5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one of the Photography books of the year!
I first saw this book in the Tate Modern and put of buying it until I got back home, knowing Amazon was cheaper. I then put off buying it again and it was soon sold out at Amazon! I finally got the last copy at the Tate Modern and hence my first lesson learnt is buy books from Amazon when you see them, not later.

To the book ...

It is a truly...
Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by A. J. Grogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little bit too uncritical
Street photography is clearly not easy. The shifting composition of the street, the difficulty of getting close enough (but maybe not too close), and the modern suspicion of photography in public places all combine to make it a challenge.

Published 20 months ago by Stewart M

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Photography, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
Although not a 5* this book does have some interesting photos and annotations to go with them. I would not recommend this to all photographers as you may be disappointed with the content. The front cover seems to be one of the more interesting photos in this Album. Get it if you are interested in Street Photography only not as a general photographers buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any photography fan, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
I bought this book as a gift for a friend who enjoys photography. My purchase was based on reviews and I was very impressed when I had a flick through both before wrapping it and after my friend had unwrapped it! The quality of the pictures is excellent and I'm even thinking of buying another one for myself so that I can have a proper read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little bit too uncritical, 28 Oct. 2013
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)

This rather good book looks at the work of a number of street photographers, who all meet these, and other challenges, in a variety of ways to produce a body of varied and interesting work.

There are a number of longer chapter that explore the "philosophy" of street photography, as well as shorter accounts of the specific works of each photographer. So far so good.

Many of the pictures are really interesting - full of great composition, found humor and visual puns. And even on repeat viewing (and reading) I found things I had not noticed before. Still so good so far.

But I can help wonder about some of the images here. Some of the pictures seem to be about the power of the photographer to show people in as ugly a light as possible; the awkward looks on peoples faces, the distortion caused by short focal length lenses, the broken clothes. Here the power rests with the photographer who seems to be saying -"look at these" and of course, "don't look at me, because I am not like that".

I am not suggesting that street photography should be all about cute dogs and bunches of flowers, but the ethic of ugliness seems to go unchallenged.

This is an interesting book that I would recommend - but I think some sections would benefit from a more critical eye.

4.0 out of 5 stars A voice of optimism for a beleagured genre, 20 Oct. 2012
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
I applaud the authors of this book for providing a beacon of hope and inspiration for practitioners and fans of a branch of photography which is subject to intense public scrutiny and the usual, knee jerk reactions to something which is popularly perceived to be immoral or tainted.

It shows us that, rather than exploiting or embarrassing, street photography is a genre that turns a light on our lives and shows the fleeting juxtapositions that come to together all to fleetingly. The decisive moment beats strong throughout this book and the personalities of the photographers shine through as they show us the humour, banality, confusion and riot of emotions that are happening all round us on a daily basis.

It takes a quick mind to pull all of the fugitive elements together to make a stand out street photograph and, luckily, this book gives us examples from the worlds best practitioners of this darkest of arts.

There are several informative essays which evoke a good overview of the state of street photography today. The images, of course are the real interest and the book is a brilliant way to get the creative juices flowing.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring., 19 April 2013
Chaz Dee (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
I think this book is inspiring for anyone who is interested in street photography. As a photography student I have used it as research for my own street photography project, though you won't find it extremely useful for academic usage, but it's good as reference. Though I sometimes focus more on other aspects of photography I'm sure if I pick up this book for five minutes I'll be eager to get back on the streets to see what I capture, and I'm sure many other photographers will feel the same way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
This is a fair book, featuring a lot of photographers.
I liked exposing myself to so many different ways of street photography. I think it's pretty much certain that anyone will find at least a few photographers that he will like and follow his work.
It is also very inspiring to see so many different things, it drives you to take your camera and go for a walk to try some new things, to see things with a different eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great street photography tips, 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
I really like this book. Its well put together and really has inspired me to go hang around the streets and take my camera. I love the front cover, it is such a simple shot but so effective, and there are hundreds of these shots which with a little inspired imagination you can recreate. I have now lost it for a couple of weeks as a friend saw it and borrowed it, but I have advised her that she really should buy her own!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the 'spirit' of Street Photography as well as great photographs, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
A brilliant book - as good on the 'philosophy' and 'spirit' of Street Photography as it is on presenting images by outstanding practitioners. Add to this the film and websites of Nick Turpin and 'in-Public' and above all Nick Turpin's film about street photography and this is a great introduction to Street Photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than simply a coffee table book, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
I bought this book for mostly aesthetic reasons - a nice book to leave on the coffee table and for people to flick through. I was genuinely surprised though at how absorbed I become when reading the interviews inside. It has the perfect balance between text and photos. It is printed on very good quality paper and it is over a hundred pages long. I have lots of 'coffee table' type books, and this is the only one I've actually really read through properly. It isn't simply a book full of pretty pictures, it is an in depth look into the art behind street photography.

Seeing as I only had a passing interest in photography, it has actually inspired me to give it further attention. It is a genuinely fascinating and good looking book. It would also make an ideal gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Street Photography Now (Paperback)
Excellent book, containing really fantastic photography throughout, combined with a collection if insightful essays about the future of street photography. Also contains background on the photographers in each of the sections.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Street Photography Now
Street Photography Now by Stephen McLaren (Hardcover - 6 Sept. 2010)
Used & New from: £29.96