endured hardship and humiliation as a series of owners have used him as a weapon, forcing him to commit unimaginable acts of cruelty and degredation. His fortunes change when Dela Reece, a human with mystical powers over metal, buys the box in a chinese market. She makes it clear from the first that she has no time for slavery, but is prepared to be Hari's friend and to help him overcome the curse placed on him by an evil Magi. Gradually, they come to friendship and then love, but have to battle Dela's enemies as well as his before they can find happiness.

What makes this book so good is a combination of features-a complex and coherent plot, an excellent prose style,excellent characterisation, and at it's heart, a tender and passionate love story. There were also a range of secondary characters who would make excellent material for a sequel-I understand this is in the works and look forward to learning more about this fascinating cast of characters, and also to meeting Dela's brother, who is referred to but never actually appears in this story. This book is praised by Chritine Feehan, and I am a fan of her Dark series, but frankly, this book is even better.It was a joy to read, and I recommend it to all lovers of paranormal romance
on 2 September 2011
TIGER EYE is set in a world filled with extraordinary magic, hidden from ordinary people. Even those who are privy to the world of magic can be surprised by it; namely by the existence of shape-shifters. For Hari, a cursed shape-shifting tiger, magic is locked away from him, along with his freedom, by a Magi, resulting in thousands of years of slavery. Dela, a spunky, yet somewhat lonely artist, may be the answer to his freedom; if she can resist using the power she welds over him as his current mistress.

I really liked the different magics introduced in this book, and the idea of the agency protecting those with magic. Hari and Dela make interesting protagonists, however I thought some of the secondary characters, both in personality and intrigue sometimes out-shun them.

Among books about shape-shifters and changlings, TIGER EYE would not top the selection, but despite this, TIGER EYE was still a good read, and I may even pick up other books in the series (Dirk & Steele series).
on 28 April 2006
This is one of my all-time favourite romances and firmly on the keeper shelf!

I have to admit that I'm not a huge paranormal story fan, but this book had me captivated. The love story between Hari (the shape shifting tiger trapped in a riddle box by a curse) and Dela (who has got her own kind of unusual powers) is poignant, believable and develops from cautious respect into intense passion, based on the characters' depth of emotions for each other. Regrettably, there are only a couple of love scenes - but that's just my personal opinion. The story in which Dela and Hari are placed is good, but secondary to the development of their relationship. Actually, I found that the story became clearer in the next book "Shadow Touch" (which I also highly recommend).

I believe it's worth a read and I think Marjorie M. Liu is a talented author with a vivid imagination. Can't wait for her next book!
on 17 November 2009
The rest of the reviewers have described the story so i'll keep it brisk. Basically the story line and plot os great, action packed etc.. the idea is great, man in a box from thousands of years ago etc. (plenty of people have used this theme, showalter/kenyon). The action was good and believable, however the scenes of intimacy were in fact lukewarm and non descriptive, this is adult genre paranormal romance, and the romance was mediocre at best. bearing that in mind i have only given it a four star. because some interesting charectors were introduced i ordered the first 4 books, dean/artur etc and found they were also lacking in the intense romance dept. so for an action adventure its good for a paranormal "romance" adult genre it was lacking. such a shame because it was a clever story, only to be let down by the main theme of believable romance.
on 13 February 2010
Looking for something different, a bit bored with the usual romances, I came across this. It had mixed reviews but thought it was worth a try.
I absolutely loved it! Have not read a book for a long time that was this unput downable.
Wish i had ordered no 2 at the same time.
on 19 March 2013
Funnily enough I read the first book of the series last. So, after reading all the books and gathering more information I wanted to read Hari's and Dela's book.
I liked it, I liked Dean and Blue and Artur and Eddie (my boys). I Got jealous when Blue showed interest in Dela's friend even though I know they don't end up together, but hey, I loved his book and don't like him with anyone else, lol.
What I didn't like was that these two kind of got together too fast and I never thought I would think that, but there you go. They are bascially all but inlove after their first day and while I get it with their bond, it just didn't work. In some books it does, but in this book it didn't!
While I read it and didn't hate it, I didn't become obsessed over it and it's a book I could give or take.
on 30 May 2015
A surprisingly good start to a series. I purchased this book as I was intrigued and had a gift card to spend after my birthday. So, this book. It was well written, with strong characters. It was a believable world and I can see the potential in this series. I was a bit wary of the main characters falling in love so quickly but that's just me. It was kind of nice to see though. There was enough intrigue to keep me going and a well rounded, well thought out plot to keep me happy. I know other reviewers have given low ratings etc over this book but I really didn't find any problem with this book.
on 10 October 2014
An excelent book which has opened up an entirely new author to me highly recommend her dirk steel books
on 24 February 2013
I love Marjorie M Liu, her novels are amazing and so well written. She writes stories that allow you to lose yourself and you find yourself journeying along with the characters that you are reading about, you actually get a glimpse of what they are going through and can metaphoracally speaking experience everything that they do.