5.0 out of 5 stars Katie goes a vampire hunting with hysterical results!
Published on 5 Jan 2004 by Deborah MacGillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars Flippant style
If you can get through the opening of almost forty pages of smart-mouthed girl talk during which nothing happens, you have passd your first hurdle with this book. The second hurdle is that if you're hoping for a vampire hero I'm afraid you are not going to get one. This story doesn't know whether it's playing for slapstick laughs or romance
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by Potterywhizz

3.0 out of 5 stars Flippant style, 29 Dec 2009
Potterywhizz (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie goes a vampire hunting with hysterical results!, 5 Jan 2004
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Mass Market Paperback)
Miranda is Witch...um, I mean a Wiccan (the new age Politically Correct term) and she decides to use her power to help her two friends find romance, passion and "something" to set their hearts to racing. Roxy is a 24-year-old virgin saving herself for Mr. Right and believes in the Moravian Dark Ones (obviously a take off on Best Selling Carpathians from author Christian Feehan). She just spent the night fighting off Mr. Eight-hands Octopus so she is ready for an adventure more to her taste. The other, Joyful, is "going steady" with Bradley the bore. They welcome Miranda's aid, even though it is with a nervous twitter. Miranda summons the Goddess to find the perfect mate for her friends in an evening of wine and conjuring a la Witches of Eastwick. And like Eastwick's witches they get more they bargained for...
Miranda foretells Roxy will meet her true love before the moon rises and sets again. Joy is ready to giggle until her turn comes. Miranda warns Joy will take a trip. Well duh? This does not impress Joy because Roxy and she are leaving to go to Czech Republic the next day. But when Miranda cautions a child of darkness will cross Joy's path, Joy gets the shivers. Miranda stresses Joy should not be swayed by his dark ways, however, there is another - one who stands in the shadows behind him. He is the one she should fear. Her immortal soul was in the balance, so she must choose wisely.
As the Girl arrive in the Czech Republic, they land smack in the middle of a Goth Festival - nightly till 2 a.m. for a week. Since everyone is dressed as a vampire and vamping around, how is Joy to tell the real Carpathian...um, I mean Moravian Dark Ones for the imitation one? Is it Dominic in his Chris Lee cape, white makeup and the fake fangs? Or it is the sedate and commanding Raphael St. John?
Roxy, the expert on Dark Ones, swears Raphael, while being definitely attractive, is not a vampire. After all, everyone saw him drinking a beer and every well-versed Moravian expert knows Dark Ones cannot drink anything but blood until after The Joining. Only, Roxy believe Dominic IS a Dark One while Joy thinks he is nothing but a high-camp ham. Also, she witnesses Raphael dumping his beer in a potted plant when no one was looking!
Dominic is the head of the troop of so-called vamps going to Goth Fairs all over Europe entertaining, and it is clear he is Raphael's boss. Within minutes of first meeting them, Joy and Roxy learn there is a trail of dead women leading from town to town in the wake of the Vampire Troop. Is Dominic or Raphael really a vampire and preying on the women who come to the festivals - just like Roxy and Joy - or is it the strange Tanya who seems too possessive of Dominic and is caught lurking around Roxy and Joy's hotel rooms?
If matters were not getting so heated up - with Dominic suddenly taking an interest in Joy - much to Roxy and especially Tanya's distress - Joy would laugh at everything, equating Dominic's vamp imitation on par with Grandpa of The Munsters. I mean when a man in white makeup and fake fangs threatens to fulfil all your darkest fantasies, no matter how extreme, would you really take him seriously?
Joy feels the sexy, amber-eyes Raphael is the real vampire, though Roxy will hear none of it. Despite this suspicion, Joy cannot help but fall for Raphael - LITERALLY, several times!! So what is a gal to do?? Join Joyful clumsily learns the ins and outs of dealing with vampires - fake and real - in this warm and funny tale.
Katie MacAlister gives you a howling good time - as she always does - lovingly poking fun and the Vampire genre and the fans who devouring them. Coming soon is Sex and the Single Vampire...I cannot wait!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book i've ever read?, 23 July 2010
Quite possibly the worst book i've ever read. The only reason I finished it was because it was so bad I had to see how it ended!
Terrible story, badly written, and a serious lack of research on just about every subject she's written about.
I've never read any other books by Katie MacAlister in the past, and because of this shoddy effort, I don't plan to in the future.
Don't waste your time. Really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read most of Katie MacAlister's books and I have to say that this has got to be one of her best books. Parts of it had me laughing out loud and I just could not put down the book until I had finished. I only hope that Katie MacAlister decides to tell Christian's story in a future book. I really would recommend this book to any fans of Ms MacAlister.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and funny, 29 Sep 2010
I flew through this book very quickly, which is a testament to how easy a read it was. I enjoyed the story, even though it had it's own slant on Vampire lore. The voice of the narrator often sounds masculine, which is odd when the author is a lady. The characters were funny, even though only the main ones were studied in any detail. I see this is part of a series so I guess there is plenty of scope for further development there. Not gory or gruesome but steamy in places. I would definitely want to read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Nov 2009
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Witty, romanitic and histeical, this is a great read! Especially as I am, like Joy, obsessed with Vampire romance novels, which is why I purchased this book, and I'm so glad I did!
So, what are you reading the reviews for? Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow starter, but worth the perseverance!, 4 May 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As a self-confessed vampire freak - I sneaked this book to the top of my To Be Read pile as a treat. This is the first of Katie MacAllister's books that I've read and based on this I'd definitely read more.

A Girl's Guide to Vampires isn't perfect - but it's very good. To be honest, I found it a really slow starter. But I always persevere with books even if I'm not hooked straight away - and I'm glad because the story hotted up considerably! The tale is told from the point of view of Joy Randall. She and her best friend Roxy go on holiday to the Czech Republic, as Roxy is a complete vampire obsessive and in particular a huge fan of an author called C.J. Dante. Roxy's determined they will meet this famous writer and pump him for information about 'The Dark Ones' he writes about in his novels. Joy herself enjoys the books, but doesn't believe the content is real, unlike her friend.

Needing a change of scenery, Joy is happy to go along. The girls arrive to find the locals friendly, and the country beautiful. Soon, though, the girls are attracting quite a lot of attention, and not always of the good kind...

To make matters worse, Joy is experiencing weird visions which appear to be projected upon her by an unknown vampire; and she is pursued by three sinister suitors, and in making her choice from one of them - things become even more topsy-turvy!

This book is a mad wild-goose chase, with a lovely mix of romance, lust and steaming hot sex. I always enjoy a book containing vampires and bedroom naughtiness - and this is no exception. As I said, it was a real slow starter in my opinion, but give it chance because the rest of the book is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 14 Mar 2007
This review is from: A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Mass Market Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this first book of the Dark One series. The characters were fun and bubbly (the women) and quite hilarious and the guys were dark and brooding. I was pleased with the ending to the story which gave a great twist and I can't wait for the next one! I love Katie Macalister's books and this one was no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 2 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the book especially since there was a kind of love triangle involved. And like the other reviewer, i hope Kate Macalister writes about Christian as well. He's got that soul damned tortured hero vibe going for him! A definate keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, had to finish in one sitting, misleading title, 25 May 2011
The title and a summary of the Dark Ones put me off buying this book last month - don't let it stop you. It's not a guide for girls at all, not aimed at younger teenagers as I previously thought as the relationship is too hot for young teenagers but not M and Boon either.
I rarely laugh out loud at the funny scenes/ dialogue in books but this one had me gawguffing aloud quite frequently.
For me, it had a good balance of what I currently want out of a book - interesting plot right until the end, laughs, romance and modern, plus original vampires. Maybe the romance moved a tiny little bit quickly at the beginning of the relationship but not unrealistic if looked at in context, (it's fiction), the character is on holiday and youngish and the love interest is hot.....
I've read a review criticising the dialogue but I feel the author has it spot on for this tale- plus it's genuinely funny and sassy. The vamps don't make an immediate entry in chapter one, but they feature heavily in various ways in the book (without giving spoilers I can't add to this). The plot moves quickly enough for me with interesting twists and turns along the way to make you wonder about the final choice up until the end; like I've mentioned, I let my children run feral and finished the book in one sitting.

I really enjoyed this book and I think it deserves five stars (which I don't give out easily) so I'm just off to kindle the next one ;-)

A Girl's Guide to Vampires
A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister (Mass Market Paperback - Oct 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01