5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
Published on 10 Sept. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book spoilt by inappropriate binding!
The photographs in the book are secular and are some of the best geographical pictures you will ever see. However, as they just about all spread over two pages, I find it hard to imagine why the book was not bound at the edge instead of the centre right through the middle of the pictures.
Published on 21 Mar. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 10 Sept. 2000
This review is from: The Earth from the Air (Hardcover)
I came across this book in les Jardins de Luxembourg in Paris in July 2000. Many of the images were displayed on the railings around the park and the book and posters, postcards etc were being sold from a marquee in the park. The book was selling like hot cakes and I almost bought one even though it was in French and my French is rather poor! What stopped me was that I expected an English version would be published because even though the photographs speak for themselves, the text is necessary for full enjoyment of this book.
The images are superb. They are not simply a record of our planet from the sky, they are beautiful works of art, taken by someone with more than just an eye for a photograph. The text which accompanies each image is informative and sometimes thought-provoking and there is just enough text to create the correct balance in what is, after all, a book of photographs. But what a book!

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic visuals, shame about the overall design, 3 Oct. 2001
This review is from: The Earth from the Air (Hardcover)
Along with other reviewers I too found the images in this book stunning, moving, and at times the most beautiful I have ever seen. it brings into sharp relief the damage we are doing to the planet we live on, whilst at the same time highlighting the beauty (which we will no doubt continue to destroy) I too was frustrated by the layout, as the photographs are spread across two pages it ruins the visual impact. Even more frustrating is the fact that in France a single page papaerback fomat is available (approx half the size) with the photographs on one page. Maddeningly this is only printed in France!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most outstanding testimonies about our planet, 18 Jan. 2000
This review is from: The Earth from the Air (Hardcover)
This book is one the most outstanding and dramatic testimonies about our planet featuring incredible places and people. The Earth showed from a different angle by a great artist.
I met Yann Arthus Bertrand when some friends and I invited him to Peru to include this country in his fantastic project. We met not only one of the best photographers but a man deeply in love with nature and with an enormous sensitivity and passion for beautiness. Bigger than anything is his modesty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful images, faulty design., 6 Aug. 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I saw Yann Arthus-Bertrand's exhibition many years ago in the yard of the Natural History Museum in London and fell in love with his photography. This wonderful postcard book is a splendid way to share these amazing images with your family and friends. The postcards are A5 size and have each a little paragraph on the back describing the image. There is, of course, space for your own message, stamp and address.

My only complaint is that it is almost impossible to rip the postcards from the book! Every time I tried I damage the postcard. You really have to spend some time folding and unfolding the book (which is quite tightly joined together) to remove the postcards.

P.S. I am a bit puzzled about the other reviews as my book has one postcard per page, not spread across two pages, and when you remove one postcard, you have still a whole book to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating pictures - with great commentary, 6 April 2002
This review is from: The Earth from the Air (Hardcover)
The book is split into chapters, all with a different theme, and each picture is accompanied by a short paragraph explaining where and what the photo is. These captions can be seen at the same time as the photo, due to the clever use of opening flaps. Each chapter is introduced by a longer, interesting essay. The book concentrates on the state our planet is in at the moment, and looks at this by using the photographs. This is a great book if you love looking at photos, learning about our planet or just love books! The pictures are all beautiful and you can get many hours out of browsing through this book. It is a very large book, and some photos are over a double page spread, which allows for huge photos. If you are in any doubt, buy it, you won't be disappointed :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Large quality picture postcards, as a book, 20 Jan. 2010
Lynda Perry "Lynpy" (West Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Exactly as you would expect, picture postcards edge-bound like a book. Printed on card and equally suited as a book of photos or as individual postcards ready for the post (still need stamps however).

5.0 out of 5 stars An awakening experience, 19 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Earth from the Air (Hardcover)
Whether you are a photographer, a enviromentalist or a average person in the street, you can't help be moved by this book. Consisting of images of mother nature in at her most supreme, within a few pages you will soon relise how fragile this planet is and how we should be doing more to take care of the splender that is all around us.
I am not a tree hugger nor a drum bashing, pot smoking tunnel digging long haired, workshy layabout. Infact I am a normal run of the mill person like you. I enjoy all the rewards that hard work brings and use all the worlds resources to enhance that, I throw all my rubbish in a black bag and wait for some smelly fat bloke with a large truck to come and collect it every Thursday.
At least I was, now I am recycling a lot more and disposing of less. I am evening considering changing the car to LPG. Just doing my bit.
If this book where available on every coffee table and boardroom table in the world we would all start waking up and doing more about the way we go about our daily lives.
Do not buy this book if you want cuddly wuddly animals and fluffy little new borns - you will be sadly dissapointed. Instead it is more an insight into the planet itself, featuring beautiful images of the earth, you may even recognise somewhere near you, or where you went on holiday one time.
Buy it even if you do not want a life changing experience, it will at least be a nice record of what this place looked like before we wrecked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing photographer and an outstanding book of the earth (from air), 2 July 2013
C. Gorton - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Earth From the Air (Hardcover)
This is an amazing opportunity to see Yann's photography in large format.
If there is one book you should buy to appreciate great photography and the earth we live in, this is it.
I was very shocked to see someone had given this book one star - this must of mistyped as this book only deserves 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book spoilt by inappropriate binding!, 21 Mar. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Present You Will Buy Yourself, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Earth From the Air (Hardcover)
This book is a real treasure. It is a perfect coffee table book, delve in and out if you only have a few minutes to spare. The photos are awesome and I guarantee everyone whatever age will love it. It makes an ideal present for what ever age and is affordable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Earth From the Air
The Earth From the Air by Yann Arthus-Bertrand (Hardcover - 16 Aug. 2010)