‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make a great modern advertising! Then push it further!, 30 Sep 2008
I'm a junior art director doing the rounds with my book in the North and South of England. I have read many advertising books, and I have to say this one is a breath of fresh air. It is the first one that really addresses the modern issues of advertising.

Why this book is brilliant; It is like reading the "creative advertising" book by Mario Pricken but 10 times better because it tells you how to make campaigns and not "one-shot" ads. It deconstructs adverts as recent as Apples "I'm A Mac, I'm a PC" and Fallon's great Skoda work.
It also has loads of useful advice which I could spend all day talking about. (but I won't spoil it)

I cannot recommend this book enough to any young creative team who feels lost after graduating. Agencies will tell you many different things but this book finds the middle ground and will help you find the right path quicker. My only complaint is that this book didn't come out sooner.

Probably the best book since Hey Whipple Squeeze This.
Well done Pete Barry!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it more than 5 stars I would, 24 Feb 2011
I have never written a review on Amazon before even though I have been buying things from amazon for years years. However, I just had to write a review on this book as it is absolutely fantastic in every aspect. I've been a junior art director for 3 months and I got around 10 advertising/art direction books this christmas, none of which came close to how informative and useful this one is. I'm only 3/4 of the way through it, and if I could award it 6,7,8,9..even 10 stars I genuinely would. It is such a refreshing change to see a book with ads brought back to scamp basics. Of course they are obviously not the originals, but they still does the same trick of communicating the raw idea to the reader without the frills of macced up visuals.

It has tons and tons of useful examples of drawn adverts, advice, information, techniques and useful tips throughout which the author refers back to continously (including page numbers) making a new point, or to underline a previous one. This makes the book an incredibley enjoyable and sueful read. It also features brilliant examples of students work which again is a refreshing change for a published book. I wish I had this book when I was at university it would have been so useful to recieve and be able to breakdown information which you will really only learn from your peers in the ad industry.

To sum up the best book I have ever bought in terms of advertising/art direction and a must buy for students, juniours, medium weight and I would even dare I say it senior art directors. I genuinely cannot give this book enough credit in a review, you really will have to buy it yourself to see.

I can guarentee I will have this book by my side for the rest of my career. Hats off to you Mr Pete barry

5.0 out of 5 stars He obviously listened., 12 July 2010
Many years ago, Peter Barry was a student of mine on the Watford Creative Ad Course .
He was always attentive. Always making notes. He was as alert as a fox on the run.

Peter was incredibly enthusiastic on the processes of lateral strategic thinking.

He would love talking about creativity and rationalising on how the creative mind cracks marketing problems.

It's great to see his thoughts published in this easy to use and highly enjoyable book.

Many of my graduates could write a book on creative advertising but I don't think any of them could produce a book that was so incisive, enlightening and practical.

This is simply the best book any aspiring advertising creative can buy.

Tony Cullingham. Tutor/Leader Watford Creative Ad Course.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all here., 9 Mar 2009
A Kid's Review
The Advertising Concept Book: Think Now, Design Later I wish Pete Barry had written this book eight years ago when I started teaching advertising creativity. On the other hand, I'm madly jealous that he's gone and done it before I got round to it. Buy this book and you won't need to go to college or university. As good as attending the Miami Adschool. Reproducing all example ads as pencil drawing is genius - it proves that the great ideas do not date - it's content not style that matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally satisfactory, 24 Nov 2009
G. Rozzo "\ / | ( []" (london) - See all my reviews
This is a great one! First of all it is visually intriguing. The drawing style the author decides to use to represent each and every image in the book is an escamotage that allow us to get straight into the second reading level, without being dazed by the colours, the textures or whatever makes ads so attractive. This way its like we already know something more even before starting reading the book!
Moreover the content is not at all superficial. This is a real text book, from A to Z, about advertising, just extremely exciting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cover!!, 17 Jan 2012
I bought this book for my husband who runs his own advertising company & also teaches part time.This book has been within arms reach(his!) for the last month.It is now covered in hundreds of colourful little " post its"and despite having bought him many a well reviewed "Advertising" book over the last 20 years ,he is RAVING about this one.I have never written a review for a book on Amazon before but felt I had to with this one.I know I haven't given any practical information but I'd also like to mention that the photograph of the book DOES NOT do it justice.It has a FABULOUS cover, which is beauty in its simplicity.Great Christmas present and according to the one who knows his stuff in my house,a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read guide to visual presentation, 11 Feb 2011
Clearly, a superb reference for the advertising creatives out there.

I am not one such beast, but was piqued by the idea that visual communication is often about convincing the audience to the merit of the presentation.

To that end, I received the book yesterday and have been devouring the content since. It is eye opening stuff, challenging the use of image and typography with copious examples from the real world, coupled with guidance and exercises to stimulate the creative process in the context of the strategy and campaign outcomes desired.

I urge anyone involved in the job of influencing outcome via presentation to acquire and review the contents. It will make an impression on the dull, dubious, duplicated powerpoints you deliver to your audience today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply GREAT!!!, 2 April 2010
Best book on advertising one can buy. I wasn't disappointed once from page 1 till the end. The author is clear and concise and, more important, knows what he's talking about. If you wanna become a copywriter or an art director or you're simply interested in knowing how advertising works and see some immortal masterpieces this is the book for you. To be honest, this is a book for everyone - it's pure genius!
If you're still wondering ... yes, it's worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good buy., 24 Nov 2009
T. Griffin (London) - See all my reviews
really great read, no nonsense, no jargon, a real help with my current advertising unit at uni. Big and chunky, definitely got my moneys worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good attempt at a difficult topic, 31 Jan 2014
The author seems to have used 'reconstructed' crreative scamps rather than actula work in progress, which I think would have been more useful - if difficult to achieve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Advertising Concept Book: Think Now, Design Later
The Advertising Concept Book: Think Now, Design Later by Pete Barry (Hardcover - 14 May 2012)
15.30