Published 19 months ago by Petra just a girl who loves to...

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but poor choice of colour theme/illustrations
There are some lovely ideas in this book that work thematically throughout with the aim to encourage a thoughtful child aware of nature,science and relationships between that and everyday life. Lovely idea.

It's just a shame it looks like a reissue of something from the 60s which makes it difficult to read at times especially paler yellows and greens...
Published 21 months ago by Lilyfae

5.0 out of 5 stars a good book which opens up the world and science to little ones., 31 Oct. 2013
Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book ... (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Big World: Facts and fun, questions and answers, things to make and do (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Big World is a great book full of things to do for children who are four and over. Personally I would think any younger and the tasks within would not really be interesting for their little minds. Our five years old who has just started school and already learning about the world including his favourite the nature table. This book for him was perfect as he was soon engrossed and having fun learning how everything works and his favourite question for a long time is why? So within this book it helped us explain to him why the leaves fall of the tree and the bird feeder a huge hit was and he was soon ready for his next quest. I love how the publishers have the very colourful and sometimes very busy pictures but as our wee man love looking at pictures and searching for items within the picture this is a great book for him.
I would recommend to anyone who has children 4-6 who like to know how things work and what nature is all about. My Big World Facts and fun, questions and answers things to make and do are a great book for all the budding boffins or nature lovers in our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Big World, 27 Sept. 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautiful first introduction to science and geography for the 3-6 age group (approx), which is packed with lots of facts and things to make and do. The subjects covered are set within headings that young children will understand - 'my lunch','my home', 'at the beach', etc. Double pages introduce subjects such as types of animals, where food comes from, around town, day and night and the seasons. Children have all sorts of fun activities to do - little mini games, songs, things to make (a bird feeder, a mini garden, a rocket panel, etc) and the whole book is attractively designed and full of bright pictures and photographs. This would be a great buy for the small, inquisitive person in your family, and sure to engage them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good balance between learning and fun activities, 2 Sept. 2013
@iGlinavos (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a large book, printed on A3 with a nice colourful cover. The topics covered are presented in a little ToC at the beginning ranging from family, lunch, home, garden to animals, the ocean and the earth. The illustrations are mixing styles, from drawings pictures and prints, to what appea to be paper cut out photos. There is not a great deal of text, so the book will not overwhelm kids in the 4-6 age group. It offers a good balance of information with activities. This is a book that of course invites the parents to work with the child to produce various things and learn in the process. Overall it is well conceived and well produced. I think it will be a lot of fun and certainly worth getting at a reasonable RRP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get them thinking., 26 Sept. 2013
Stucumber "Stucumber" (N. Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Small children are naturally curious but that hunger can, if not fed, fade with time. Being a father of a young boy, I can attest from personal experience that you can never sate their curiosity, at most an answer to a question will give a parent or carer a brief respite while the child mulls over their new knowledge and turns in to a brand new question. Often they can surprise you with a question that you never expected and equally often one you'll struggle to answer. It's not always easy to come up with the correct answer or to express it in a form that younger children will easily get.

OKIDO, a design studio, seek to produce books aimed at this age range, that satisfy and peak a child's curiosity, whilst also being beautiful books in their own right. They are largely successful and in 'My Big World' the focus is on, as you'd expect, the world, both the natural and the human-made and how a person fits in and interacts with it.

So we begin with looking at the differences and similarities between people, this leads to our food and where we live, which lead to where our food comes from and the built world, which in turn lead to an exploration of the varying types of geographical environments and the creatures and plants within them. The focus expands toward the end of the book, touching on geology, weather etc to build a picture of the whole Earth before expanding to encompass the Solar System briefly.

Each subject is treated to either a single page or usually one, two or sometimes even three double-page spreads. With a focus on good design and contemporary illustration, the pages supply a suitable amount of information and explanation without cramming in too much and avoiding unnecessary information. That said, I found some of the illustrations weren't good in less than bright light being either too dark, too light or lacking contrast enough to easily discern, but we did find the pages were, in general, interesting and attention grabbing.

Generally there is an attempt to make the reader an active participant in the book by either getting the child to interact with the page (perhaps by taking their fingers for a walk through the mountains, for example) or with hands-on activities (making nutshell boats or cooking). Passive learning is probably the least good way to develop an understanding and OKIDO have created as interactive a book as they can.

Being an OU student of environmental and geology courses as well as a dad, I was very interested in this book. Not every parent is going to have the 'right answers' to all of a child's questions or be able to properly simplify them, such that having a resource like this to share and enjoy is a positive benefit, to my mind. I think it is a brilliant introduction to geography and Earth sciences for the small and is a fun-packed, generally well-designed, addition to the home library as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 24 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really fascinating book. My little boy has just turned three, so some of the content, as you would expect, are currently beyond his comprehension (and indeed, interest). However, he's enjoyed lots of its content so far. The book explores the world, well, many facets of it at least. This ranges from the people within it and how we are the same yet different (eye colour, our hair and so on) to rooms within our homes, and their contents.

It explores animals, towns, the countryside, the ocean etc etc. There are questions throughout the book which parents/carers can ask their children as they go through the book, to aid the children's learning and comprehension of new topics. I have read several sections of the book to my little boy so far, asking him the questions as we go, and he has pointed out pictures on the page, naming things, making animal noises and so on.

This is, I feel, a book my little boy will get a lot of enjoyment from, not just now, but in the future too given the nature of some of the activities contained within it (games with dice and counters, for example).

The one drawback, for me, is the illustrations. I wasn't overly fond of the style of the illustrations but that's just my opinion - the target audience, i.e. my son, seemed perfectly happy with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and sunny, but patchy light fog in places, 24 Sept. 2013
antom "antom" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our 3 year old has really taken to this book, which helps children find out about rivers, oceans, plants, animals, mountains, space, the weather etc. The publishers recommend 4+ years, and some of the games and things to make are definitely more suited to older children, but there is also much for younger children to enjoy (though toddlers might prefer the simpler Big Book of My World which our son absolutely loved at that age).

The large pages offer many useful illustrations and simple diagrams, with much to discuss. The text is simple, but informative and includes helpful questions.

My only criticism is that, while most of the illustrations are bold and clear, a few have subdued colours, which fogs their detail. And occasionally the contrast between the background colour and the text is weak, which could present problems for some readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to entertain young children, 21 Oct. 2013
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a sort of beginner's geography and science for children, helping little people develop an awareness for all that is around them. Topics such as farms, rivers, animals, weather, garden are covered with a mixture of interactive reading, fun projects and games. The interactive reading is quite advanced, but it's the projects which really make this book - eg. making your own mini garden, bird feeder, and vegetable kebabs, and growing seedlings.

The suitable age range for this is quite wide... it is good for adults when looking for something to do with 3 year olds but don't let the little treasures too near the book with pens and crayons. The more obvious target though is for 4-6 year olds. There's plenty to interact with them (ie. supervised) but also when they are older they can use the book themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but poor choice of colour theme/illustrations, 16 Aug. 2013
Lilyfae (West Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Sure certain groups of people may enjoy the retro look, simplistic illustration and natural colours in print choices but this is more interesting to a parent/grandparent than the child in my opinion who would be drawn to clearer, higher contrast to white and less 'muddy' colours and more defined illustrations.

It seems more of a gift for parents than of real interest for a child but there are some lovely ideas to do with a child.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Facts!, 7 Oct. 2013
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a large, high quality book and it looks absolutely fantastic. From the bright and fun front cover to the large, glossy pages this book is a real draw for kids of a wide variety of ages. Included within the book are a number of themes all relating to the world and each topic is covered in a slightly different way.

There are things to make, board games to play and other pages which just contain facts presented in an interesting and engaging format. It really is suitable for kids young and old, which means that if you buy it for a younger child it may last them for a number of years without them getting bored.

Overall this is educational, fun and very well presented indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun and learning for the young, 24 Oct. 2013
S. Jones (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a book with a lot to offer for children of primary school age, particularly the younger end of the year groups. We're looking forward to trying some of the projects with our 4 year old when half term arrives.

There are lots of things to do - for example we're looking forward to making a bird feeder and the mini garden seems as though it should be good too - and plenty of interesting facts, well presented, to help children find out about the world.

Some of the illustrations as others have mentioned could be clearer, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by how much value this book adds to a curious boy's exploration of the world in general.

My Big World: Facts and fun, questions and answers, things to make and do